Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Brutally Honest: DC's 75 Year Old Boys Club?

• 190 results
    blackcanaryguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By blackcanaryguy
    @Son_of_Magnus:  True, but that is a pretty recent development.  GL and Flash used to have pretty crappy sales, which is why a 75th anniversary logo shouldn't be based off the last few years of sales, but rather the 75-year history of a company that has made tons of $$ off WW merchandising.
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#152  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @blackcanaryguy:
    I agree with you there 
    and if it's about the past 75 years in summation 
    WW is much more recognizable overall 
    she's had her own tv show, TONS of merchandise 
    (you will be hard pressed to find a gay dude 25-45 years old who doesn't have a WW something in there house) 
    not that Flash and GL aren't familiar characters 
    but in the past 75 years, I think WW has become more of an iconic image
    blackcanaryguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By blackcanaryguy
    @crusader8463:  Well, seeing as there isn't a long legacy of institutionalized racism or sexism against white men, the kind of "discrimination" we face is different. But carry on with your flawed sociological analysis.

As for GL and Flash being more recognizable, that's pretty insane, since most non-comic readers have little or no clue who they are whereas WW is one of the few characters that has broad-based and international recognition. Wonder Woman merchandising has been a high-profit industry for decades, and continues to be so despite the comic's relatively low sales.  A thoughtful analysis would ask "huh, why does her merchandising do so well but the comic has disproportionately low sales?" Of course, it suggests a broad-based appeal even for those who think comic books are lame, as well as an interest in the character but a lack of satisfaction with how that character is dealt with in comic books. wonder Woman is a cultural touchstone. Flash and Green Lantern are popular comic book characters.
    WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#154  Edited By WW-Fan
    @Silkcuts said:
    "I can understand where WW gets no love, but what about AC and Jonn... no love there either. JLA core should of all been on the button. WW is hard to use because of the change DC is doing with her.  New suit and all, its like why there was no WW converse released. "

it dosent matter how she look today! she has only used that costume in three issues! she has almoust used the same costume more then 60 years! they are celebrating DC's 75 years!
    alicemalice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#155  Edited By alicemalice
    @Rheged: I would utterly have to agree.  The people on the one single button should be the icons of DC (which should include wonder woman, I agree).  But having a seperate button with all of the female characters feels like they are just pandering to us, and women honestly.  

And as a graphic designer...I'm not wild about this logo and I can see where you could even possibly fit in Wonder Woman.
    CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By CylonDorado

LAME. This button will not be purchased by me. It should have been Wonder Woman, I couldn't give less of a crap about Green Lantern. But I guess that's personal opinion. But it still would have been better, because you could more easily make a recognizable silhouette of Wonder Woman. With this, even a comic reader has to take a second and think, "circle on chest guy?". And a non-comic reader would probably be like, "Iron Man?" 

And if they made another one with all female characters, I wouldn't want it because that would be girly. Plus, I don't really care that much about any other female DC characters. Except, I guess Big Barda is pretty cool.
    Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Rheged

@alicemalice said:
    " @Rheged: I would utterly have to agree.  The people on the one single button should be the icons of DC (which should include wonder woman, I agree).  But having a seperate button with all of the female characters feels like they are just pandering to us, and women honestly.    And as a graphic designer...I'm not wild about this logo and I can see where you could even possibly fit in Wonder Woman. "

Even without the Wonder Woman mess, I have to say the logo suxs graphically.  White letters, thinly outlined with dull blue, on a white background.  O_O  The silhouettes are blob like, again in dull blue, and the individual super heroes logos are tiny. 

And yes, I feel the same way about the separate, segregated button for the women.  Female super-heroes are part of DC's history, they should be part of a logo commemorating that history.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#158  Edited By No_Name_
    @Joey Ravn said:
    " Seriously, this is a collection designed by Zazzle, not DC, and not every character is featured in every item. You're making it look like DC completely forgot about Wonder Woman, when in truth she's featured in more items than Flash, or any other character who's not in that badge for that matter. "
    I think Zazzle might be distributing, but as far as I know they don't generally design the logo's. Even if they did, it would have to be approved by DC because it's their logo and their merchandise. 
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#159  Edited By SevanGrim

doesnt matter what the reason is.  WW is the third Icon. Supes and Batman are above her, but FLash and GL are definitely below.  It wouldnt have been hard to put an extra silhouette on that button....

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Rheged
    @MysterioMaximus said:
    " @Rheged said:

"  Granted it is ironic, but your snicker should have gone after that sentence, not after the idea of Wonder Woman as a trail blazer.  And yes, you're correct, I should have said the first enduring female super-hero, or first female superhero who made an impact.Just because YOU think it has nothing to do with sexism and everything to do with sales, doesn't mean that is the case.  I find it amazing that you can't see how this logo can be interpreted as sexist,  but hey, you certainly aren't alone, so I'm not going dismiss your opinion as ridiculous. I will even go so far as to say that if this had just been a regular DC logo button, I'd probably be of a similar opinion.  But it isn't.  It's a button that is supposedly paying tribute to 75 years of HISTORY -- not sales figures.  You acknowledged this yourself.  DC wants to trade on their history, and is marketing it, but they leave out their iconic _woman_ superhero?  I feel certain, if you asked the general public to name a female super hero, most would answer, Wonder Woman.  THAT is the character you want to leave off your logo? Am I saying the DC guys got together and purposely decided, let's treat women like crap?  No, not at all.  I'm saying that it appears it is still acceptable in our society to ignore, belittle, or dismiss the contributions and opinions of women, and this logo appears to be an example of that.  I don't think calling people on such behavior is looking for a soapbox.  It's trying to changing that attitude. "

I can't deny your points, all very well said and correct. You're right, I do think it has nothing to do with sexism, I don't know that. And I can't deny that. But it's all just subjective at this point because you don't technically know it is any more than I know it isn't, right? It's all just theory. Way I see it is...sexism absolutely is a relevant and important issue, but at the end of the day, DC, whether on their latest logo or not, has these powerful female role-models nonetheless. They star in everything from books and silver screen to the toy aisles and grocery stores. So is this really something to get in such a tizzy over to begin with? The females aren't really ignored in the thick of things. Frankly, I think the disrespect for the history (I cannot deny her impact) is more insulting than the fact that it's all men.   So I'll just play devils advocate, not that I feel this way...but just for the fun of debate, because it's nice to have a friendly and educated debater. Couldn't I just as easily say, again, "What is wrong with an all male button?" Does a female really have to be included for it to NOT be sexist? Ergo couldn't I essentially argue that any cover without a female is sexist? For that matter, any cover without a male too? Goes both ways... "

But isn't that worse, then?  If DC has powerful female role-models -- but they don't want even one of them to represent their company?  That's the message DC is sending, whether it intended to or not.  Sexism doesn't have to be intentional, and often is not.  Much of the time it is more of an attitude of dismissal and marginalizing.  It's also subjective, and much of it lies in perception -- which isn't very helpful when trying to discuss it or squash it.  This is not to say, that I think Wonder Woman should be on the logo because it should have a token female, cause I consider that sexism also.  Wonder Woman should be on that logo because she's earned her place on it as the most iconic DC superhero behind Bats and Supes.  I'm not talking about sales, modern appreciation, upcoming movies ... I'm talking ICON.  An instantly recognizable figure among fans and the general public alike.  The fact that she's not on it, for whatever 'logical' marketing reason DC would like to offer, sends the message that DC doesn't consider her an important enough part of their history.  And traditionally, that is what happens to women and their contributions to history and traditionally society thinks that is acceptable.  Hence, the uproar.

Is a comic button logo really such a big deal?  In the grand scheme of things, of course not.  Anymore than comic books themselves are really such a big deal.  And yet, here we are all are, spending an inordinate amount of time, and money, reading, talking, playing discussing, researching, what is basically trivial entertainment that the rest of the world finds ridiculous.  WE assign importance to things in our lives, so what's important will be subjective to a large degree.  Again, just because some people think this is unimportant, doesn't mean that it IS unimportant.  I have no interest whatsoever in Battles on this site, but that doesn't mean I think they are unimportant.  Clearly, they are, to people other than myself.  Plus ... great change often does not come because of great battles.  Change usually comes about in little steps over the little things in life.

I'm really not the person to be arguing this hypothetical, cause to be honest, I'm not much of a feminist.  IF this were not supposed to a logo honoring 75 years of DC history, I'd probably not see anything wrong with an all male button, as long as there was an all female button, and both genders were depicted in an equal manner, i.e. if I have to look at Black Canary's fishnet butt, I want to see Bruce Wayne's backside given equal time.  But it IS a logo honoring the company's history, that's the sticking point..   I didn't complain about there being no women on the Marvel 70th Anniversary logo, because sadly, there aren't any iconic female characters at Marvel, much less women that had the historical impact of the six men they chose (Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Spider-Man, Cap, and Wolvie).  I complained about them ignoring their historically important characters, but that's another matter entirely.  If they had put Elektra on the logo instead of Wolvie, I'd have felt they were adding the token female and practicing the reverse sexism you complained about.

And no.  I don't want gender quotas imposed on my comic book covers.  I don't believe in quotas, though I understand their purpose.  I believe PEOPLE, regardless of gender, should earn their places.  If a person is not in the book, then they don't need to be on the cover -- to do otherwise could be interpreted as sexist toward either gender... Of course, I'm ignoring the whole marketing angle where they put cameos who sell on the cover.  =_=
    Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Rheged
    @BrianG2k said:
    " damned if you do, damned if you don't. I feel like you complain about women being exploited in one breath and then complain about them being oppressed in another. why not talk about comic books? including ones besides DC and Marvel. "
    Being exploited and being oppressed are not mutually exclusive.  In fact, most of the time, they go hand in hand.  Who would be in a position to exploit the oppressors?
    NawfalQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 10

#162  Edited By NawfalQ

Sheesh.... no WW? really?

Avatar image for darkwolverineusmc
    darkwolverineUSMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

She's a pivotal character in DC history, but it's their decision.

weapon154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By weapon154

Who would be the trinity for women of dc ?

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @weapon154:
    probably Wonder Woman - the most iconic female hero in history 
    Black Canary - silver age heroine, uber popular with boys and fanboys alike 
    and either Batgirl or Supergirl? 
    maybe Catwoman? 
    AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By AMS

Ok long time lurker just signed up to say no offence but if some of the people moaning on here spent more time buying the Wonder Woman comics instead of moaning and bluffing about being such a huge fan this whole situation probably wouldn't even have arose. 

I am not saying the point isn't valid, it is WW is meant to be one of the 'Trinity' big three cornerstones of DC from DC's own mouth. 

But then again this is celebrating DC's birthday not the Trinity. They could put any combination of DC characters up on the little badge and people would moan that their character isn't being repersented, I could moan why the Legion Of Super Heroes aren't on the badge if i wanted, everyone could tit for tat.  

Ok that point aside they decided to put their most popular selling characters with movies out or coming out on the badge.  The insulting thing about this whole drama is, why does a woman character have to be up their if she isn't popular sales wise? Also isn't it not also patronising to the female readers of the characters that are on the badge, where is the written rule that females must read Wonder Woman and can't enjoy Superman, Batman, Flash or the Green Lantern? 

If a female character has to be on the badge then why not Supergirl or Powergirl or Batgirl who have both outsold Wonder Woman at certain times be on the badge? Where does it say only Trinity characters have to be on the badge? 

Plus it can be argued Supergirl is more known and popular than Wonder Woman in general terms in popular culture despite DC's contary opinion that Wonder Woman is their biggest female heroine.

What next are people going to moan about, that the Green Lantern is not John Stewart so the badge is racist for having all white male leads on it. 

I mean seriously where does it end?  

Your character isn't popular so the ones who are successful and popular have to suffer for their success and concessions must be made just so your character can assume a false position. 

IT IS JUST A BADGE AT THE END OF THE DAY.............
    Arcainite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#167  Edited By Arcainite

The Wonder Woman tv show was highly successful and the animated movie they came out with recently was really quite good.  She should have been on there.
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @Arcainite:
    agreed 
    I don't know why that movie didn't get a little more fan support  
    it was really good! 
    especially compared to some of the crap DC animation has put out 
    Batman Superman: Public Enemies????? not good
    Fake Shemp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Fake Shemp
    @crusader8463 said:

" @Fake Shemp said:

"  Anyone who says that this isn't a result of sexism is delusional.  Maybe the pin did exclude her for marketing reasons (after all, Green Lantern and Flash have movies coming up), but why do you think Wonder Woman isn't getting a movie along with them?  Because studio executives don't think that a female-led superhero movie can make any money.   It pisses me off so much.  DC doesn't even THINK about how minorities are being underrepresented...whenever the topic comes up they just feebly try to defend themselves (and it's worth noting that every single person who acts all shocked by accusations of sexism/racism/homophobia is a straight white male).  It's no wonder comics are selling so poorly...they're not even trying to sell to anyone who's not privileged. "

Wow...just wow. I hope you were being sarcastic, because that is hands down one of the most sexist and racist things I have had the displeasure of reading in some time. Oh wait, you were being sexist against men and racist towards white people my bad. I keep forgetting that you can't do ether of those in this day and age because we can't be offended when racist/sexist bigots like yourself insult me because I was born white and male. I keep forgetting that only white men can be sexist, racist, homophobes.   Carry on then. "
     You're right, you CAN'T be racist against whites or sexist against men.  If you don't know why (and it has nothing to do with "this day and age") just read this article:
    http://www.raceandhistory.com/selfnews/viewnews.cgi?newsid1024893033,80611,.shtml
    Basically what it's saying is that racism is about a person in a position of privilege using his or her power to marginalize people in other groups - therefore, only people who belong to the groups that are in power (so whites or, in cases that aren't regarding race and are referring to other -isms, straight, male, cisgendered, and able-bodied people) are capable of practicing it.  To quote the piece, " What separates white racism from any other form, and what makes anti-black, anti-brown, anti-yellow, or anti-red humor more biting and more dangerous than its anti-white equivalent is the ability of the former to become lodged in the minds of and perceptions of the citizenry."  If you still don't understand, I'd suggest looking up some of Tim Wise's speeches and writings.  I also feel obligated to mention that I'm white - I'm just able to acknowledge my privilege.

And I never said that only white men could be sexist, racist, or homophobic, I'm just saying that every time someone from DC has tried to respond to being called out for representing minority characters poorly he/she has spoken from a position of privilege.  They don't know how it feels to be part of a certain marginalized group so it's easy for them to say something isn't offensive.  I'd say the same thing if a cisgendered lesbian black woman offended a trans person and then tried to explain how she wasn't being transphobic.

If you still feel upset about being classified because of your race and gender, good.  Now you have a very slight idea of what most Americans have to deal with all the time.
    Praetor_fenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#170  Edited By Praetor_fenix

Infamy! Wonder Woman should totally be on that logo alongside Batman and Superman, then they could have made 2 variants: The one in the picture, and an all female one. DC's Trinity is the mos representative they have.

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Rheged
    @Fake Shemp said:

" @crusader8463 said:

" @Fake Shemp said:

"  Anyone who says that this isn't a result of sexism is delusional.  Maybe the pin did exclude her for marketing reasons (after all, Green Lantern and Flash have movies coming up), but why do you think Wonder Woman isn't getting a movie along with them?  Because studio executives don't think that a female-led superhero movie can make any money.   It pisses me off so much.  DC doesn't even THINK about how minorities are being underrepresented...whenever the topic comes up they just feebly try to defend themselves (and it's worth noting that every single person who acts all shocked by accusations of sexism/racism/homophobia is a straight white male).  It's no wonder comics are selling so poorly...they're not even trying to sell to anyone who's not privileged. "

Wow...just wow. I hope you were being sarcastic, because that is hands down one of the most sexist and racist things I have had the displeasure of reading in some time. Oh wait, you were being sexist against men and racist towards white people my bad. I keep forgetting that you can't do ether of those in this day and age because we can't be offended when racist/sexist bigots like yourself insult me because I was born white and male. I keep forgetting that only white men can be sexist, racist, homophobes.   Carry on then. "
     You're right, you CAN'T be racist against whites or sexist against men.  If you don't know why (and it has nothing to do with "this day and age") just read this article:http://www.raceandhistory.com/selfnews/viewnews.cgi?newsid1024893033,80611,.shtmlBasically what it's saying is that racism is about a person in a position of privilege using his or her power to marginalize people in other groups - therefore, only people who belong to the groups that are in power (so whites or, in cases that aren't regarding race and are referring to other -isms, straight, male, cisgendered, and able-bodied people) are capable of practicing it.  To quote the piece, " What separates white racism from any other form, and what makes anti-black, anti-brown, anti-yellow, or anti-red humor more biting and more dangerous than its anti-white equivalent is the ability of the former to become lodged in the minds of and perceptions of the citizenry."  If you still don't understand, I'd suggest looking up some of Tim Wise's speeches and writings.  I also feel obligated to mention that I'm white - I'm just able to acknowledge my privilege. And I never said that only white men could be sexist, racist, or homophobic, I'm just saying that every time someone from DC has tried to respond to being called out for representing minority characters poorly he/she has spoken from a position of privilege.  They don't know how it feels to be part of a certain marginalized group so it's easy for them to say something isn't offensive.  I'd say the same thing if a cisgendered lesbian black woman offended a trans person and then tried to explain how she wasn't being transphobic. If you still feel upset about being classified because of your race and gender, good.  Now you have a very slight idea of what most Americans have to deal with all the time. "
     You do know that a woman runs DC now, right? 

I'm not even going to that link, cause reading this alone makes my head hurt.  I strongly disagree with this ... theory.  I don't appreciate people trying to twist language to suit their agenda -- it's hard enough to discuss issues and understand other people's POV without adding definitions to words.  If you are talking about privilege, you are talking about class.  If you are talking about skin color, you are talking about racism.  They are NOT the same thing.  Are they used together?  Sure.  But that doesn't make a racism from any color more acceptable than another.  Not in my book.

I'm not white, I'm not male, I'm just a person like everyone else, for goodness sakes.
    Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Rheged
    @AMS said:
    " Ok long time lurker just signed up to say no offence but if some of the people moaning on here spent more time buying the Wonder Woman comics instead of moaning and bluffing about being such a huge fan this whole situation probably wouldn't even have arose.  I am not saying the point isn't valid, it is WW is meant to be one of the 'Trinity' big three cornerstones of DC from DC's own mouth.  But then again this is celebrating DC's birthday not the Trinity. They could put any combination of DC characters up on the little badge and people would moan that their character isn't being repersented, I could moan why the Legion Of Super Heroes aren't on the badge if i wanted, everyone could tit for tat.   Ok that point aside they decided to put their most popular selling characters with movies out or coming out on the badge.  The insulting thing about this whole drama is, why does a woman character have to be up their if she isn't popular sales wise? Also isn't it not also patronising to the female readers of the characters that are on the badge, where is the written rule that females must read Wonder Woman and can't enjoy Superman, Batman, Flash or the Green Lantern?   If a female character has to be on the badge then why not Supergirl or Powergirl or Batgirl who have both outsold Wonder Woman at certain times be on the badge? Where does it say only Trinity characters have to be on the badge?  Plus it can be argued Supergirl is more known and popular than Wonder Woman in general terms in popular culture despite DC's contary opinion that Wonder Woman is their biggest female heroine. What next are people going to moan about, that the Green Lantern is not John Stewart so the badge is racist for having all white male leads on it.  I mean seriously where does it end?   Your character isn't popular so the ones who are successful and popular have to suffer for their success and concessions must be made just so your character can assume a false position.  IT IS JUST A BADGE AT THE END OF THE DAY............. "
    Sheesh.  For something that's JUST A BADGE you sure wasted a lot of space talking about it, not to mention, with all the cool things on this site,  THIS discussion is what got you to stop lurking?  I think it's more than JUST A BADGE to you too.

The rest of your post is bogus.
    Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#173  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @Fake Shemp said:

" @crusader8463 said:

" @Fake Shemp said:

You're right, you CAN'T be racist against whites or sexist against men.  If you don't know why (and it has nothing to do with "this day and age") just read this article:http://www.raceandhistory.com/selfnews/viewnews.cgi?newsid1024893033,80611,.shtmlBasically what it's saying is that racism is about a person in a position of privilege using his or her power to marginalize people in other groups - therefore, only people who belong to the groups that are in power (so whites or, in cases that aren't regarding race and are referring to other -isms, straight, male, cisgendered, and able-bodied people) are capable of practicing it.  To quote the piece, " What separates white racism from any other form, and what makes anti-black, anti-brown, anti-yellow, or anti-red humor more biting and more dangerous than its anti-white equivalent is the ability of the former to become lodged in the minds of and perceptions of the citizenry."  If you still don't understand, I'd suggest looking up some of Tim Wise's speeches and writings.  I also feel obligated to mention that I'm white - I'm just able to acknowledge my privilege. And I never said that only white men could be sexist, racist, or homophobic, I'm just saying that every time someone from DC has tried to respond to being called out for representing minority characters poorly he/she has spoken from a position of privilege.  They don't know how it feels to be part of a certain marginalized group so it's easy for them to say something isn't offensive.  I'd say the same thing if a cisgendered lesbian black woman offended a trans person and then tried to explain how she wasn't being transphobic. If you still feel upset about being classified because of your race and gender, good.  Now you have a very slight idea of what most Americans have to deal with all the time. "
    With all due respect, though I'm not the first to say it, this might be one of the most absurd posts I've ever read. It quite literally is a billboard for how there can be sexism and racism against whites every bit as much as any other ethnicity. The mass sweeping generality of white men universally being in power is comical. I'm a white male, I'm not wealthy, I'm not a politician, and depressed though it may sound...in the grand scheme of things I'm rather...insignificant. But according to this theory, I'm white...therefore I'm controlling, power-hungry, and inherently privileged? ...Hah! I'm a freaking hippie, I have longer hair than most females, I have strong liberal and environmental opinions, I'm openly and happily agnostic, a nerd through and through... I don't know what it feels like to be segregated, mocked, frowned upon for no rational reason whatsoever? Everything I mentioned being is a marginalized group that has to face bigotry constantly. Do you think that, because I'm a white man, women haven't instantly judged me as trying to sleep with them, use them, that I'll beat them if I get angry and etc. Pssh! White men are the first to be socially vilified. Always! Women have used and abused my generousness time and time again, but that's alright...and do you have any idea how many women I've known that feel the men should be the obligatory breadwinner and that 50's "Leave It To Beaver" stigma family crap, that if I'm not quite literally in control that I'm somehow less of a man? That if I don't watch sports, if I'm not taller than her, if I'm not fixing the car while downing some Budweiser, I'm not truly a man. Well...why? Sexism! Quite frankly, this has to be one of the shoddiest theories I've ever heard. It's a mass sweeping stereotype from a white guilt-ridden apologist unreasonably sweeping all white men under the same label. We're not all Glen Beck, thankfully, and this is the poster for how there is white male racism -sexism. The entire argument is a paradox.

This unintentional form of segregation, done with the best intentions though it may be, really will never stop dividing races and the sexes, but actually just stoke up and up more and more bigotry. It's fueling hate, not petitioning for understanding tolerance. We'll never unite until we begin to view the most crucial race as being the human race. Ethnicity and gender are ultimately obsolete, else-wise there will be no genuine equality.
    Mr_Wayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#174  Edited By Mr_Wayne69
    @Rheged said:
    " @AMS said:
    " Ok long time lurker just signed up to say no offence but if some of the people moaning on here spent more time buying the Wonder Woman comics instead of moaning and bluffing about being such a huge fan this whole situation probably wouldn't even have arose.  I am not saying the point isn't valid, it is WW is meant to be one of the 'Trinity' big three cornerstones of DC from DC's own mouth.  But then again this is celebrating DC's birthday not the Trinity. They could put any combination of DC characters up on the little badge and people would moan that their character isn't being repersented, I could moan why the Legion Of Super Heroes aren't on the badge if i wanted, everyone could tit for tat.   Ok that point aside they decided to put their most popular selling characters with movies out or coming out on the badge.  The insulting thing about this whole drama is, why does a woman character have to be up their if she isn't popular sales wise? Also isn't it not also patronising to the female readers of the characters that are on the badge, where is the written rule that females must read Wonder Woman and can't enjoy Superman, Batman, Flash or the Green Lantern?   If a female character has to be on the badge then why not Supergirl or Powergirl or Batgirl who have both outsold Wonder Woman at certain times be on the badge? Where does it say only Trinity characters have to be on the badge?  Plus it can be argued Supergirl is more known and popular than Wonder Woman in general terms in popular culture despite DC's contary opinion that Wonder Woman is their biggest female heroine. What next are people going to moan about, that the Green Lantern is not John Stewart so the badge is racist for having all white male leads on it.  I mean seriously where does it end?   Your character isn't popular so the ones who are successful and popular have to suffer for their success and concessions must be made just so your character can assume a false position.  IT IS JUST A BADGE AT THE END OF THE DAY............. "
    Sheesh.  For something that's JUST A BADGE you sure wasted a lot of space talking about it, not to mention, with all the cool things on this site,  THIS discussion is what got you to stop lurking?  I think it's more than JUST A BADGE to you too.  The rest of your post is bogus. "
    GOT EM! Lol!
    Mr_Wayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#175  Edited By Mr_Wayne69

Wonder Woman is instantly recognizable. For that alone she should be on that badge. Insane!

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By TheBug

I was a little put off when I saw this. I get why GL and Flash are there. They have really become the focus of the last five years of DC, but why exclude Diana? Totally pro the ladies only pin.
    Dr. ? man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Dr. ? man

I don't see this as a problem worth signing a petition over it. There's plenty of Wonder Woman memorabilia to be found affiliated with the makers of the pen.

BloodyFlix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By BloodyFlix

I don't think she was left off in malice, but I do think it was a bad choice. 

She is universally regarded as the one of the "Big Three." Historically speaking she has had a huge impact on the company, she usually plays a big part in major company storylines and I happen to think that her WW symbol is both highly recognizable and would look great on a stylized silhouette.  

I wouldn't be oppossed to a female version of the image, however, I  unfortunately don't believe that any other women in the DC universe have that kind of status. Not that I am not a fan of several of them, but they really don't equate, in my opionion, to the male heroes.  I'm not being sexist by the way; most of my favorite characters are female.

Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#179  Edited By Gothic Storm
    @Rheged said:
    " @Gothic Storm said:
    " @Rheged:  Meh, raising money and awareness to fight a world-wide disease isn't for everyone. To each his (or her) own I guess. "
    Thank you for showing me exactly why I dislike your suggestion even more.  Because basically you are saying, it's okay to be sexist if the money goes to a good cause.  I don't think so.  Nor do I think women (or men) should have to choose between equality and supporting the fight against cancer. How about selling a pin that shows superheroes, both men and women, as equals, and have the money go to a non-gender specific cancer research?  Is that really so much to ask? "
    Wow. How in God's name do you think that I am being sexist if I actually want a FEMALE version of the DC pin? Hell, paint the boys pin blue and let the proceeds go to Testicular Cancer Research. I am a Cancer survivor myself... My Cancer has been in remission 4 years this past May. (woot!) Each year I walk in the Annual Breast Cancer relay in Atlanta and I love "Saving the Ta-Ta's!!!" (as is one of the fun slogans some of the t-shirts there read)

Seriously, I was merely suggesting an idea for a lady-version of the DC pin. I really did not mean for you to get so flustered over it... My apologies if I offended you. 
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#180  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Most of the people I know personally that are really into DC are way older than I am.Maybe there is something more "grown up" about DC that i'm missing.

Olucon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Olucon
       Jordanstine
    on Sept. 13, 2010

No Aquaman!? 

(Call on the hall of justice computer, Aquaman answers...) 
    Help! There's an orphanage on fire! We need  Superman! 

Aquaman: Oh uhh he's gone.. some kind of meteor thing.... I can come help! 

Guy on phone: Ohh uhh.. .what about batman? 

Aquaman: He's gone too....  

Guy on phone: Flash?, Green Lantern? Apache Chief? 

Aquaman: Everyone's gone, it's just me...  

Guy on phone: What about the wonder twins? 

Aquaman: I'll be right over, just let me call my aquatic friends.... 

Guy on phone: NO!, er umm I mean no, i think i'll just call the fire department...<Click>  

- Need I say more?
    undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By undeadpool

DC reveals their new comics line-up and, shocking everyone, there are absolutely no women (except as wives) and no minorities (except as villains)! This seems like business as usual.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#183  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Olucon said:
    "
       Jordanstine
    on Sept. 13, 2010

No Aquaman!? 

(Call on the hall of justice computer, Aquaman answers...) Help! There's an orphanage on fire! We need  Superman!  Aquaman: Oh uhh he's gone.. some kind of meteor thing.... I can come help!  Guy on phone: Ohh uhh.. .what about batman?  Aquaman: He's gone too....    Guy on phone: Flash?, Green Lantern? Apache Chief?  Aquaman: Everyone's gone, it's just me...   Guy on phone: What about the wonder twins?  Aquaman: I'll be right over, just let me call my aquatic friends....   Guy on phone: NO!, er umm I mean no, i think i'll just call the fire department...<Click>     - Need I say more? "
    (note im not trying to sound like an outraged fanboy, im just trying to point out that hes underated. so if u think im trying to disrespect you i apologise)
    wow you really dont know shit about aquaman do you? 

well bucky let me hip you to the sea king 

a) aquaman would probab;y be one of the best people to send because he is highly heat resistant,and posses strength and stamina sufficient to beat down Martian Manhunter who is on par with superman and Wonder Woman    

if u need anymore education on Aquaman here are links for a two part video showing just how awesome he is 
    part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU7bp8BcX7o 
    Part 2:http: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_epPJE7vcho
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Undeadpool said:
    "DC reveals their new comics line-up and, shocking everyone, there are absolutely no women (except as wives) and no minorities (except as villains)! This seems like business as usual. "

your joking right ?
    lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#185  Edited By lorex

I see leaving Wonder Woman off of the logo is part of a larger strategy on DC's part to replace Wonder Woman in the DC Trinity of power  with Green Lantern or Flash. I mean look at all of the attention they have been getting the last few years. While Diana has been present her role in the DC universe has been shrinking recently. I think she deserves better and its an insult to Wonder Woman fans.

AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By AMS
    @Rheged: 

'The rest of your post is bogus' 

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Rheged
    @Gothic Storm said:
    " @Rheged said:
    " @Gothic Storm said:
    " @Rheged:  Meh, raising money and awareness to fight a world-wide disease isn't for everyone. To each his (or her) own I guess. "
    Thank you for showing me exactly why I dislike your suggestion even more.  Because basically you are saying, it's okay to be sexist if the money goes to a good cause.  I don't think so.  Nor do I think women (or men) should have to choose between equality and supporting the fight against cancer. How about selling a pin that shows superheroes, both men and women, as equals, and have the money go to a non-gender specific cancer research?  Is that really so much to ask? "
    Wow. How in God's name do you think that I am being sexist if I actually want a FEMALE version of the DC pin? Hell, paint the boys pin blue and let the proceeds go to Testicular Cancer Research. I am a Cancer survivor myself... My Cancer has been in remission 4 years this past May. (woot!) Each year I walk in the Annual Breast Cancer relay in Atlanta and I love "Saving the Ta-Ta's!!!" (as is one of the fun slogans some of the t-shirts there read)  Seriously, I was merely suggesting an idea for a lady-version of the DC pin. I really did not mean for you to get so flustered over it... My apologies if I offended you.  "
    Well, thank you, because I was offended by your implication that if I didn't agree with your suggestion, I was against raising money and awareness for cancer, which I am NOT.

I've answered this already, but I'll try again.  In THIS instance -- a pin celebrating 75 years of DC history -- Wonder Woman should be included with the boys on the pin, not because it should have a token female, but because she's earned it.  Making an all female pin now, to answer the protests, is a sop, that smacks of 'separate but equal.'  If you tack on the "buy it for breast cancer!' tag, you are trying to shame people, as you attempted to do with me, into accepting DC's sexist message.

Now if you are suggesting a REGULAR DC logo pin, and want to spotlight a particular gender, orientation, race, etc., and want the proceeds to go to charity, then peachy.  Sounds like a good thing to do.  Of course, unlike the 4 guys on that pin, Wonder Woman already has been doing that since 2006 on Wonder Woman Day.

And I'm very glad to hear you are in remission and doing well.  Best wishes for your continued health.
    Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#188  Edited By Gothic Storm
    @Rheged:  Geez, I should have stuck with my first instinct of just saying, "Yeah, they should really go and put Wonder Woman on that there gosh darn it pin!" I'm an old school comic book reader so yes I know Wonder Woman has earned her spot on the pin (They don't call it the DC Trinity for nothing).  So much for trying the creative approach though I guess. I tend to forget how testy some people can be about the dramatic politics on a comic book website board. (Must be why there is an Edit button!) Just to keep everything politically correct, I'll share a more general idea for the buttons which some have already been listed before me... First off, have Team Pins. Teen Titans, Justice League, Legionaires, Green Lantern Corps, etc... Secondly have a DC Trinity pin with Batman, WW, and Supes. Third, have a DC Villains pin with some of their major villains... OR... Just put Wonder Woman on that there gosh darn it pin!  :)
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Relax people   i have thought of the  perfect solution........... just put ME on the pin
    yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#190  Edited By yo_yo_fun

poop.
    Aria_belle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Aria_belle

I am a bit late to the thread and normally I wouldn't post but after reading 10 pages of this, and yes, I did read it all, I feel I deserve to post, even if I am just reiterateing what someone else said...

Yes she deserves to be there for her iconic stature and for her time spent, not because she is a woman (but it doesn't hurt) but because of who she is and what she has done for DC. I think she should be on this pin, not another pin of all women, on this pin, with Batman and Superman. You wanna throw someone else on there to make some money and increase sales, sure, why not, its America and and its the real world, but I vote she does belong there and I signed the petition and all that. 

Ok I am done, Good day sir!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.