COME ON DC

#1 Posted by cameron83 (7514 posts) - - Show Bio

i love dc comics,but they are REALLY lagging behind on the movies

1.)YOU CANT KEEP RECYCLING BATMAN....btw i love batman,1 of the reasons i came to like dc,but you CANNOT keep recycling him for movies

2.)MAKE A MOVIE THAT IS NOT BATMAN OR SUPERMAN,you've used them enough,however the point of this point is to say

MAKE a WONDER WOMAN MOVIE,or FLASH,or AQUAMAN,they are SUCH good characters,even small characters like killer moth can be made into a movie,AND YET,you guys fail to do the simplest with that.marvel characters should be harder to make,but look at the successes....and another thing

3.)MAKE A GOOD MOVIE,im tired of only 2/5 of dc movies being good,dc is good when it comes to animated movies,and comics,but with the movie franchise,you guys aren't doing so well......COME ON!! even the WW show was cancelled on the pilot episode,and now there is a new green arrow show (which looks good),but that's a show,not a movie....that hasn't even aired yet to be determined good or bad

4.)WHY WOULD YOU HIRE MOST OF THE SAME CAST WHO MADE GL.......green lantern in my opinion,was terrible..the concept was amazing,the characters,everything was set for you guys,and you blew it somehow....now you are going to make the SAME mistake and rehire most of the cast to make the flash,and wonder woman (or just one of them,i forget) as a live action movie,the only good thing i can say is that you guys made the right decision hiring ryan reynolds because he looks like a hal jordan to me,but i doubt you can find people who fit the justice league members well,in fact....

Put it this way:

comics and shows are homework....dc gets an A for that

Animated movies and games are projects (small ones).....dc gets an A for that

Movieverse are the masters and tests.....dc isn't doing so well with that....so basically dc comics has a D+

and marvel has maybe a B+ or an A....

and if you were to do the movies,i pray to god it will be good enough to break,then mindwipe the box office of it's sanity (meaning make it good).......because let's face it,Avengers,which was good,set the bar REAAAALLY high,and dc in general with EVERYTHING (characters,storyline,etc) so they basically have movies made for them,but another point,part of making the movies is making the movies perfectly symbolize the comic characters,but movie adapted,people mostly want to see how their characters look in real life,so dont make wonder woman wear latex clothing,or cheap cloth especially since she is a warrior princess so the clothes for the wonder woman pilot,didnt really fit so well with me,and to the main point,HIRE the right actors,and again,make the costumes and appearance movie adapted...marvel did an EXCELLENT job with that,and i like supermans man of steel costume and henry cavill is ok for the role with me,but you NEED to hire the people who perfectly fit the characters and are movie adapted to them so you easily adjust to them and you like their appearance rather than risking 1 or 2 stars on the ratings because of mismatched actors who dont look like the character at all,and bad costumes...SO NO BATHING SUIT AND BOOTS WONDER WOMAN!!!!!!

and please,get a grip on what your doing dc...i love you guys,but do you really want to test your fans patience,especially now,one failure,and image comics can even surpass you as the big 2...so BEWARE!!!!!!!!

#2 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: I know EXACTLY how you feel, man :P

#3 Posted by StuckOnEuropa (118 posts) - - Show Bio

I would prefer DC make more animated movies. I've watched Under the Red Hood more times than Batman Begins and The Dark Knight put together. My only gripe with DC animated is the running time and the same issue you have with live action : Batman and Superman. I would love to see more of Flash, Captain Marvel, Aquaman, The Question, Animal Man, Plastic Man and Nightwing. f course this is just my opinion.

#4 Edited by cameron83 (7514 posts) - - Show Bio

@StuckOnEuropa: well alot of people feel the same way...i like under the red hood,and crisis on 2 earths,and etc...but animated movies wont cut it for them,i wish it did...........also i agree exactly,i want to see more of the side characters,especially since they have SUCH good stories,etc...it's like talent going to waste

#5 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really DC's fault as much as Warner Bros.'s. Warner Bros. has a poor track-record with movies in general, but their animation is really high-quality, second only to Disney's.

#6 Edited by FIash (63 posts) - - Show Bio

They should definitely make movies but I think multiple quality animated tv series should be a higher priority to get youths hooked and create a larger fan base.

#7 Posted by cameron83 (7514 posts) - - Show Bio

@FIash: yea but the young fans are easily influenced and can be easily attracted to marvel since they are younger,dc should still try to make more movies though since it can bring in more audiences at once and bring them up

#8 Posted by JediXMan (30942 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmo111687 said:

Not really DC's fault as much as Warner Bros.'s. Warner Bros. has a poor track-record with movies in general, but their animation is really high-quality, second only to Disney's.

This.

And despite Disney, DC's animation >>>>> Marvel's.

#9 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1982 posts) - - Show Bio

DC has also put a lot of great effort into things people don't even know are DC movies. "A History of Violence" and "Road to Perdition" were great films, but I'm guessing 90% of the folks that saw those didn't even know they are based on DC graphic novels. Same could go for "Red", which i did not see, but hear was good. Maybe half the folks that saw "Watchmen" and "V for Vendetta" knew they were DC films. (Well, Watchmen probably higher than that.) Everyone knows Superman and Batman are DC characters, and the Bat movies are great (Nolan's anyhow), but I think what's more essential than doing Flash, WW or GL right, is the next Superman movie MUST be good. The best Superman movies right now are still the ones from 1978 and 1980, if "Man of Steel" is good, and Superman and Batman both have movie respect, then I think people will be more excited about the prospect of Flash or Wonder Woman movies. Look at what Marvel did, after their top 2 franchises Spider-man and X-Men had well-recieved films (Though I think those were Columbia Pictures) They felt free to make movies of their secondary characters. And since those have been well-done lately (Though I thought Thor was "meh") folks have forgiven them for Daredevil, Elektra, X-men Origins, etc.... Though I have not forgiven them for the Fantastic Four movies. No reason the FF shouldn't be good films, regardless of which studio makes them.

#10 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

hurry up and make a good film!

just make a teen titans film, A flash film, a wonder woman film and a Nightwing film.

there DC have just made all the money in the world!

#11 Posted by CrimsonCake (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

@htb106 said:

hurry up and make a good film!

just make a teen titans film, A flash film, a wonder woman film and a Nightwing film.

there DC have just made all the money in the world!

There already working on a Teen Titans film so you're in luck.

#12 Posted by desmond006 (597 posts) - - Show Bio

DC gets an A for the games????? Realy?? I think DC comics is trying to make TV shows so they dont have to make movies. Thats just what I think. I do agree that it would be nice to see other characters in live action movies.

#13 Posted by cameron83 (7514 posts) - - Show Bio

@desmond006: batman arkham asylum and arkham city is just 2 examples of the games and that's all i need,in fact all i needed was 1,so yes,they get an A for games....also i think the TV shows are just there so dc is still recognized,or more likely to bring in younger audiences/more audiences

#14 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope MOS delivers and I want a Flash movie DAMMIT!

#15 Posted by cameron83 (7514 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: i think a flash movie script is already written and its in development or hopefully will go into development

#16 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone complains that DC only make Batman and Superman movies, yet no one went to see Green Lantern, they just complained about the trailers and downloaded it.  

Idiots, you brought the lack of diversity on yourself. 

(Not calling anyone in this thread an idiot, just the people who did the above)

#17 Posted by sinestro_GL (3251 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that DC need to diversify past Superman and Batman - but that applies to all areas, not just movies, but games and merchandising as well.

#18 Posted by desmond006 (597 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: So all it takes is one good thing to give them an A?

#19 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Everyone complains that DC only make Batman and Superman movies, yet no one went to see Green Lantern, they just complained about the trailers and downloaded it. Idiots, you brought the lack of diversity on yourself. (Not calling anyone in this thread an idiot, just the people who did the above)

To be fair, the fact that the movie... well, sucked, may have had something to do with it.

#20 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Everyone complains that DC only make Batman and Superman movies, yet no one went to see Green Lantern, they just complained about the trailers and downloaded it. Idiots, you brought the lack of diversity on yourself. (Not calling anyone in this thread an idiot, just the people who did the above)

To be fair, the fact that the movie... well, sucked, may have had something to do with it.

It really wasn't that bad. It was based on Geoff Johns' GL comics, which are terrible to begin with. At least Hal was a character in it. Granted he was watered down Kyle Rayner, but still a character. 
#21 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

It really wasn't that bad. It was based on Geoff Johns' GL comics, which are terrible to begin with. At least Hal was a character in it. Granted he was watered down Kyle Rayner, but still a character.

It wasn't that bad, but it really wasn't good either. It was mediocrity incarnate. The fact that it made an improvement over the source material really shouldn't excuse it.

I think DC understands this. They're not stupid, they know why the film underperformed, and I doubt this particular failure led them to put a damper on other projects. After all, if I'm not mistaken, a sequel to GL is nevertheless in the works.

#22 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

It wasn't that bad, but it really wasn't good either. It was mediocrity incarnate. The fact that it made an improvement over the source material really shouldn't excuse it.

I think DC understands this. They're not stupid, they know why the film underperformed, and I doubt this particular failure led them to put a damper on other projects. After all, if I'm not mistaken, a sequel to GL is nevertheless in the works.

I agree. It was mediocre, as you said. But people act as though it was another Batman and Robin, or "The Room" of comic book films, that's what frustrates me. 
#23 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I agree. It was mediocre, as you said. But people act as though it was another Batman and Robin, or "The Room" of comic book films, that's what frustrates me.

I think people were pampered by Marvel's success. Marvel gained a reputation making safe, entertaining comic book movies that didn't take itself too seriously and supposedly couldn't fail. When Green Lantern came out it was hailed as DC's answer to Iron Man (and it was a clear, painfully obvious answer to Iron Man), and when it failed to meet the expectations, the mood swung against it, giving it so many bad reviews and everything.

The optimist in me hopes that this taught dc a valuable lesson: DON'T COPY MARVEL!!!

#24 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I think people were pampered by Marvel's success. Marvel gained a reputation making safe, entertaining comic book movies that didn't take itself too seriously and supposedly couldn't fail. When Green Lantern came out it was hailed as DC's answer to Iron Man (and it was a clear, painfully obvious answer to Iron Man), and when it failed to meet the expectations, the mood swung against it, giving it so many bad reviews and everything.

The optimist in me hopes that this taught dc a valuable lesson: DON'T COPY MARVEL!!!

Agree with all of this so much.  

Thank Darkseid you're back lol
#25 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3563 posts) - - Show Bio

I still think Reynolds did fine in GL. The biggest problems were Peter Sarsgaard and some of the CGI work.

#26 Posted by TheThe (1745 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you for saying loud what almost everybody thinks in their mind. As a DC fan, i'm really ashamed. No wonder why Marvel kicks our butts on big screen.

#27 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Agree with all of this so much. Thank Darkseid you're back lol

Haha, it's good to be back, LOL.

#28 Posted by cameron83 (7514 posts) - - Show Bio

@desmond006: are you counting the success of the game,they're even coming out with another game soon,and mk vs dc wasn't really that good,but they didn't get bad reviews,conversation over

#29 Posted by cameron83 (7514 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheThe: i dont really think your a dc fan and im standing by that,but you are kinda right,although dc does have some good movies,however they try to put too much weight on batman and i agree with many people above,but in response,i guess they are trying to make a superman movie,but i also think thats in preparation to a JL movie,which they HAVE to make because they have put that on hold for so long now and they are due for one,especially because of avengers and dc HAS to do a good job because avengers put the bar really high

#30 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

DC doesn't HAVE to make a JL movie, and indeed I'd be happier if they didn't.

#31 Edited by cameron83 (7514 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom: that was a figure of speech,they wont die if they dont,but they are overdue..

and besides,im ok if they do or dont,but people are long awaiting for them to make one,more than games and animated movies,and more people want them to than dont...meaning majority rules,and there are people who are nuetral,but eventually they want a movie that is more than animated

#32 Posted by desmond006 (597 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: Hold on a second. Your mad at DC for not expending their movie characters but you'll give them an "A" for making a few good batman games??????

DC universe online did pretty well to I think.

#33 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

@AtPhantom: that was a figure of speech,they wont die if they dont,but they are overdue..

... I understood what you said.

And I stand by what I said. Making a movie 'because Marvel did it' is not a good reason to make movies. I'd rather wait another decade until they get all their s$%t together and make a great movie, than have them rush it now and make that are just okay.

#34 Edited by cameron83 (7514 posts) - - Show Bio

@desmond006: did i even say im mad at them for not expending their movies,it doesnt hurt me,im just saying step up their game a little,its a constructive comment,especially since i know im not the only one,however i like some new 52 characters and if they make one,i think they should put those ones in,like odyssey wonder woman (just a suggestion,any costume better than that is fine by me, especially since its an ok costume for wonder woman),and aquaman,i love new 52 aquaman,and new 52 batman is fine with me,etc.

also i said they get an A in games,especially how good the games were,and mk vs dc isnt a batman game,and yes dc universe online was pretty good

#35 Edited by TheThe (1745 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

@TheThe: i dont really think your a dc fan and im standing by that

Why do you think that ?(I hope you wont say "because of your avatar").

@cameron83 said:

although dc does have some good movies,however they try to put too much weight on batman and i agree with many people above,but in response,i guess they are trying to make a superman movie,but i also think thats in preparation to a JL movie,which they HAVE to make because they have put that on hold for so long now and they are due for one,especially because of avengers and dc HAS to do a good job because avengers put the bar really high

According to me, the problem is not only on DC, but also with WB. They dont know how to pick up their cast, directors, and they dont seem to have a clue on how to sell their characters. DC-WB is playing the "Trinity" thing, locking themselves in a trap, while they should use all the exposure given by their animated series in order to create a demand, more iconic status outside the world of comic readers. A lot of DC characters have Mass appeal, but they need real strategies and writers who actually cares about them.

Captain Marvel is the perfect choice to replace the likes of Harry Potter, because Kids love him and his stories are good enough for adults. Dr Fate with all the mysteries, Darks arts and magical powers behind him can make an astonishing winter movie a la "Narnia". Zak Snyder, with the way he portrays heroes and his camera filming style can make Flash something worth the watch. And also, DC needs to rewrite some characters in order to fit, cause there are a lot of things good in comics but which are a little out of the place on big screen.

Apart from Reynolds bad choice as a cast(they should have choose Bradley cooper) and Lively awful acting, the lack of rewriting was the curse of that Green Lantern movie. The CGU were bad and the plot was laughable.

They wanted to tell to many storylines in a single movie, while the smart idea would have been to proceed step by step like Nolan did with Batman : GL I for Origins and Description of the guardians, the corps, Abin Sùr, Sinistro and a caméo of Alan Scott ; GL II for Maturation of Hal Jordan, and the Threats of Sinistro; GL III for Rise and Fall of Hal Jordan( Parallax) and legacy of Hal Jordan introducing his followers.

And i think, Hal Jordan costume needs to be "real" clothes costume like Bat of Supe, and his constructions need also to be "real things" in solid matter which fell apart in ashes( because it's more appealing to the eye). Without rewriting and better use of CGU, it just doesnt work.

#36 Posted by cameron83 (7514 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheThe: i agree with you

#37 Posted by desmond006 (597 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83:I shouldnt have said your mad. I thought "MAKE A MOVIE THAT IS NOT BATMAN OR SUPERMAN" also meant make a game thats not superman or batman.

Do you think they would have to make the DC characters weaker like they powered down thor?

#38 Posted by cameron83 (7514 posts) - - Show Bio

@desmond006: well i dont think they should make the characters weaker,but it also depends,because you notice when superman is fighting and some of his punches and throws only throw a person 3 yards away or something,that is because he restrains himself,(as do many heroes do),so they can say that in the movie and atleast note it,and/or put them against a person who is comparable in standards,like,if they were to gu up against a person who is a threat,but not darkseid level,they dont need to go full-force,however it also depends on what the writers decide to do with the character

#39 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I disagree with this post. I see no rush for DC to make live action films. I rather see quality over quantity anyday. I also do not think films usually bring people to comics. I read an interesting article saying how the success of Marvels avengers movie still hasnt translated into people buying the comics, as opposed to the Walking Dead TV show has made the comics (mostly trades) explode in sales and help turn it into one of the best selling comics in the industry. So for DC i say continue on the Animated films Like Justice League Doom and and Superman vs The Elite and good shows like Young Justice. There Justice League show back in the early 2000s was excellent. I think if DC trys to make movies like Flash WW or another GL flick and they flop there will never be a Justice League movie. Movies help make characters mainstream but if Flash turns out like Marvel Ghost Rider, they become more of a joke. Focus on the comics and Digital comics and Animation I say.

#40 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure that after the Avengers Marvel should be getting the highest marks possible for movies

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.