This is a day we all had a feeling was coming. DC Comics is ready to announce six new titles coming to the "New 52." It's a day of excitement as we prepare for more new great titles. The unfortunate bit is these six new titles will be replacing six existing titles. It looks like DC is planning on keeping the number of ongoing titles at 52, something I've mentioned several times (once they have more than 52 ongoing titles it would be weird to still call it "The New 52").
Posted on DC's The Source, here is the "Second Wave" of new titles coming this May.
* BATMAN INCORPORATED - Writer: Grant Morrison. Artist: Chris Burnham. The acclaimed ongoing writer of ACTION COMICS, Grant Morrison, presents a fresh take on BATMAN INCORPORATED, in which the Batman brand is franchised globally in preparation for a major international threat.
* WORLDS' FINEST - Writer: Paul Levitz. Artists: George Perez and Kevin Maguire. Stranded on our world from a parallel reality, Huntress and Power Girl struggle to find their way back to Earth 2. Perez and Maguire will be the artists on alternating story arcs.
* DIAL H - Writer: China Miéville. Artist: Mateus Santoluoco. The first ongoing series from acclaimed novelist China Miéville, this is a bold new take on a cult classic concept about the psychological effects on an everyman who accidentally gains powers to become a hero.
* G.I. COMBAT - Writer: J.T. Krul. Artist: Ariel Olivetti. Featuring the return of a classic DC Comics series, THE WAR THAT TIME FORGOT, along with rotating back-up stories and creative teams - including THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER, with writers Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti and artist Dan Panosian; and THE HAUNTED TANK, with writer John Arcudi and artist Scott Kolins.
* THE RAVAGERS - Writer: Howard Mackie. Artist: Ian Churchill. Spinning off from TEEN TITANS and SUPERBOY, this series finds four superpowered teens on the run and fighting against the organization that wants to turn them into supervillains.== TEASER ==
You have to admit those sound pretty cool. Now the bad news, Which titles will be reaching their conclusion in April with their eighth issues? BLACKHAWKS, HAWK AND DOVE, MEN OF WAR, MISTER TERRIFIC, O.M.A.C. and STATIC SHOCK will be the titles getting replaced. It's unfortunate but many of us have seen this coming.
This doesn't mean it's the end for the characters appearing in those books. This is what Bob Harras, DC Entertainment Editor-in-Chief had to say:
The excitement of the initial launch of DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 was in seeing the re-imagining of these classic characters and concepts. The 'Second Wave' is all about world-building. Many of the characters from our canceled books will appear in DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 titles, and in some very surprising ways. We're developing stories that reach from cultures around the globe to parallel worlds. We're just getting started.
The DC Universe is heating up.