Cancelled!: The First Casualities From The New 52

• 181 results
Posted by MattDemers (362 posts) - - Show Bio

Yesterday DC Comics announced that they will be making the first round of cuts from the New 52, cancelling six titles after their eighth issue. The titles headed to the chopping block are:

• Men Of War
  • Mister Terrific
  • O.M.A.C.
  • Hawk And Dove
  • Blackhawks
  • Static Shock

This announcement doesn't really surprise me, as most of these titles seemed destined for the trash bin due to poor sales and a lack of quality. I've only read three of the titles up there (Static, Mister Terrific, Blackhawks), so I can't give full reviews, but here's my thoughts.

Blackhawks

• This book had a very "GI Joe" feeling to it, which sadly included a lot of the throwaway characters without any solid development.
  • Like many New 52 titles, we were thrown into action without a chance to actually care about the people we were reading. Here's a protip: if the first issue of the book closes with a "stunning murder!" cliffhanger, you are doing something wrong.
  • The Blackhawks are an act based on Nostalgia: if you're picking up the book you're either looking for something completely new (and running into the problems above), or you're looking for any similarity to the badasses of old. Sadly, that isn't present here, which leads me to think they could have just made a leap of faith and used them as new IP.
  • They had no relevance to the DC Universe. There was never any feeling (unlike with Secret Warriors/Avengers over at Marvel) that their action had some permanence or significance. There's a number of DC books feel like they could be in their own imprint, instead of part of the universe proper.

Mister Terrific

• This book is possibly my biggest disappointment out of the New 52 (well, maybe besides the Gail Simone-helmed Batgirl). It took an awesome character with defining traits and turned him into a Black Reed Richards, dullness and all.
  • Michael Holt was never about super science, but subtle science. He was an atheist while standing beside gods, and stuck to his guns. Medical emergency? Guy was there. Computer virus? Memetic villain? This guy's your man. Time travel, teleportation and space adventures? It just didn't seem like his style. Holt was at his best when he was showing pure brainpower, not being flashy.
  • I'm not saying that that kind of comic scientist isn't great, but it's stuff we've seen before. Michael's old incarnation wasn't. He was unique, and DC smeared some vaseline on him, diluting his character, gave him Karen Starr as a sex-buddy and murdered someone in the first two issues (see above).

Static Shock

• This is perhaps the only surprising entry to this list of cancellations: I was under the impression that this book was at least the same quality as the surviving Blue Beetle.
  • Again, this book suffers from poor characterization and a rush to get to the action, leaving us to not care about the people we're reading about. Static lost a lot of his "realness" as a teen hero, and a convoluted backstory (which is just being revealed now, four-five issues in) did not help him.
  • He seems to be a know-it-all, well-funded super-genius, which, again, we have seen before. We didn't see much interaction between Static and other teens except when he was in "stakeout" mode, and it just took away from the belief that he actually had a life when he wasn't in the suit.
  • The book was a terribly formulaic, poor attempt at replicating the "Spider-Man" success without any qualities for teen readers to identify with and latch onto. Villains would scheme, Vergil would show up, spout some science and zap them into submission.
  • He would then go home and deal with his sister and her evil doppelgänger (which still hasn't been explained and is still treated as a "normal thing", five issues in), while the villains would scheme again. It was like Tim Burton's Batman film: Batman ended up not being the main character at all.

A Growing Problem

It's a pity that two books with African-American leads are cancelled at the same time, but the quality of the books were indicative of a growing problem. Terrific's creative team changed issue-to-issue, and Static made no traction to actually getting the story under way.

It's disappointing, because these were characters with a ton of potential. I enjoyed them in Teen Titans, the DCAU and Justice Society in the "old" DCU, and it pains me to see that the New 52 has chewed them up and spit them out.

Consistent quality is the most important factor in the opening months of a new book, as it establishes readers and gives a strong foundation to build off of. These books, sadly, did not have that.

If you liked this post, consider sharing, following Matt on Tumblr or on Twitter.

#1 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5218 posts) - - Show Bio

Whew! I thought Grifter was gonna get canned

#2 Posted by Skaddix (3109 posts) - - Show Bio

Well hard to argue with this analysis hits all the points I would have although I do disagree Mr. Terrific has built dimensional portals before and has done time travel as well.

#3 Posted by MattDemers (362 posts) - - Show Bio

@Guardiandevil83: I have a feeling that Wildstorm characters are relatively safe due to the Jim Lee connection; they seem to have survived way longer than they should have.

#4 Posted by thanosrules (546 posts) - - Show Bio

They should change the title to the "Remaining 46.."

"...and 6 Replacements"

#5 Posted by Kairan1979 (16705 posts) - - Show Bio
@Skaddix said:

Well hard to argue with this analysis hits all the points I would have although I do disagree Mr. Terrific has built dimensional portals before and has done time travel as well.

Maybe, but that wasn't what Michael Holt was about.
#6 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Static Shock and Mister Terrific had bad creative teams. Thats it. If they had better writers and artist it would have been different. I was going to try Static Shock with the writer change but now that its canceled I guess it doesn't matter. Static has always been a favorite of mine but its hard to write a good Static Shock comic. He needs to be funny, smart and most importantly A TEENAGER. Something that most writers have a problem getting a handle on. I actually think Lobdell would write a good Static Shock book.

#7 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32236 posts) - - Show Bio
@MattDemers: Hay Matt what do you think of there up-coming replacements?
#8 Posted by TashoftheFuture (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh, that sucks. Wish Suicide Squad was on this list though, can't believe that garbage is still alive.

#9 Posted by lmothander (98 posts) - - Show Bio

Was the lady in pink (Pandora) in all of these number 1s?

#10 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

It's too bad that Static was cancelled, it was turning the corner and characters like Pale Man and Gillotina were interesting side characters, oh well maybe next time

#11 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

That was obvious...

Men Of War was good, but more than likely noone read it

Mister Terrific was probably the worst or second worst comics of the 52...They shouldn't have canceled it though they should have replaced the write with the guy who wrote Robotman.

O.M.A.C. LMAO... what utter crap...

Hawk And Dove interesting concept ruined by not wanting to do research and an obvious lack of ability on the part of the writer and artist.

Blackhawks. I liked this one for what it was, but kinda sucks that we lost Zinda Blake and the real Birds of Prey for this and as pointed out. Didn't really fit.

Static Shock had potential, but it felt corporate controlled with wanting this but not that, dissecting the character and crumpling him up and then not really giving it a chance. They should have focused on the cartoon continuity because no one knew the comic one and there was a reason for that...

#12 Edited by MattDemers (362 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@MattDemers: Hay Matt what do you think of there up-coming replacements?
  • Batman Inc: Don't need another Batman title. Too many already.
  • Earth 2: Robinson Justice Society should be good. Tentatively interested.
  • World's Finest: I find Earth-2 versions of Huntress and Power Girl terribly boring; I prefer the "old DCU" version of both characters.
  • Dial H: Has never worked in the past (besides that one psycho iteration), probably won't work here.
  • GI Combat: Why cancel Men of War if they're going to replace it with "GI Combat?"
  • The Ravagers: Don't know much about it, but the concept seems like a stale mix of Runaways and Avengers Academy.

[edit]: Evidently we don't have all the information about the books, so take the above with a grain of salt.

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32236 posts) - - Show Bio
@MattDemers said:

@spiderbat87 said:

• World's Finest: I find Earth-2 versions of Huntress and Power Girl terribly boring; I prefer the "old DCU" version of both characters.
  • Dial H: Has never worked in the past (besides that one psycho iteration), probably won't work here.
  • GI Combat: Why cancel Men of War if they're going to replace it with "GI Combat?"
  • The Ravagers: Don't know much about it, but the concept seems like a stale mix of Runaways and Avengers Academy.
I mostly agree although I think Dial H could be good as it's a darker Vertigo type book.
#14 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

Blackhawks didn't really integrate itself within the DCU yet, but I can't imagine it being hard to do so. And they appear in an issue of Deathstroke (not sure if they have yet, I don't read it).

Static just got a new writer, deciding to cancel it was a strange decision.

And I believe Captain Atom was actually selling worse than Blackhawks, yet it's still around. Don't get me wrong, I've been enjoying it so far, but it's weird that it wasn't cancelled.

#15 Posted by wowylied (238 posts) - - Show Bio

It first i was okay with this article but then when i read this :

"It's a pity that two books with African-American leads are cancelled at the same time"

Seriously ? We are talking about cancelled comic and you try to ad a "something racist" into this ?

#16 Edited by Skaddix (3109 posts) - - Show Bio

@MattDemers said:

@spiderbat87 said:

I agree it sort of sounds like a cross between Avengers Academy and Runaways although DV8 might be the better analogy.

Get of your high horse noting the fact that 3 minority led books got cancelled is not in itself racist. Certainly I don't think anyone would say any of the books got quality creative teams. But someone thinking its a shame is not in itself racist.

#17 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

I almost never agree its your revie but I do agree with your analysis of these books. The whole his sister has a clone thing was so lame that whoever decided to execute it in that fashion should never be allowed to share an idea at that company ever again. They really thought that we were willing put up th that ridiculous plot for god knows how many issues? They must have thought they were guaranteed 20 issues or something.

#18 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@MattDemers said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Huh? Huntress and Power Girl originated on Earth-2, so doesn't that mean that DC has finally gone back to the "old DCU" versions?

#19 Posted by Owie (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

@wowylied said:

"It's a pity that two books with African-American leads are cancelled at the same time"

Seriously ? We are talking about cancelled comic and you try to ad a "something racist" into this ?

I don't think he's saying it was racist to cut them. I think he's saying that it's unfortunate that there are only a very very few comics out there with solo black lead characters, and two of them have now been cut. Which is too bad for the sake of diversity in general and for those looking for male African-American role models in comics in particular. It's not racist, it's just sad.

#20 Posted by Geniusmonkey (15 posts) - - Show Bio

DC shoulda added Batgirl. Love Barbra Gordon, but to pull her outta her chair for the Simone helmed drivel that is her new ongoing is shameful. Kill it and let a better writer have a shot at her (no pun intended). No offence to DC but the cancelled issues were so obviously never gonna work it makes you wonder why the bothered initally. Roll on Earth 2 and Batman Incorporated (I get it's ANOTHER Bat-title but it's originality and general weirdness makes it distinct from the other Bat-books by a mile)

#21 Posted by KidSupreme (824 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I kinda saw its coming even though I personally would have liked to seen Mister Terrific, Hawk And Dove, and Static Shock continue a little longer to see if maybe it would pick up with better story lines. I knew Men Of War, Mister Terrific, O.M.A.C., Hawk And Dove, Blackhawks and Static Shock would be cancelled all you had to do was pick up the Diamond preview books and you would have seen these book at the bottom row for sales.

@MattDemers: I agree with what you said in regards to the new comics that they are putting out.

#22 Posted by MattDemers (362 posts) - - Show Bio

@Owie said:

@wowylied said:

I don't think he's saying it was racist to cut them. I think he's saying that it's unfortunate that there are only a very very few comics out there with solo black lead characters, and two of them have now been cut. Which is too bad for the sake of diversity in general and for those looking for male African-American role models in comics in particular. It's not racist, it's just sad.

This.

#23 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

Feel the same about Static. Surprised to see it go.

#24 Posted by dadarkknight36310 (94 posts) - - Show Bio

@MattDemers: I think the only Bat book that dc can do without it The Dark Knight. Theother like Detective Comics and Batman have been around from the start. You need Batman and Robin for people that love Batman and Robin stories. As for Batman Inc it was already noted that this book was coming out to conclude this series. If anything they needed to cancel The Dark Knight so they can put Finch as a artist for another book.

#25 Posted by MattDemers (362 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

@MattDemers said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Huh? Huntress and Power Girl originated on Earth-2, so doesn't that mean that DC has finally gone back to the "old DCU" versions?

Bad phrasing by me. I mean the "old DCU" as the one that just passed. Post-Crisis, or whatever.

#26 Posted by JonesDeini (3619 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully this round will be the first of many.

#27 Edited by dbest109 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken: i agree that they should have cont. with the cartoon, cause there's just nothing really good on tv anymore, well not consistent anyway. canceling it is a mistake though. there's a bountiful amount of other "new 52" issue that shouldn't see the light of day again

#28 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (10918 posts) - - Show Bio

@MattDemers said:

@spiderbat87 said:

I feel like for World's Finest, they're going to use pre-FP Powergirl but I'm not sure about Huntress. No clue if it's Wayne or not.

Completely agreed with you on the Batman title. I love Batman to death but DC's hard on with him needs to end and give some limelight to other characters.

#29 Posted by Avalonia (297 posts) - - Show Bio

Off the top of my head, there are about fifteen DCnU books that I wouldn't care (or notice) if they got cancelled. I'm sad to see Blackhawks go, however.

On the other hand, I must say that I'm overjoyed to see Hawk and Dove get the can. If people start putting their money where their mouth is in regards to Liefeld (who absolutely should not be employed), maybe the industry will start to get the idea.

#30 Posted by GraphicCasualFreak (221 posts) - - Show Bio

I certainly agree that's it's sad that these titles are being cancelled. Unfortunately, as you also stated, I think it's DC's own fault. The more titles a publisher seems to put together at a time, it seems like the more chances there are for some to fall through the cracks. Similarly to this, Marvel's new titles have a very inconsistent quality level. The art in Defenders for instance, is TERRIBLE! I've all ways believed that it's better to have fewer titles with more support behind them, than a vast array of titles with only a shoestring level of support.

As someone who isn't a HIUGE fan of DC historically. I think many of these titles also lost traction because no one knew much about them before hand and without a strong showing right out of the gate; they lost the few people who were reading them and never got new people.

It's sad...

#31 Posted by Rixec (350 posts) - - Show Bio

Blue Beetle WILL survive!

#32 Posted by KidSupreme (824 posts) - - Show Bio

@wowylied said:

@wowylied: It is clear to me by your comment you hate black people... Only someone that hates black people would write that!!! I`m just messing with you! LoL I totally agree with you 100% when I read that

I was like why did you put that in there? What was the point? Maybe they should have also pointed out it was a pity to have cancel the only book with a Korean-America (O.M.A.C.). It is clear the reason for cancelling any series has nothing to do with race only sales.

Anyways their is BatWing and he is pure 100% African. :D That series is going strong, I`m loving it!

#33 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

As a character I like Mister Terrific but God do I hate that stupid electrical tape "T" mask he wears.

Totally surprised about Static Shock, thought it would be a survivor but that's the way it goes.

#34 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

Well that's disappointing to think about. What, maybe, they should have done in the New 52 is just retell their origins and bring the characters from the "old" DCU into the New 52 as more prominent without changing everything about them. Just bring those characters to the New 52. I am mostly talking about Mr. Terrific and Static Shock. For example, I am only familiar with Static from the cartoons mostly, so why not just retell his origins in a few pages and bring that character into the comic without any changes. From the cartoon, not sure what he was like in the comics, he was a young kid who lived at home with his father and sister. So why not show that.

With Mr. Terrific just bring the character from the JSA into his own new title. Just bring them into the forefront as they were, as what made them popular, without all the changes that seemed to have changed them too much.

I hope that these characters haven't been ruined forever in the New 52, and from this article it seems like maybe it has. The New 52 is meant to replace some of these characters, stuff that came before is supposed to have never happened, so technically Mr. Terrific was never the character in the JSA but is now the dull as Reed character mentioned in the article. I never really felt that interested in Blackhawks.

I never read these comics, because I have limited funds and there were other comics I wanted more. But its sad to see these comics get canceled and its sad to hear why.

What about OMAC? Or the other titles? Will there be a follow up to this article about why the others were axed?

#35 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe the new Earth-2 book could have a version of Mr. Terrific, one that harkens to the DCU.

#36 Posted by Herx (374 posts) - - Show Bio

Out of the 3 cancelled series that you mentioned above i only read 2 (actualy i only read 2 of the 6 being cancelled). Static and Mister Terrific.

I agree with what you said about static, we were basically thrown into the deep end with no sense of whats going on. I was even planning on dropping it but the mystery around the pale man was really making me want to read more. I do think that it was a bad move moving static from his own turff in Dakota to New York because a) anyone who's watched the static cartoon is more familiar with that setting plus it was his own turff where people knew him thereby legitamizing him as a hero. b) there was (i assume) a cast of side characters who Virgil (not static) could interact with, giving us that teenage aspect to him that was sooooo much needed. and c) New York already has two heros stationed in it, as mentioned by static in the first issue: Hawkman and Captain Atom, who are both larger names in the DCU, and pretty much dwarf static in the city (any big thing thats going to go down would probably happen in their books and not statics). I guess they were trying to leave the door for crossovers open, but it failed.

Mister Terrific, i agree with you compleatly, but i also think that you missed out the "blacksploitation" that is present in the series (made more abundantly clear in issue 5 with its Slavery message). I wasnt a fan of his redesigne (no fairplay jacket) and opening his first issue with Karen star as a side character was deffinatly a VERY BAD MOVE, essplecially when peope are asking "whats happend to powergirl" during this new 52?

Static i will miss. Terrific i will not. But i will be looking forward to "Earth-2", "Worlds finest", "The Ravagers" and "Batman inc" (but only if they play batman inc as a title that follows the other members of batman inc like Night runner, mister Unknown, black bat and man of bats rathern than just bruce wayne, because i agree with you, batmans been made head man of to many titles in this new 52).

#37 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio

@KidSupreme:

The new Ray is Korean-American as well, and had a great first issue. Beside the point though, mentioning the racial card was a little on the nose.

#38 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32236 posts) - - Show Bio
@KidSupreme: Try reading The Ray, who is in fact Korean American.
#39 Edited by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

I just hope they don't replace titles very often, some of it just feels like filler to reach that magical number 52. I'm pretty sure we're gonna see Static join Teen Titans soon tho, and Mister Terrific will probably be around in the Justice League. I still wish they would have added a Shazam! ongoing

#40 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

That's really a shame about those cancellations. Its not surprising, it just is disappointing. Especially with how Terrific seemed to pan out. Oh well, at least we may see the end of "Karen Starr" and a true return to Power Girl with Earth-2 coming up!

#41 Posted by Dernman (14615 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sobe Cin said:

@KidSupreme:

The new Ray is Korean-American as well, and had a great first issue. Beside the point though, mentioning the racial card was a little on the nose.

@spiderbat87 said:

It's only a mini.

#42 Posted by sweetesttoaster (144 posts) - - Show Bio

This guy is such a downer

#43 Posted by Dernman (14615 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to know why Red Lanterns wasn't canceled? I don't know it's sales but it's a terrible book IMO.

#44 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't almost all the New 52 comics start the first issue with action, hit the ground running, type stories? I got a few, Captain Atom (started with him fighting a guy in a robot suit), Superman, Batwing (was in the middle of a fight with the skull guy), Action Comics (started with Superman taking down a bad guy), Batman (started with Batman in the middle of Arkham fighting all his enemies), Flash, Nightwing, and others, and they all seemed to start the comics with action. I thought it was because they didn't want the New 52 to seem like a relaunch where each issue went into the origins and started from ground zero and built on that. Like they didn't want it to seem like the first issue of Static Shock, but they wanted to seem like a comic that had been going on for a while and we were getting into it a few issues in at least. Thats what I thought they wanted with the New 52. DC wasn't hitting the restart button, they were just revamping everything and letting new readers have a jumping on point but these characters still existed before this.

At least, thats what I thought DC was trying to do. And that is why, I think, most of the comics if no all started with action and didn't reveal everything right away.

#45 Edited by DarthShap (874 posts) - - Show Bio

@MattDemers said:

It was like Tim Burton's Batman film: Batman ended up not being the main character at all.

To be fair to Burton, that is what a good Batman story is supposed to be like. The Batman character is pretty much set in stone: he is crazy in a bunch of ways (schizoid, obsessive, paranoid, self-centered, antisocial...), we really should not expect any kind of real character development from him and therefore, it makes sense that the villains would have to carry the story. For obvious reasons, the only good character development story involving Batman is Year One. Other stories involving his psyche are mostly descriptive (TDKR, The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum Absolution, Ego...).

Of course, it goes without saying that what works for Batman does not for other superheroes.

#46 Posted by LP (673 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeez. Why bother rebooting everything if you're still going to have books that suck and get cancelled? The ones that really disappointed me here are the two very awesome characters Static and Terrific. Why did they do such a bad job at making their books?

#47 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman:It's selling decently, last I heard.

#48 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32236 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman said:

@Sobe Cin said:

@KidSupreme:

@spiderbat87 said:

It's only a mini.

True, hopefully if enough people buy it (I doubt it, even though it is good) they'll make it an ongoing. 
#49 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Mister Terrific was the only one of the New 52 that I put down after reading and said "that was horrible." Not why they gave Wallace another chance after his run on Titans.

I was disappointed by Blackhawks. I had high hopes for it considering how much I like Costa's work on Cobra over at IDW.

Static Shock had potential, but it suffered from the creative team musical chairs.

#50 Posted by Wowlock (198 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth: Power Girl might fit to that but Huntress we knew was not from Earth-2. That Huntress was Helena Wayne ( Daughter of Bruce and Selina )

From what we see , she is not THAT Huntress. She is the one we know from Birds of Prey or at least that's what I see when I look at her.

I am wondering how Earth 2 will fit into this though. I would've liked her to show up in the new Birds of Prey instead of ''returning to Earth 2 ''. But that might be my '' Its early to add an another earth to the mix '' sense talking.

-------------------------------

On the topic at hand, these cancellations certainly won't be the last and I gotta say some titles got lucky that they survived. One thing I am afraid about Batman titles are that DC overusing them and making them ''Too mainstream''. Either Batman will end-up in his own universe ( which I think he already has ) and it will differanciate the titles from rest of the DC titles or they will run out of ideas with 10-15 Batman titles coming out. I love the proper series like Batman , Detective Comics etc. But when you go off too much with the spin-offs like Batwing ...you are walking on thin ice.

I am tentative about the new titles but I will give them the fair chance of doubt without writing them off. I just hope we can get the proper stories and not just '' lets get into action at issue 1 ! ''

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.