Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Darkseid, Orion and the New Gods in the New 52

Frobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The New 52 universe (DCnU) has so many inconsistencies and incoherent stories ... I don't know where to start, so I just pick the New Gods - because recently Orion appeared in Wonder Woman and Superman and Mr. Miracle and Barda were teasered in Earth 2.

Since I don't read Superman (anymore) and Wonder Woman, I'm interested in the (new?) origin of Orion ... and did Highfather appear too?

What I don't understand is:

In Justice League #1 we have seen Darkseid attacking Earth through Boom Tubes. The boom tubes are some sort of interdimensional gate (so Darkseid and his hordes exist in another dimension?) or at least some sort of wormhole to bridge very far distances (so Darkseid and his hordes are very far away ... farther away than any other alien empire, for example Vega System, Thanagar). I prefer the other dimension solution (since the Green Lanterns can travel the whole universe) ... so it could be the same Darkseid who attacked Earth 2 (and not another version of Darkseid).

However, the Justice League fought back Darkseid by closing the Boom Tubes - based on the Motherbox technology.

This was possible because Cyborg merged with the Motherbox technology and was able to close the boom tube doors (same on Earth 2, difference Cyborg didn't merge with the Motherbox technology - but Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman also managed to close the boom tube permanently ... unfortunately dying in doing so). Now he's still connected to the Motherbox technology and obviously can control boom tubes on Earth ... at least he would notice if a boom tube door opens and of course he would immediately close it!

Summary: Cyborg controls boom tube doors on Earth and that's the reason Darkseid can't attack Earth again. Cyborg would just close the boom tube again. Darkseid's too far away or in another dimension to reach Earth other than by Boom Tube (so far).

Right?

So my questions are:

1. Is Orion and are the New Gods in DCnU still connected to Darkseid? If not ... how lame (Orion wouldn't be Orion anymore, in my opinion) ... but what's their new origin?

2. But most of all: If they are still connected to Darkseid (I really hope so) ... so they come from the same place as Darkseid ... HOW is it even possible Orion is here? How did he manage to come to Earth while Darkseid didn't?

Since I don't read Wonder Woman and Superman can anybody tell me what's known so far about the origin of the New Gods and Orion and their connection to Darkseid?

Thx

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if the new 52 DCU is big on consistency, being coherent and/or helping readers understand how characters/worlds relate. Remember, the vagueness and fast & loose attitude allows for "better, more dynamic" stories!

The one thing hinted about Darkseid and his people in the first JLA story was that they seem to be able to traverse the multiverse not just one universe.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deaditegonzo

@frobin:
    1. Is Orion and are the New Gods in DCnU still connected to Darkseid? If not ... how lame (Orion wouldn't be Orion anymore, in my opinion) ... but what's their new origin?

Yes, yes he is still tied to Darkseid. In fact, in the most recent Wonder Woman, his face even goes Darkseid mode when he gets angry.

2. But most of all: If they are still connected to Darkseid (I really hope so) ... so they come from the same place as Darkseid ... HOW is it even possible Orion is here? How did he manage to come to Earth while Darkseid didn't?

Not exactly sure I understand this question, but they both came to Earth through Boomtubes, which are extra-dimensional portals. Orion, and New Genesis, have Mother Boxes of their own, which are sentient computers. Im pretty sure Darkseid could easily attack again, but he's biding his time. Im interested in how he views the daemonite invasion. And in one of the issues I have read, I think Earth-2 #1, it mentions that the same Apokolips invaded Earth in both Universes, however, Steppenwolf lead the assault on Earth-2 (instead of Darkseid).

The origin of the New Gods hasnt been fully explored, but Highfather is shown talking to Orion, and I believe the Old Gods ragnarok is what lead to the New Gods.

Frobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The logical problem I have with Orion and other New Gods or Darkseid guys being on Earth is this:

Sure, they both get to Earth (our dimension) through Boomtubes (made by Motherbox technology) ... these Boomtubes are their only way to get to Earth!

When Darkseid and his army first attacked the Justice League only handled to fight him back, because Cyborg merged with the Motherbox technology and is now able to close the Boomtube. So Cyborg closed the Boomtube and the attack ended.

Now Cyborg has not just the power to get into every technology on Earth. He also can create Boomtubes and he also senses when Boomtubes are opened on Earth. So if a Boomtube opens on Earth, Cyborg would know ... and since he hasn't opened it, he would assume another attack and immediately close it!

I don't think that Darkseid could easliy attack and is waiting. He just can't come back to Earth because of Cyborg.

This was in my opinion the really awesome thing in beating Darkseid, but obviously DC didn't realize the consequences.

So this is why I really wonder, how it's possible that Orion is on Earth.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC does not believe its readers deserve explanations to events/logic in the new 52 shared universe. They prefer fans just go with the flow of a given story but still feel the connection.

The first JL story takes place further in the past than the present day new 52 storylines. Given that, any number of things regarding Darkseid's plans, access to Boom tubes, etc. may have changed. Readers do not know.

The loss of access to Boom tubes is a common theme as it also explains why Darkseid's minions are trapped on Earth 2. This also means readers are not really sure if Cyborg still maintained that much awareness or control of Boom Tube access/technology.

There has been no story post new 52 to sort out the background and connections of the New Gods, so readers are left to assume that the Kirby origin and most connections are still in place.

Therefore, assume as much as you need to make New Gods storylines work until DC gets around to telling you the new and different story that will make it better than what you thought you knew.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read the Darkseid Villains' Month issue. The origins of Darkseid and Highfather, as seen in this issue are very different than pre-Flashpoint.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

I'm not a fan of how Kirby's Fourth World has been handled since the reboot...and I'm a big proponent of the reboot.

blh726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two different planets so I'm guessing they have different boom tubes or different networks or else darkseid would have been destroying new genesis

itheone123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Long story short :-

Uxas and the other 'New Gods' were mere mortals living in a world outside the normal space and time. Their dieties, the Old Gods, gigantic in size, were too busy making love to each other and stomping people down below to care for their worshippers.

So, mud grubber Uxas secretly reaches their home where they slept and whispered something into their ears; a war broke out between the Old Gods, killing many.

As the gods weakened, Uxas killed them one by one and absorbed their powers. Goodbye Uxas, Hello Darkseid !

The war also consumed Uxas' sister, Avia. her husband and Uxas' brother-in-law ( if such a term exists in their world ) begged for the ruler of the Old Gods, the most powerful, Skyfather to revive her. But weakened and at the brink of death, the god was unable to do so. But before passing away, he bestowed ha powers upon the wise and noble Izaya, who took on the mantle of Highfather.

So when Darkseid went on a murderous rampage, Highfather confronted him, and their planet broke apart in two as a result of the war. Apokolips and New Genesis were born. A peace treaty was forged.

After a long period of peace, a being called Kaiyo arrived and mocked Darkseid. Furious, he went after her when she travelled across universes, and discovered new worlds at his disposal. Leading an invasion, he destroyed several planets casually on his way, and butchered many superheroes effortlessly, including many Supermen of different universes.

However, Prime Earth managed to hold him off and send him back to his universe. Darkseid is shown to have been completely unhurt at the end, laughing the whole war off. He is only waiting to strike again.

As for Orion, it is not mentioned if he is Highfather's adoptive or biological father. But we know few things about him :

He has a cocky personality. Got stomped by First Born.

Has slapped Wonder Woman's ass. Calls her 'legs'.

Is strong enough to hold against Superman.

Can go Darkseid if he is really angry.

Gets on everyone's nerves sometimes and as a result got thrashed by Hera and almost got his balls ripped off by Diana.

Has a secret crush on Wonder Woman but hasn't told her yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.