DC announces new digital series: Li'l Gotham

#1 Posted by SmashBrawler (5798 posts) - - Show Bio
They say crime doesn’t sleep, but in Gotham, it does enjoy the occasional holiday.
Batman: Li’l Gotham is a brand new, digital first series from artist and author Dustin Nguyen and co-writer Derek Fridolfs. But if you’re expecting this to be a traditional take on Batman, you might want to think again. Batman: Li’l Gotham showcases Dustin’s stylized, watercolor take on the heroes and villains of Gotham, and each new installment will be set against the major holiday of each month. You can look for the debut installment tomorrow, just in time for Halloween.
So what inspired such a different and fun approach to a Batman series? We figured it was best to let the creative team behind it answer that.
“This has been a passion project of mine for some time now, and for anyone that’s followed my work, I’m sure it’s more of an ‘its about time!’ explained Dustin Nguyen. “The look and style is a slight departure from my usual (think the exact opposite of serious), but the idea has always been the same—to take our favorite existing Gotham characters, place them in fun scenarios without having to be tied to just one continuity or look and feel. It’s basically a Batman book for fans, by two huge fans.”
Derek Fridolfs shares his collaborator’s sentiment. “At times in various platforms, Batman has been extremely dark and taken very seriously,” he elaborated. “So respectfully, we’re going in the opposite direction and having a bit of whimsical fun with a whole city of characters beloved by fans and especially ourselves. Li’l size...big enjoyment.”
Equally unique is the choice to tie the series to holidays, but as editor Sarah Gaydos explains, it actually provides a wealth of opportunity. “Tying each story to that month's holiday gives us a really fun opportunity to play with the themes and traditions of each holiday,” she said. “Dustin and Derek bring something special to each and every page. There are SO many ‘Easter eggs,’ so make sure to keep your eyes peeled!”
You can expect Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s installments to follow up tomorrow’s Halloween debut. And whether you read it on your own or share it with the younger DC fans in your life, it really comes down celebrating these holidays and characters together in a fun way. As Sarah puts it, “I love Dustin and Derek's take on Gotham, and I cannot wait for the readers to see what we have in store for them over the coming months.”

It would be hilarious if this is what DC meant when they teased Cass' and Steph's return back in NYCC (yes, I'm a horrible person).

#2 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

another batman series. They should've done an aquaman digital series or another B-list charecter to make them more popular.

#3 Posted by Wolfrazer (6887 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow....really?..../sighs and shakes head.

#4 Posted by Roxasnelson14 (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Great idea from DC ..... really looking forward to it

#5 Posted by djetter0801 (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Would be interesting to see if the Calendar Man makes an appearance each issue.

#6 Posted by Pokeysteve (8329 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd probably read this. All the seriousness in the New 52, a little odd ball series that doesn't take itself seriously would be nice.

#7 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

why havent steph died yet. shes a horrible character.

#8 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been a fan of this art style for some time:

Is that Cass in the upper left with a red-and-black Blackbat uniform? And Stepanie as Batgirl? And Babs as Orcale?

Is this ignoring the revamp?

#9 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

Neat

#10 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

thanks but I'll stick to Little League on Tumblr, which is basically the same but you know, not batman centric, and actually has a few Justice leaguers going around

#11 Posted by SmashBrawler (5798 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

thanks but I'll stick to Little League on Tumblr, which is basically the same but you know, not batman centric, and actually has a few Justice leaguers going around

Ha! Same here.

#12 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: good to meet a fellow fan here on Comic Vine! That series totally deserves more recognition

#13 Posted by SmashBrawler (5798 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: Indeed! I'd pay serious money if DC officially released it in print (if they don't alter it in any way, of course).

#14 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Jorgevy: Indeed! I'd pay serious money if DC officially released it in print (if they don't alter it in any way, of course).

true! they should just hire the creator and do that instead of this Lil Gotham idea. It would be much better and with DC backing it, much more sucessful

#15 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

Another Batman series! OMG SO ORIGINAL

I'm sick of Batman-centric series'. Give us something else already.

#16 Edited by Goldenboy_Prime (172 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

I have been a fan of this art style for some time:

Is that Cass in the upper left with a red-and-black Blackbat uniform? And Stepanie as Batgirl? And Babs as Orcale?

Is this ignoring the revamp?

It looks like it. If this is ignoring the revamp then I have little choice but to check it out. Hopefully that is Bertinelli in the Huntress costume

#17 Posted by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you know... Stephanie's back in town :)

#18 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

This series will die by issue 6.

#19 Posted by Mercy_ (92759 posts) - - Show Bio

HELL. YES.

#20 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

cool. bat-chibis!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.