DC Fans Don't Jump!

• 64 results
Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio

Off the nearest building that is. 

That's right, step away from the ledge, slowly. Judging from the responses to DC's big announcement yesterday, I'm concerned about the will to live in some of you. Just kidding, but I feel your concerns as fans. This isn't the end of the world. Yes, there are changes afoot but none of us know how dramatic they're going to be. I honestly have no idea what's going to happen with this but it's certainly created a buzz.   

I've noticed how many of you feel very strongly about this and I implore you to speak your mind. It is your right as a human being to express your opinion when you don't agree with something. Harass Geoff Johns on Twitter and let him know how you feel. Send DC comics an email and let the hate flow through you. Walk to the post office and mail them a letter. Hell, the last time I checked their office had a telephone. Call them up and voice your displeaure. Let them know they're not the only game in town and the fans are the ones that pay their bills. 

Above all, don't let them kill the fan in you. Look for other comic avenues to explore. You might find something you really like that you weren't even looking for. 

-DC Letters Page http://www.dccomics.com/sites/dcletterspage/ 
-DC Comics Address : 
1700 Broadway # 7
New York, NY 10019-5905
(212) 636-5400 
-Geoff Johns on Twitter: www.twitter.com/geoffjohns0

#1 Posted by Mercy_ (92080 posts) - - Show Bio

Well said.

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury: You know what thats pretty good advice, better than the "you will like it/you will hate it" you usly get. (although I'm all for the changes)
#3 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I'm on the fence right now, thinking this can be either a hit or miss situation.

#4 Posted by LordMaverick (5186 posts) - - Show Bio

not seeing the big deal here..............
#5 Posted by aztek_the_lost (30740 posts) - - Show Bio

So wait, are you saying don't jump off a building or don't jump ship and find a better publisher? Because I'd encourage the latter tbh (so you don't have to continually be put through this crap that kills the comic loving). Sure it would mean the death of my favorite publisher/imprint Vertigo but they've been steadily dying since the new management stepped in anyways. I think if they just let the ongoings they have now finish naturally (Vertigo that is), I wouldn't mind seeing DC disappear from the #2 spot and another publisher (or publishers, let's have more then just a Big "2"!) take its place in sales.

#6 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost
Don't jump off a building. I implore them to explore new comic options.
#7 Posted by Billy Batson (56869 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, too lazy :p 

BB

#8 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson
LOL
#9 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3314 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:

So wait, are you saying don't jump off a building or don't jump ship and find a better publisher? Because I'd encourage the latter tbh (so you don't have to continually be put through this crap that kills the comic loving). Sure it would mean the death of my favorite publisher/imprint Vertigo but they've been steadily dying since the new management stepped in anyways. I think if they just let the ongoings they have now finish naturally (Vertigo that is), I wouldn't mind seeing DC disappear from the #2 spot and another publisher (or publishers, let's have more then just a Big "2"!) take its place in sales.

Wait, are they getting rid of Vertigo or just incorporating it? Will Hellblazer end? If they are, they're changing the Superman I love and killing Constantine. Without them, I have no reason to read comics at all.
#10 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio

I pinned this thread for a bit.

Staff
#11 Posted by aztek_the_lost (30740 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kal'smahboi said:

@aztek the lost said:

Wait, are they getting rid of Vertigo or just incorporating it? Will Hellblazer end? If they are, they're changing the Superman I love and killing Constantine. Without them, I have no reason to read comics at all.

no, they aren't getting rid of Vertigo (yet)...but Vertigo IS dying, there's no denying that...comics are being cancelled or ended naturally and no new ones are popping up to take their place, if this doesn't change I only see a few more years in it for Vertigo...at this point all they're doing is collecting comics they've already collected and making OGN's (Vertigo Crime is still awesome)

American Vampire, Fables, Hellblazer and The Unwritten are the books I see continuing for at least three more years if any Vertigo books do but most of the other ongoings I don't see lasting that long, either because they'll end naturally by then or get cancelled...

#12 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
Well said.

Thanks my friend.
#13 Posted by Billy Batson (56869 posts) - - Show Bio
@Red L.A.M.P. said:

I pinned this thread for a bit.

for how long? 

BB

#14 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4139 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury: Excellent advice. I was never a big DC fan, but I was a huge Marvel fan and this applied to me with all their constant changes and earth shattering events. I got tired of it so I decided to look into other publishers and have enjoyed the other collections.
#15 Posted by Bruce27 (494 posts) - - Show Bio

If Bruce Wayne/Batman is written out of exsistence I'm done with DC, guess I'll have to kick it with Marvel. 

#16 Posted by danhimself (21901 posts) - - Show Bio

I still have this feeling that this is an elaborate trick being played by DC....I just can't believe that they would do this....I'm thinking that it's going to be along the lines of Heroes Reborn

#17 Posted by bigpicnic (45 posts) - - Show Bio
Is it crazy to suggest that maybe we should all read the comics before starting petitions and such?
#18 Posted by JairamGanpat (949 posts) - - Show Bio
@bigpicnic said:
Is it crazy to suggest that maybe we should all read the comics before starting petitions and such?
not a bad idea at all
#19 Posted by Telcalipoca (956 posts) - - Show Bio
@bigpicnic said:
very
#20 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4139 posts) - - Show Bio
@bigpicnic: But where is the fun in that? If you can't have a knee jerk reaction to something you see on the internet, then when can you have a knee jerk reaction?
#21 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, don't jump off a building. 

Push Geoff Johns off one instead.

#22 Posted by inferiorego (20577 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek the lost said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

@aztek the lost said:

no, they aren't getting rid of Vertigo (yet)...but Vertigo IS dying, there's no denying that...comics are being cancelled or ended naturally and no new ones are popping up to take their place, if this doesn't change I only see a few more years in it for Vertigo...at this point all they're doing is collecting comics they've already collected and making OGN's (Vertigo Crime is still awesome)

American Vampire, Fables, Hellblazer and The Unwritten are the books I see continuing for at least three more years if any Vertigo books do but most of the other ongoings I don't see lasting that long, either because they'll end naturally by then or get cancelled...

They're going to kill Vertigo. I can feel it. Why else would they bring Swamp Thing and John Constantine over to DC?

Staff
#23 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
Yeah, don't jump off a building.   Push Geoff Johns off one instead.

I knew those positive reinforcement classes were paying off!
#24 Posted by MrGutts (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@bigpicnic said:

I don't see any grey area here, you either don't like this idea of them doing this or you do like it. Why would you ask someone to waist money to give support to DC has the right idea? The only way DC is going notice is that the consumer chooses not to spend money on this idea and vote with your wallet and walk away.

They are not going to give a hoot about how many petitions or notes you send in, most likely some poor minimum wage intern will get all the letters and File 13 them all. Geoff is certainly not going to give a rats ass because he is already going with the flow of doing it, so why would he care what we think? Did DC even bother to ask the fans before doing this? Nope they did not, they are your typical mega corporation.

#25 Posted by bigpicnic (45 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrGutts said:

I don't see any grey area here, you either don't like this idea of them doing this or you do like it.

Maybe you should look harder for grey areas.

#26 Posted by MrGutts (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@bigpicnic said:

@MrGutts said:

I don't see any grey area here, you either don't like this idea of them doing this or you do like it.

Maybe you should look harder for grey areas.

I am a black and white kind of guy.

#27 Posted by cbishop (6306 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrGutts said: I don't see any grey area here, you either don't like this idea of them doing this or you do like it. Why would you ask someone to waist money ...

That's "waste money."  "Waist money" is the currency found in a stripper's g-string. ;)
#28 Posted by KillerZ (1580 posts) - - Show Bio

Since Cheetah (furry one) got raped by Wonder Woman reboot a year ago, I've kind of been staying away from DC.

#29 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

understandable killerz, im surprised they havent gotten backlash for taking the pants off her again

#30 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan of the reboot, whatsoever.

#31 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
Not a fan of the reboot, whatsoever.
Are you a Batman reader?
#32 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

I was excited by the announcement. I am rewarding the bold move by buying all the titles for at least the first six months. So far my expectations have been exceeded. I am only willing to drop one title at this point (Mr Wallace please fix Mister Terrific).

#33 Posted by CasimirAngel (148 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta say that when the DCnU was first announced, I was intrigued and excited. However, since September, I have noticed that my enthusiasm for DC comics have gone down. I still holding on to hope that my interest will re-ignite, but I gotta say, "DC, you're losing me."

#34 Posted by tylerlugowski (118 posts) - - Show Bio

sorry, I'm a little behind. Whats going on that will ruin the DC fan in us? Can somebody give me a summary of what the problem is? I absolutely love DC comics so get me in the loop!

#35 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@tylerlugowski said:

sorry, I'm a little behind. Whats going on that will ruin the DC fan in us? Can somebody give me a summary of what the problem is? I absolutely love DC comics so get me in the loop!

Pretty sure this is referring to the New 52

#36 Posted by tylerlugowski (118 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: Okay, but what about the new 52? Do people not like it?

#37 Posted by joshmightbe (24099 posts) - - Show Bio

If you do Jump make sure to stuff yourself with candy and see if you're secretly a pinata

#38 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@tylerlugowski said:

@Blood1991: Okay, but what about the new 52? Do people not like it?

Alot of fans didn't like the idea and some long time readers still hate it.

@joshmightbe said:

If you do Jump make sure to stuff yourself with candy and see if you're secretly a pinata

It gives your death meaning to know you gave back to society during your final minutes. Free candy for all!

#39 Posted by joshmightbe (24099 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: Or possibly save a kid from a lifetime of cavities and tooth decay due to being too traumatized to ever eat candy again.

#40 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Or create a serial killer with a deranged fixation with candy mutilation. One or the other.

#41 Posted by joshmightbe (24099 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: Either way, you will change a life and isn't that all any of us want to do

#42 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: That may have been the most inspirational way to end a long winded joke about sucide I may have ever read.

Bravo sir!

#43 Posted by SavageDragon (2163 posts) - - Show Bio

I like a lot of the New 52. There are a lot of great reads in there. I am reading more DC now than I ever used to. I support the New 52, just my opinion.

#44 Posted by BatWatch (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

If I knew how bad the Teen Titans was going to be, I would have jumped.

#45 Posted by tylerlugowski (118 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: ohhhh okay i get it. I can understand why people don't like the idea especially the long time readers. Ive been reading comics all my life and i can see why people dont like it but i think they have done an okay job with it so far. At least in the series that I'm following

#46 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1075 posts) - - Show Bio

There's some things I hate about the reboot, but there's a lot more that I love. I mean, for once reading Wonder Woman doesn't put me to sleep from boredom

#47 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52 had lots of good updates and more reboots are needed. The current Wonder Woman is more interesting than the pre 52 wonder woman who was just a boring superman clone. Even the current Wonder Woman can use more updates or reboots.

#48 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bruce27: thats dumb to leave dc if batman was gone...

#49 Posted by MacD (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrgutts said:

@bigpicnic said:

Did DC even bother to ask the fans before doing this? Nope they did not, they are your typical mega corporation.

I can't say I blame DC for not asking permission here. If all comic companies put a finger to the wind and asked permission on events and storylines, when would we be shocked and amazed? At the on line pre story arc poll? I don't blame them for not asking permission.

I do blame them for tossing their entire universe away. Dan Dido is really to blame. I know Jim Lee and Geoff Johns have had heavy hands in this, but Dan Dido had to bless off on this...and HE DID. Jim and John wrote us into this mess they should write us out of it. New 52 sucks the ***** off of a ****** and enjoyed it. Seriously. I even like'd the Flash Point story. But had I know they were going to do the New 52, I would have left along time ago. I can find zero reason for an entire universe reboot except that they could. God bless'em its their company, so if they REALLY want this that fine. Just don't expect me to go along.

#50 Posted by FlashKnight (444 posts) - - Show Bio

I like The New 52, it got me into comics :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.