Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Coming back to comics....

mastrauckas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm been looking at some of the comics in the N52 lineup and was wondering how good are these comics?

• Green Lantern
    • The Flash
    • Earth 2
    • Justice League 3000
    • Justice League
    • Green Lantern Corps
    • Justice League Dark
    • Detective Comics

Should I also start these comics at issue #1 or just start at the newest issue?

Also if I'm reading something like The Flash or Green Lantern is it worth going back and reading D.C Chronicles? Or has the entire story changed after the reboot?

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of these are quite good, but most of these have had periods where quality has significantly dipped in my opinion. I didn't care for JL3000, and I think Justice League is just okay, but the rest are ones I was talking about in my first sentence. As for where you start, that's up to you. It might be good to start with #1 in some cases. I would not recommend beginning just any series with just any issue. Usually you want to start at the beginning of a run, an arc, etc. I don't know what you mean by "DC Chronicles" but #1-20 of the New 52 Green Lantern series picked up from the pre-Flashpoint volume. If you start with #21, then you need not concern yourself with anything pre-Flashpoint. And really all other New 52 series are pretty darn contained in the New 52 continuity. I will now tell you about jumping on each of the series you mentioned.

Green Lantern: A new arc starts this month since Godhead just ended. Venditti's run began with #21.

The Flash: Venditti and Jensen's run began with #30. Since then it has pretty much been one continuous story. I don't see another good jumping on point coming for the forseeable future, but some may disagree with me.

Earth Two: This one was great under Robinson, then dipped significantly when Taylor took over. Its quality went up again soon before Taylor left. However, currently the World's End weekly is where the entire story is happening and the main monthly Earth Two title is just one-off side stories.

JL3000: Like I said, I don't really care for this one but the first arc I think ended with #10. So you can start with #11 or wait for a new jumping on point (or start from the beginning of course). I honestly don't see this series lasting too much longer. However, as of yet it has not been cancelled.

Justice League: Johns has written this since #1. Currently in the Amazo Virus storyline, which I believe concludes in February. March may be a good jumping on point.

Green Lantern Corps: This title will end with the issue coming out in March. Godhead has just ended.

Justice League Dark: My favorite run on this series was Lemire's. Milligan wrote the fist eight issues. Lemire wrote #9-23, wrapping up his run with the end of Trinity War. DeMatteis has been on this title ever since. #24-29 were part of the Forever Evil: Blight crossover with three other series (Constantine, ToS: Pandora, ToS: Phantom Stranger) and I greatly enjoyed that crossover. Then there were three or so two-part mini-arcs, which I didn't care for and now they are involved in a regular arc again which seems to be somewhat better.

Detective Comics: I hopped on board this title with the commemorative #27. It's okay. Manapul and Buccellatto took over with #30 and their first arc was okay. Then a guest creative team did a two-part fill-in and Manapul and Booch have done two or so issues of their current arc so far. I have read the first trade of this series which was written by Tony Daniel. It was okay but the plot seemed all over the place. Maybe it will resolve itself in the second trade, which I will read next. I also now have the third and fourth trades, which collect part of John Layman's run but have not yet read them.

mastrauckas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of these are quite good, but most of these have had periods where quality has significantly dipped in my opinion. I didn't care for JL3000, and I think Justice League is just okay, but the rest are ones I was talking about in my first sentence. As for where you start, that's up to you. It might be good to start with #1 in some cases. I would not recommend beginning just any series with just any issue. Usually you want to start at the beginning of a run, an arc, etc. I don't know what you mean by "DC Chronicles" but #1-20 of the New 52 Green Lantern series picked up from the pre-Flashpoint volume. If you start with #21, then you need not concern yourself with anything pre-Flashpoint. And really all other New 52 series are pretty darn contained in the New 52 continuity. I will now tell you about jumping on each of the series you mentioned.

Green Lantern: A new arc starts this month since Godhead just ended. Venditti's run began with #21.

The Flash: Venditti and Jensen's run began with #30. Since then it has pretty much been one continuous story. I don't see another good jumping on point coming for the forseeable future, but some may disagree with me.

Earth Two: This one was great under Robinson, then dipped significantly when Taylor took over. Its quality went up again soon before Taylor left. However, currently the World's End weekly is where the entire story is happening and the main monthly Earth Two title is just one-off side stories.

JL3000: Like I said, I don't really care for this one but the first arc I think ended with #10. So you can start with #11 or wait for a new jumping on point (or start from the beginning of course). I honestly don't see this series lasting too much longer. However, as of yet it has not been cancelled.

Justice League: Johns has written this since #1. Currently in the Amazo Virus storyline, which I believe concludes in February. March may be a good jumping on point.

Green Lantern Corps: This title will end with the issue coming out in March. Godhead has just ended.

Justice League Dark: My favorite run on this series was Lemire's. Milligan wrote the fist eight issues. Lemire wrote #9-23, wrapping up his run with the end of Trinity War. DeMatteis has been on this title ever since. #24-29 were part of the Forever Evil: Blight crossover with three other series (Constantine, ToS: Pandora, ToS: Phantom Stranger) and I greatly enjoyed that crossover. Then there were three or so two-part mini-arcs, which I didn't care for and now they are involved in a regular arc again which seems to be somewhat better.

Detective Comics: I hopped on board this title with the commemorative #27. It's okay. Manapul and Buccellatto took over with #30 and their first arc was okay. Then a guest creative team did a two-part fill-in and Manapul and Booch have done two or so issues of their current arc so far. I have read the first trade of this series which was written by Tony Daniel. It was okay but the plot seemed all over the place. Maybe it will resolve itself in the second trade, which I will read next. I also now have the third and fourth trades, which collect part of John Layman's run but have not yet read them.

Thanks for the answer.

I think I'm going to start off with GL #38.

The GLC is #40 where it starts a new arc?

Sounds like with Earth Two it's best to start with World's End #1? When does the Earth Two main story end and become side stories for Earth Two World's End?

JLD: Sounds like this story line is still continuing. So I would have to back to #9 to keep up with the story?

D.C Chronicles is older D.C collection in books. For example The Green Lantern Chronicles Vol. 1-4. This starts when Hal Jordan became a Green Lantern.

I also notice there are books on the N52 version too. Which would allow me to catch up on GL from #1-#34 in 5 volumes. Which is cheaper than buying every issue.

The other question is, how can you tell when a new arc starts?

Anyway, thanks for your help!

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know where you got #40 for GLC. Godhead just ended so the final issue of GLC to be part of Godhead was #37 and #40 will be the final issue of the series.

As for Earth Two, #'s 28-29 are definite side stories. And I don't really see that changing until World's End is over.

As for JLD, no the current arc began with #35 and Annual #2, I think.

As for telling when a new arc starts, I'd say read the monthly solicitations every month and look for key words like "conclusion" or "new arc."

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

#5  Edited By Guru_Crack

@mastrauckas:

• Green Lantern - I personally enjoyed the series but thought all the crossovers with new Guardians, Red Lanterns & Green Lantern Corps was unnecessary. Its a good title but is made better if you read the other 3 Lantern titles.
    • The Flash - This is a steady title. I personaly am going to be reading each trade as they come out. It certainly holds my attention.
    • Earth 2 - its ok, I have only read the first volume but wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
    • Justice League 3000 - Probably my least favourite comic I have read in the New 52 thus far.
    • Justice League - Good stories with the JL. So you get what you expect with this one.
    • Green Lantern Corps - Same as Green Lantern
    • Justice League Dark - Haven't read it yet.
    • Detective Comics - Big fan of Detective Comics.

I rated all the New 52 titles I read by volume so you can see exactly what I thought each book was worth out of 10. If that helps here is the link.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/guru_crack/lists/ranking-of-new-52-titles/54140/

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@mastrauckas said:

I'm been looking at some of the comics in the N52 lineup and was wondering how good are these comics?

• Green Lantern
    • The Flash
    • Earth 2
    • Justice League 3000
    • Justice League
    • Green Lantern Corps
    • Justice League Dark
    • Detective Comics

Should I also start these comics at issue #1 or just start at the newest issue?

Also if I'm reading something like The Flash or Green Lantern is it worth going back and reading D.C Chronicles? Or has the entire story changed after the reboot?

Green Lantern-solid book, they have lots of events like guru said, but it still has good storytelling.

The Flash-very consistent book, Manupal's art for the first 20+issues really make the book. Probably one of my favorites so far.

Earth 2-I'm not entirely caught up with this book, but it was very enjoyable for the first 10 issues I read of it.

JL 3000-Haven't read

JL-Good storytelling, the standout story arc is "Throne of Atlantis." Also has very good art.

GL Corps- same as original GL book, but focuses mainly on John Stewart and Guy Gardner

JL Dark-haven't read

Detective comics-the first couple issues were just average, I did not think they were anything special. I stopped after a couple issues, then picked it back up at Issue 30 (which is where Brian Buccelato and Francis Manupal come in). It was defintely better than the first couple of issues. I would switch this title out with the main Batman title by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, they are killing it with each story.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The only one I've read is JL and it's good stuff.

mastrauckas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for everyone's response.

GL Corp: I'm not going to worry about this title since it's being cancelled. Maybe I'll pick up the books once the series is over?

Earth 2: I'll wait until a new arc. Which might be soon since World's End is ending soon and Earth 2 is just side stories of that?

JLD: Might wait for a new arc whenever that is?

The Flash: Based on what I'm reading I'll have to catch up on Flashpoint and the books because it's all one continuous story.

GL: I bought and currently reading Green Lantern Sinestro Vol 1 so my plan is to catch up on this series.

So for now I'm going to go with GL and JL. I picked up back issues of Deathstroke(2014 series) and NEW SUICIDE SQUAD.

btw, can D.C. make things any more confusing with Deathstroke? Why name Deathstroke 2011 series and 2014 series both the same name?

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help!

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mastrauckas: Maybe I wasn't very clear about the Flash. You don't need to read Flashpoint if you just want to read New 52 stuff. It really has no effect on it. And Venditti and Jensen's run began with #30. That's where I was saying you could jump on. Most of what is prior to that was Manapul and Buccellatto's run, which was also good, but completely separate from the current run.

mastrauckas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kilowog52: Yes, I did misunderstand you. In that case I'll most likely start with #1 at some point. I'll just buy the The Flash graphic novels to catch up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.