DC comic protest at comic con are you serious?

#1 Edited by smcauley600 (80 posts) - - Show Bio

has any one read this yet. a bunch of idiots are planning to protest at comic con over the DC relaunch pls tell me its a joke its embrassing to comic readers and the community of this website i can see why there angry but a protest, jesus christ

#2 Posted by MrSeaman70 (294 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they've gotten tired of being tricked into forking out lots of $$$ everytime DC does a reboot / revamp.
#3 Posted by JediXMan (27924 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, last year the Westboro Baptist Church protested. This doesn't surprise me as much and makes me laugh less.

#4 Posted by MrSeaman70 (294 posts) - - Show Bio

Viral videos are becoming a trend nowadays... those idiots who are protesting the DC reboot probably just want instant fame on YouTube.

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrSeaman70: Actually the aren't being tricked they're just being stupid cause there isn't anyone forcing them to spend a dime 
#6 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

A protest? 

For starters, designs are in constant flux depending on the artist and demands of the plot. Chances are the revamp designs will mellow a bit into something more 'acceptable' within a year or so. 

Not only that, but chances are that the stories we all know and love from the past 20+ years since COIE will filter back through as the years go by and new writers add their favourite bit of continuity back or something. Besides, constant reinvention isn't inherently bad. Who's complaining about Daniel Craig being a blonde Bond now?

#7 Edited by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

A protest will make them feel heard. 

Not buying the comics will make them actually be heard. 

I suggest the latter. 

Edit:  In fact, if you're a DC fan (and I'm not), I would suggest you go ahead and pirate the books.   (If a drug dealer parks his car on your lawn, I think you should steal the car too.)

As I recall, DC says they're not resetting all of continuity - so there might be 1 or 2 titles you regularly followed that are not stuck at #1.  So maybe you pirate them, and if they're good stories you buy the trade maybe.  Or maybe you just say "this is where I switch to marvel" or you say "this is where I don't pay for comics anymore.  I got the last issues of the DC I know, and screw the rest." 

If you don't buy it, they won't sell it.  Plain and simple.

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27334 posts) - - Show Bio
@darth_brendroid said:
A protest?  For starters, designs are in constant flux depending on the artist and demands of the plot. Chances are the revamp designs will mellow a bit into something more 'acceptable' within a year or so.  Not only that, but chances are that the stories we all know and love from the past 20+ years since COIE will filter back through as the years go by and new writers add their favourite bit of continuity back or something. Besides, constant reinvention isn't inherently bad. Who's complaining about Daniel Craig being a blonde Bond now?
co-signed 
#9 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio
@labarith: pirate are you serious?
#10 Posted by smcauley600 (80 posts) - - Show Bio
@labarith: pirate? did you read sara's article you cheapstake
#11 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio
@smcauley600 said:
i totally agree  guys like him are the freakin reason the industry is dying i pridict within 5-7 years comics will be officially canceled if this prob is not contained and seeking of new customers
#12 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

Heaven forbid that people feel passionate about characters and don't want to see them screwed over because of some guy says so. Yes the only type of protest that really matters is the store purchases but that doesn't mean this is anymore invalid.

#13 Edited by War Killer (19482 posts) - - Show Bio

People have a right to agree or disagree with whatever they want, if fans feel that this is hurting the characters they read and love and believe that protesting about it will change it than they have full right's to do so. It's not stupid or idiotic, it's called free speech.

Also...

@smcauley600

said:

Jesus Christ...

...IS AWESOME!!!!
#14 Posted by Nasar7 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still not convinced about September but I'm willing to give it a shot. I just wish they chose a number lower than 52.

Obviously I will not be buying all 52 but still my bank account dreads it.

#15 Posted by dorsk188 (235 posts) - - Show Bio
@darth_brendroid said:
A protest?  For starters, designs are in constant flux depending on the artist and demands of the plot. Chances are the revamp designs will mellow a bit into something more 'acceptable' within a year or so.  Not only that, but chances are that the stories we all know and love from the past 20+ years since COIE will filter back through as the years go by and new writers add their favourite bit of continuity back or something. Besides, constant reinvention isn't inherently bad. Who's complaining about Daniel Craig being a blonde Bond now?
Blonde Bond?  The only people who complained about that were TV anchors with difficulty filling the 24 hour news cycle. 

@War Killer said:
People have a right to agree or disagree with whatever they want, if fans feel that this is hurting the characters they read and love and believe that protesting about it will change it than they have full right's to do so. It's not stupid or idiotic, it's called free speech.   
 Absolutely agree...

@War Killer said: 
@smcauley600 said:
 Jesus Christ
IS AWESOME!!!!
...but this is where you lost me...
#16 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio
@higher_evolutionary said:
@smcauley600 said:
i totally agree  guys like him are the freakin reason the industry is dying i pridict within 5-7 years comics will be officially canceled if this prob is not contained and seeking of new customers
If anything it is the printing process that would kill physical comics not piracy. At most piracy accounts for 5% +/- of comic readers. Its distribution that's the problem, look at newspapers. You protest with your wallet or you are just giving a show.
#17 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4637 posts) - - Show Bio
@gravitypress: Everything will be available via Nook and Kindle. No worries.
#18 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio
@damswedon said:

Heaven forbid that people feel passionate about characters and don't want to see them screwed over because of some guy says so. Yes the only type of protest that really matters is the store purchases but that doesn't mean this is anymore invalid.

I will agree with you if you can point out one thing that makes this revamp any worse than the many other revamps DC has done in the past
#19 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@damswedon said:

I will agree with you if you can point out one thing that makes this revamp any worse than the many other revamps DC has done in the past

Are you from another dimension where I said I agree with them in that post? Because I can't see any evidence that could give you that thought in my post.

#20 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe: Not really worried.
#21 Edited by Nova`Prime` (4139 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Samimista (20177 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, we're comic book fans, some of the most irrational-err, passionate people on earth! ;)

#24 Posted by MutenRoshi (851 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4139 posts) - - Show Bio
@MutenRoshi: LOL that just made me have a good laugh.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.