Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Could DC be bidding time in the movies industry?

Bookman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Bookman

We all know Marvel is running out of good superhero movies. I mean, they're using Ant-Man! DC, however, have only used Superman and Batman. This thought occured to me;could DC be waiting for Marvel to run out of good movies, then strike with Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, etc. movies? What do you think?

Bookman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Bookman

Okay, I was in Genaral disccussion when I made this. Just another bug, I guess.

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zero edge

Yeah its a bug dont worry we can move stuff now

Bookman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bookman
    zero edge said:
    "Yeah its a bug dont worry we can move stuff now
    "

Great!  What do you think? Is DC bidding time until Marvel runs out of good movies?
    zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zero edge

Actually I think the problem is that DC is partially owned by WB. I remember reading something about being owned by WB is hindering their movie making opportunity.

Bookman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bookman
    zero edge said:
    "Actually I think the problem is that DC is partially owned by WB. I remember reading something about being owned by WB is hindering their movie making opportunity.
    "
    Hm, do you think DC will ever break away from Warner Brothers?
    Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Gottheit

No. That f-cking frog has them by the balls.

iSHADOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iSHADOW

im stoked for the ant-man movie personally

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gottheit

Is that Irredeemable Ant-Man? I heard good things about his comic.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Marvel is benefiting huge from having their own production studio now. DC, like zero edge said, is lost in the giant conglomerate clusterhump that is Time Warner AOL ™ where its just another property.  Marvel's sole interest is building their comic brands (cuz its all they got). WB has New Line, Castle Rock, WB itself, DC, Hannah Barbera, all the former Turner stuff, MAD, Time books etc etc etc.  and they've never, not once, actually used any of that stuff to the fullest since they merged with AOL. They own a half dozen cable networks, they could turn make a high quality HBO mini-series or ongoing series out of any comic in their library that would put Heroes to shame. All they've got to show for it is a couple cartoon series and Smallville.

Kain Echnida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Kain Echnida
    Bookman said:
    "We all know Marvel is running out of good superhero movies. I mean, they're using Ant-Man! DC, however, have only used Superman and Batman. This thought occured to me;could DC be waiting for Marvel to run out of good movies, then strike with Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, etc. movies? What do you think?"

Ever heard of something we like to call "Sequels"? Marvel's not running out. Just because you don't like Antman doesn't mean anything. Marvel can still do a Silver Surfer Movie, or some others. Maybe even with time a Thanos movie if he's given the proper press. DC just can't do movies. That's all there is to it. Warner Bros. has them by their kryptonian loving balls.
    _Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By _Sojourn_
    Bookman said:
    "We all know Marvel is running out of good superhero movies. I mean, they're using Ant-Man! DC, however, have only used Superman and Batman. This thought occured to me;could DC be waiting for Marvel to run out of good movies, then strike with Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, etc. movies? What do you think?"
    DC has already came out with V for Vendetta--not sure if that is a DC comic but I cant help but to think it was--anyways they also came out with Justice Legue, and it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.
    iSHADOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iSHADOW
    Gottheit said:
    "Is that Irredeemable Ant-Man? I heard good things about his comic.
    "
    its been canceled for a while and no, i believe the movie is going to be based on hank pym.
    zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zero edge
    Slight said:
    "Bookman said:
    DC has already came out with V for Vendetta--not sure if that is a DC comic but I cant help but to think it was--anyways they also came out with Justice Legue, and it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.
    "
    It's Vertigo Comics, Vertigo is owned by DC, so technically yes
    Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gottheit

They're comming out with Watchmen...keeping my fingers crossed.

Bookman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bookman
    Kain Echnida said:
    "Bookman said:

Ever heard of something we like to call "Sequels"? Marvel's not running out. Just because you don't like Antman doesn't mean anything. Marvel can still do a Silver Surfer Movie, or some others. Maybe even with time a Thanos movie if he's given the proper press. DC just can't do movies. That's all there is to it. Warner Bros. has them by their kryptonian loving balls."

Well, Pym beats his wife, but Lang's okay, it's just the powers.
    Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Marvel have films scheduled up to 2011 (I believe that's the release date for Avengers), so they aren't running out soon. As long as they aren't released to close to each other, comic book movies don't steal each others audience. So their is no business reason to delay until Marvel is done. As Shatterstar said, despite being owned by a massive media corperation, DC's properties are stuck in development Hell. Superman took over 10 years to get into development and was still stalling even with the success of X-Men as an incentive.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gottheit

Dude, Pym beats his wife. Finally, a sensible hero. How could you not like Henry?!

Bookman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bookman
    Gottheit said:
    "Dude, Pym beats his wife. Finally, a sensible hero. How could you not like Henry?!
    "

I kinda like him, but would you really like a guy who beats his wife in real life? {if you say yes,  you're a jerk}. Oh and I accidently pressed quote on Cosmic Sentinel and I don't know how to get rid of it.
    Cosmic Sentinel said:
    "Marvel have films scheduled up to 2011 (I believe that's the release date for Avengers), so they aren't running out soon. As long as they aren't released to close to each other, comic book movies don't steal each others audience. So their is no business reason to delay until Marvel is done. As Shatterstar said, despite being owned by a massive media corperation, DC's properties are stuck in development Hell. Superman took over 10 years to get into development and was still stalling even with the success of X-Men as an incentive."

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By danhimself

i think if an antman movie is done right and has a good writer then yeah it could be an awesome movie....do you guys remember when kevin smith wrote the script for superman returns back in the day i read it online somewhere that would have been an awesome movie it had braniac and doomsday in it...i think dc's problem is that they try to make these superhero movies into these movies where they want you to really really really care for the character and that's good and all but they have to remember that most people think of one thing when they think of a comicbook movie and that's the action

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Most heroes could be made into good films, it's recognisability that holds the key to being greenlit.

From what I heard, Kevin Smith's Superman script was dreadful. In his defense, he was being forced though hoops by the producer who wanted him to include a giant spider, completely alter the costume and not have him fly.

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zero edge
    Cosmic Sentinel said:
    "Most heroes could be made into good films, it's recognisability that holds the key to being greenlit.

From what I heard, Kevin Smith's Superman script was dreadful. In his defense, he was being forced though hoops by the producer who wanted him to include a giant spider, completely alter the costume and not have him fly."
    Maybe it was actually an original superhero but they used Superman as a code name to hype him up.
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel
    zero edge said:
    "Cosmic Sentinel said:
    "Most heroes could be made into good films, it's recognisability that holds the key to being greenlit.

From what I heard, Kevin Smith's Superman script was dreadful. In his defense, he was being forced though hoops by the producer who wanted him to include a giant spider, completely alter the costume and not have him fly."
    Maybe it was actually an original superhero but they used Superman as a code name to hype him up.
    "
    If only. There's a summary of it over at wikipedia, it's called Superman Lives. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_film_series#Failed_projects
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By warlock360

I don't see Marvel running out, we still have many undefined characters we could use for movies.

ahumancartoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ahumancartoon

From what I read DC has been scrambling to get anything, no matter how bad it is (Catwoman anyone?) off the ground ever since Marvel success. The way I look at it DC is the one that almost killed comic book movies in the 90's (example: Batman & Robin). Now I'm not sure if it's the WB that's hindering their efforts but in the last couple of years I've read some silly stuff, like Jack Black as Green Lantern or that Justice League project starring a bunch of tweeners (Chirstian Bale and Brandon Routh weren't even considered to reprise their roles in it). Marvel has a movie slate for the next 3 or 4 years and a few more their still considering.

I don't mean to bash DC, but they have made some poor decisions over the years. Kevin Smith has been quoted saying it a couple times that DC characters don't translate to the big screen as well as Marvels does. Still I'd like them to do better in the future, maybe with a Flash or Green Lantern movie.

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#26  Edited By Apparition
    Bookman said:

lol youre funny

ahumancartoon said:

"From what I read DC has been scrambling to anything, no matter how bad it is (Catwoman anyone?) off the ground ever since Marvel success. The way I look at it DC is the one that almost killed comic book movies in the 90's (example: Batman & Robin). Now I'm not sure if it's the WB that's hindering their efforts but in the last couple of years I've read some silly stuff, like Jack Black as Green Lantern of that Justice League project starring a bunch of tweeners (Chirstian Bale and Brandon Routh weren't even considered to reprise their roles in it). Marvel has a movie slate for the next 3 or 4 years and a few more their still considering.

I don't mean to bash DC, but they have made some poor decisions over the years. Kevin Smith has been quoted saying it a couple times that DC characters don't translate to the big screen as well as Marvels does. Still I'd like them to do better in the future, maybe with a Flash or Green Lantern movie."

i agree completely

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.