Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

DC Announces Next 'Absolute' Editions for 2012

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

If you've ever had the chance to check out an ABSOLUTE edition of a comic, you know how amazing they can be. They're not just oversized (dimensions are around 12.7 x 8.6 x 1.4 inches), they're a different way to read your comics. Seeing them in this format is almost like watching a movie in high definition.

Today, DC has announced two upcoming releases. The first is ABSOLUTE GREEN LANTERN: SINESTRO CORPS WAR.

No Caption Provided

It will contain GREEN LANTERN 21-25, GREEN LANTERN CORPS 14-19 and GREEN LANTERN: SINESTRO CORPS SPECIAL 1. The Sinestro Corps War storyline really changed the face of the Green Lantern comics.

The second release announced will be ABSOLUTE BATMAN AND ROBIN: BATMAN REBORN.

No Caption Provided

This release will collect the Grant Morrison, Frank Quietly, Philip Tan, David Finch, Cameron Stewart, Andy Clarke and Frazier Irving stories in BATMAN AND ROBIN 1-16 as well as BATMAN THE RETURN 1.

The Absolute editions tend to have a retail price of one hundred dollars but usually pop up around at various places with lower prices. ABSOLUTE GREEN LANTERN: SINESTRO CORPS WAR will be released in September 2012 and ABSOLUTE BATMAN AND ROBIN: BATMAN REBORN is out in November 2012. That gives you some time to think about it and to start saving up for them.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By ReVamp

I'd like this more if they were comics I hadn't read.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_
    @ReVamp

Exactly.
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By King_Saturn
    Sinestro Corps War  !
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Billy Batson

The first one only interests me.
    BB

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ReVamp said:

I think for the most part Absolutes target collectors vs. readers...they are always comics that everyone's read and I doubt anyone would pay that much for the comic if they didn't know what they were getting

Whilst I haven't look at the price, I'm not one of those people that buys a DVD after watching the movie in the cinemas, much less buying a blu-ray after owning a DVD, so I would never buy this when I've read the stories. And I know that you're saying that I am not the target market, but there are plenty stories they can turn into absolute, that I haven't read.

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sammo21

@ReVamp: ^this

Obsurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Obsurity

Not worth 60-100$ when I can buy the New 52 collection for the same price

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By MetropolisKid41

You can't get enough of an (not so) old classic. I will be getting the Sinestro Corps War book!! A great story that is truly worthy and needs to be experienced in the Absolute format!

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#11  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@aztek_the_lost: I've got almost all of the Absolutes and I've never even opened most of them :P I think I checked the extra's on a few of them but the rest just look good on my shelves :D As far as I'm concerned these oversized hardcovers shouldn't be read, it'll just ruin the binding and hurt the wrists.

There really are a ton of more deserving comics though for the Absolute treatment, especially with the new 52, DC could have taken this opportunity to collect some of the old uncollected comics for characters that have been brought to the forefront with the new 52; Animal Man, the rest of the Doom Patrol, Aquaman, original Suicide Squad, Deathstroke or Swamp Thing and I would love to see some of the old defunct imprints get the Absolute treatment; Impact Comics or Milestone specifically, the original Static series would be cool.

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dex_Starr

I'll probably get the Batman and Robin one

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Both seem pretty interesting to get.

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

i say a lot of the green lantern sagas will be turned into absolute editions: blackest night, and war of the green lanterns before 2016. watch. i have the hardcovers of those, but if i ever get an absolute edition, it will have to be one i have not read. i have seen an absolute edition and they are AMAZING!

NyxEquitis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NyxEquitis

"These are a couple releases you'll 'absolutley' need to pick up."

Honestly, what happened to spell check?

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bunkerbuster05

I have the first Batman and Robin trade, and would definitely get the absolute edition to collect 'em all.

elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By elayem98

only 2 for all of 2012??

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Eh, too rich for my blood to be honest, plus Absolutes tend to have a lot of stuff that is just marginal to me. Its not about a question of not having read them yet, because in the case of Batman and Robin and Batman: Reborn I have that whole arc. Sinestro Corps War I don't. Still, I'd rather just pick up the trades. But to each their own, right?

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Martian

Too expensive.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#20  Edited By The Impersonator

An absolute article! :P

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By shawn87

I already own these so I'm not about to purchase them again. 

Migz13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Migz13

I already purchased 1 -16 in their graphic novel formats volumes 1 to 3. 

Absolute editions are great to look at... but they're just so unreasonably expensive that I don't even care if I won't have them at all. 

Maybe when I'm also already a billionaire playboy philanthropist as well. Who knows! LOL

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zackattack529

@RedheadedAtrocitus: these would make good xmas gifts but thats about it.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Eyz

Nice!

I mean, I already got these in their previous TPB releases, but nice for the others nonetheless!

thechessclub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By thechessclub

@pikahyper said:

@aztek_the_lost: I've got almost all of the Absolutes and I've never even opened most of them :P I think I checked the extra's on a few of them but the rest just look good on my shelves :D As far as I'm concerned these oversized hardcovers shouldn't be read, it'll just ruin the binding and hurt the wrists.

There really are a ton of more deserving comics though for the Absolute treatment, especially with the new 52, DC could have taken this opportunity to collect some of the old uncollected comics for characters that have been brought to the forefront with the new 52; Animal Man, the rest of the Doom Patrol, Aquaman, original Suicide Squad, Deathstroke or Swamp Thing and I would love to see some of the old defunct imprints get the Absolute treatment; Impact Comics or Milestone specifically, the original Static series would be cool.

Um. DC is a business and Bob Wayne is too smart to publish collections that won't sell but to a handful of collectors. Also, what a waste. Though they would no doubt look pretty sexy exclusively sitting on my bookshelf..My Absolute Batman: Hush and Absolute New Frontier are my lender copies.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AngeTheDude

Too bad the Grant Morrison run became pure nonsense after the first three issues of Batman & Robin.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#27  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@thechessclub said:

Um. DC is a business and Bob Wayne is too smart to publish collections that won't sell but to a handful of collectors. Also, what a waste. Though they would no doubt look pretty sexy exclusively sitting on my bookshelf..My Absolute Batman: Hush and Absolute New Frontier are my lender copies.

It wouldn't be a handful of collectors they would sell a lot better then you think and they have already put out more then a few dud Absolute's; Danger Girl, Green Lantern: Rebirth, Justice, Ronin, Superman: For Tomorrow and I'm surprised Promethea got the treatment. They didn't really deserve to be Absolutes, I'm not saying these are all bad comics but other then Rebirth and For Tomorrow the single issues didn't sell very well and none of the listed Absolutes sold that well. They can't all be winners but DC has always taken chances in hopes of making money and now with the new 52 push (another financial risk) it would make a lot of sense to dip into the huge backlog of uncollected comics to try and find some new money-makers, Marvel has been doing in the past couple of years and it is working out for them a lot and they are putting out some pretty obscure stuff and fans are liking it.

DarkChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By DarkChris

I have the absolute edition of Long Halloween and hopefully I'll buy the B&R.

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#29  Edited By StarKiller809

I really like the idea of Absolute Editions, however, I really wish that they were given to some other series besides Batman, Superman and Green Lantern. However, these look cool and will think about purchasing them.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

This would be great…if I could AFFORD them. >_<

TheRedRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheRedRobin

To be honest I haven't read Batman and Robin so I'm psyched!

nthompson182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By nthompson182

would if they were cheaper. I really want to see some of those great green lantern pieces in the format though.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By Miss_Garrick

Of course, I just bought the Sinestro Corp Wars TPB a few weeks ago, and NOW their releasing it in Absolute Edition.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.