could DC UNDO the new 52 and go back to before?

#1 Posted by turok_son_of_stone (73 posts) - - Show Bio

This is not about whether you like the new 52 its simply about IF DC HAD TO could they go back to the pre-52 universe? Or are they to far into it at this point? Whats your thoughts? I think they could at this point but I feel like that window is closing.

#2 Posted by The_Tree (7457 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that they could.

Just start out with Rip Hunter at Vanishing Point staring at his chalkboard "Woah this is all wrong! Well, off to go fix it." Then the story ends with Rip shooting the red hooded woman in the face.

#3 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's possible. I wouldn't want them too. But I think they could.

#4 Posted by The Stegman (24372 posts) - - Show Bio

the entire thing was just Barry Allen's dream!

#5 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Its still early enough at this point that if DC had to I believe they could go back to the pre-Flashpoint reality. I just don't think that's what DC wants to do though to be honest. With how seemingly good sales have been I doubt they'd want the ancien regime to be back. In truth though if DC wanted to they could easily think of a way to retcon the whole current reality and say kinda like what Stegman said, that it was all in Barry's mind. Such things have happened before.

#6 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they could. There are a couple of books that have already been plotted out for 18 issues or so, so they will probably complete their run first. But I can see them do a soft-reboot along the lines of Zero Hour to fix stories that didn't work and re-incorporate stories that did. (For instance, making Barbara Gordon Oracle again while still keeping everything that happened in their more successful titles like Action Comics, Batman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Justice League.)

#7 Posted by U R Sofa King We Todd Did (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmo111687 said:

I think they could. There are a couple of books that have already been plotted out for 18 issues or so, so they will probably complete their run first. But I can see them do a soft-reboot along the lines of Zero Hour to fix stories that didn't work and re-incorporate stories that did. (For instance, making Barbara Gordon Oracle again while still keeping everything that happened in their more successful titles like Action Comics, Batman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Justice League.)

#8 Posted by greencrapweasel (137 posts) - - Show Bio

im really cross on the situation i mean would it be nice for things to go back hell yes, HELL YES! but in doing so we give up the ability to have anything happen.

honestly going back shouldn't be an option, but nonetheless compared to preDC52reboot right now things really suck turkey butt. I think what they should do is start to fix up those holes they've placed in it, thus "going back" somewhat to how things were before 52. Everyone would win because those who enjoy the new 52 get to keep it and those who miss all the old stuff get to see it's new rebirth. then the best part is for the brand new readers who started with the new 52 get really caught up to speed with things in general to the dc universe and blah blah blah.

for example: the flash, in my opinion i think if all they do is get barry and iris together everything there will go back to the usual

teen titans, i think this is one that would be a little messy but do-able and i think the new team should stay, but if they acknowledge the actual teams of the past and meet some of them then things will become more regular

etc.

#9 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Possible, that's why they have Pandora aka "The Purple Lady" but in my opinion:

Don't turn back!!! You made a decision, now hold it; if you want changes wait 3 years and make other crisis (BAD IDEA but possible) or use the magic of the relativity in comics :D

#10 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3517 posts) - - Show Bio

They can do anything they want with the power of...IMAGINATION.

#11 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

definitely

#12 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

They wouldn't go back, they could try again and change things again.....

#13 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

If they wanted to go back to the old Dc universe they could find a way. Right now I do not think they would do that since their sales have been high because of the Dc reboot. But if their sales start decreasing they may start to revert back to the old Dc universe.

#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio

@haydenclaireheroes: They already have a way written in.

#15 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, and it would be an event called; 

SENSIBLE STORY-TELLING RETURNS

#16 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah at any time

#17 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress: So I guess any time they want to they could pull the plug with the Dc reboot if it ever gets lower sales than what they use to get before the Dc reboot.

#18 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: You stop that.

@haydenclaireheroes: It's a really smart move on their part.

#19 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: Stop being right, or stop being awesome? Either one is impossible ;)
#20 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: -___-

#21 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress:  

Anyway, I imagine DC will probably run both Universes concurrently.
#22 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

Well this would be nice.

#23 Posted by ComicMan24 (147090 posts) - - Show Bio

Well if things really get that bad, I could see them doing it. But I am not sure I would like them to do it. Not that I wouldn't want to see the old DC back but since they did, they should stick to it.

#24 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5411 posts) - - Show Bio

If they retconned and went backwards I'd probably stop reading. I like having a jumping on point and seeing newer versions of characters. To change back would feel like a bait and switch to me.
Especially if they put Supes pants back on the outside of his pants I'm out.

#25 Posted by entropy_aegis (15316 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has already beaten them in the Dollar share.Reboot FAIL.

#26 Posted by Billy Batson (58023 posts) - - Show Bio

They could but it would a be stupid move.
BB

#27 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3551 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes; pretty easily. In fact, I'm sure they'll reboot the Universe again in a year or two. Pandora, the Lady in Pink, might be able to do this, as well. I'm not minding it, actually liking how it brings coherence to Wonder Woman and makes Superman interesting, but then again, I wasn't as much of a DC reader finding the universe boring, and this event seems catered to readers like me. It seems that DC fans really like their continuity, whereas Marvel tends to throw it out the window if a writer wants to glorify ta fanfavorite or have a cool moment.

#28 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

the entire thing was just Barry Allen's dream!

doctor evil: then we'll all...be...lost? mwuahaha..haha.hee.mm..

they still could, I kind of wish they would have branched a few characters out of new 52, kept them on the same track, but without cross ups

If they were, I'd bet Bart would be the answer, he was reinjected while in the speed force, thats got to count for something

that hooded chick looks like if I had a floater in my eye corner and that floater was on acid, I can live without knowing her agenda,or even watching it unfold

#29 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4731 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell to the no.

#30 Posted by greencrapweasel (137 posts) - - Show Bio

take a gander into what ive see:

"With the recent revelation of the name of the mysterious pink lady that appeared in each #1 of "The New 52," the fear is that there will be a major crossover. This isn't something that we need. Readers have expressed that there are some books they love and others they had to drop after being unsatisfied. No one wants a major crossover that forces readers to read multiple books they normally don't in order to get the complete story." -http://www.comicvine.com/news/off-my-mind-should-there-be-more-cohesion-in-the-new-dc-universe/144077/

http://www.comicvine.com/pandora/29-81779/

basically she was involved in the last issue of Flashpoint, and then appeared in the 1st issue of every comic after Flashpoint.......then the rest of the off my mind article talks about something being off with the uses of the same characters in different comics. two i find that stick out the most are superman being younger in one comic but not in another and how alfred is ready to kick butt in batman and robin but so very weak and drained in a different one

i think either time in the universe is screwed up or multiple dimensions are screwed up from the whole flashpoint situation. then with the added factor of the pink lady thingy.....pandora first shown in flashpoint #5 and then in every single 1st issue of the dc52. could it have just been something they hid in there to be able to fall back on in case fans started getting pissed or is something seriously scrambled in the DC Universe......or are we looking at different time periods at the same time...............or even reading about different dimensions at one time without knowing it?

#31 Posted by greencrapweasel (137 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@The Dark Huntress:
Anyway, I imagine DC will probably run both Universes concurrently.

perfect picture!

#32 Posted by redhood21 (815 posts) - - Show Bio

Just for my own vanity i cant stand being old/not alive when they reach the 1000 mark in their new numbering. i do like the new 52 comics alot better with a few aggravating exceptions.

#33 Posted by ltbrd (562 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think they'll be going back to how the DC universe was prior to Flashpoint but I could see them splintering the various characters into different realities following whatever happens regarding Pandora.

At the end of Flashpoint she stated that the DC, Wildstorm, and Vertigo realities were separated intentionally to weaken them against an outside force (maybe the universe ship seen in New Guardians? probably not but its a good theory starting point) and that because of Thawne and Barry's messing with the timeline she's merged them all back together to confront this threat. Given that, I definitely see a huge DC-wide event coming down the line where the collected heroes face this threat and in the wake of it DC, Wildstorm, and Vertigo are broken up again but with lingering affects in all three. For example, Superman would remain how he is now (Kryptonian armor, new attitude, new origin, etc...) whereas Superboy may return to his previous personality but with his more telekinetic leaning powers and kryptonian armor. This would allow DC to split up duplicate characters (such as Superman and Apollo or Batman and Midnighter) and drop series that weren't doing very well after a year of "testing the waters" (so to speak).

The only reason I can see this working in DC's favor is because old readers are feeling a bit overwhelmed by not knowing what drastic changes have been made to canon and are being presented with a huge number of titles to maintain in order to find out, while new readers are simply seeing a huge number of titles to maintain in order to become involved and understand the DC universe as a whole. By using a company-wide event to re-break into three distinct realities it would benefit old readers knowing the majority of canon has been maintained but old characters have new looks and personalities, while new readers will be given the chance to narrow down their choice of characters to follow and increase their interest in continuing to invest in a series that they may have only dabbled in before.

Comic book profits would probably rise as a result of this move because DC would be dropping titles that weren't making a profit anyways and those they keep would now have a dedicated following of old and new readers.

#34 Edited by girl_from_the_future (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, to put it this way:

Marvel's way of dealing with stupid stories and continuity gaffs is to ignore them. Every once in a while they in-canon retconn them, but more often they just forget or rewrite the event with no in-story explanation. Their time-scales are sliding, character memories nebulous and mercurial in specific content.

DC has tended to favor doing in-continuity reboots, both of specific characters and especially of their overall company. They are also known for backsliding, bringing in whatever they want from the previous reboot and retconning their retconn. What this means is that DC de facto DOES use the Marvel method of forgive-and-forget, but with this extra layer of Crisis continuity over it.

To answer your question, DC can 'go back to before', more or less, by just forgetting the changes they made and re-altering stuff so it more resembles NE continuity instead of DCnU.

#35 Posted by Archlord (140 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, Rip Hunter, considering this was all said in Time Masters: Vanishing Point.

But it wouldn't end up well, because we got the Wildstorm Universe in there now, I don't want to say goodbye to Grifter!

#36 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is pretty obvious that Pandora is the next crisis to either

A) Allow DC to go back to the way it was before

B) Bring attention to the existing books that people have dropped or new titles in the form of tie-ins & crossovers.

At this point, it looks like it will be B and knowing DC

#37 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@turok_son_of_stone said:

This is not about whether you like the new 52 its simply about IF DC HAD TO could they go back to the pre-52 universe? Or are they to far into it at this point? Whats your thoughts? I think they could at this point but I feel like that window is closing.

No story ever goes to far to retcon. They've basically built Pandora in as a trap door, folk. Plus their biggest books Batman/Latern and many of the best news books are being written as if Flashpoint never happened anyways.

#38 Posted by Mezzaro (9 posts) - - Show Bio

So, who here has ever heard of Proboards? It is a good way to make a forum for free. The best thing about it is that it is an easy and organized way to tell fanfiction, much better than FanFic or anything like that. The purpose of this site is to give you the ability to tell pre-N52 stories and collaborate with other writers, create one large interconnected universe and get feedback on your writing, a devoted reader-base and tips to improve! Try it today!http://followingflashpoint.proboards.com/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.