Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Brutally Honest: DC's 75 Year Old Boys Club?

• 190 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

No Caption Provided
    When I first caught a glimpse of the logo that DC Comics plans to use for their merchandise to commemorate their 75th Anniversary, I thought nothing of it- then I did a quick double take. The logo that will be representing and commemorating the last 75 years of DC Comics was definitely missing something. Oh yeah, where the hell is Wonder Woman? The new logo featuring silhouetted images of Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, and the Flash will appear on DC Comics merchandise and will celebrate the last 75 years of DC comics. Granted, the decision to place Green Lantern and The Flash on the logo does make some sense. Both the Flash and GL first appeared in comics in 1940, respectively, approximately 70 years ago, and over the years have became prominent characters in the DC Universe. Tack on the fact that DC Entertainment is finishing up post production on their Green Lantern movie starring Ryan Reynolds and that Marc Guggenheim recently turned in the script for The Flash movie, it sort of makes sense that DC left out their most iconic female character off the logo.Or does it? Maybe there was no room for her? 

Kelly over at CBR had a recent discussion with Sue of DCWomenKickingAss where they talked about the different reasons behind the decision to only incorporate DC's prominent male characters on their logo. The discussion began when Sue drew attention to the fact that the iconic image of Wonder Woman was clearly missing from the DC celebratory logo, and proceeded to begin a petition requesting that DC Comics "provide a second logo that includes some of its female heroes to celebrate its anniversary." I can dig it.  

When I saw that Diana was missing from the logo, I thought about it from a marketing perspective. Yes, her current costume in comic books is not the same as the classic leotard non-comics readers are familiar with, but I don't think that's why they left her off the logo- considering it's supposed to be a celebration of 75 years of history and she's only been wearing pants for 2 issues. I can't help but think that it's a corporate thing. DC wants to push characters like GL and Flash onto an unfamiliar market (non-comics readers) because they're in the midst of building franchises with those two characters. I don't necessarily think it's an intentional, "hey, we don't care about the women in comics," but more like, "well, we're just going to leave her off of this."

Yet, 75 years is a long time for any company to exist, and Wonder Woman is a huge part of that history. She paved the way for the integration of female characters in comic books and she empowered young girls to think "yeah, boys can do that and SO CAN I!" In fact, if it weren't for Wonder Woman, I don't think I would be reading comics at all. What do you guys think, though? Does it matter to you that Wonder Woman is missing from the 75th Anniversary logo? What do you think is the reason behind it? 

If you want to sign the petition supporting the request that DC provide a second logo to include some of its female heroes to celebrate this huge milestone, you can do so here
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#1  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

It still looks cool and ill definitly buy it but they could have tthrown in a few notable females like WW and Black Canary
    Avatar image for captaingenisvell
    CaptainGenisVell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CaptainGenisVell

It will be for comercial purposes, maybe they should do a second badge to celebrate the females as well.
    Marvel seem to be doing a good job of that with there female covers atm, so maybe DC should pay attention :)

Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

Probably the marketing standpoint of making GL and Flash more well known names as they have films for the near future. True there's no Wonder Woman, (shrug) maybe they will do a female version

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By johnny_spam

Look up my favorite characters list Wonder Woman is there she is a great character. 

Okay now let me say that it is not that surprising that she was left out as it was said she is not wearing her regular costume but also as a franchise she is not that big a seller she has had a boost since the soft reboot but other then that there is no reason to amp her up since not may would respond to her some argue that even Superman has lost his place as well.  

A petition is not going to build her up it's people buying her book.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Magian

Superman and Batman were included because they are DC's most famous heroes and Flash and Green Lantern because of their movies. Unfortunately WW doesn't have anything big happening with her right now. I would like her to be included.

Avatar image for the_cyan_lantern
    The Cyan Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6  Edited By The Cyan Lantern

Wonder Woman has been consider knocked out of the "The Big Three" and replaced by Hal. No surprise he's up there. But she should at least be picked as #4 over Flash.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By No_Name_
    @CaptainGenisVell said:
    " It will be for comercial purposes, maybe they should do a second badge to celebrate the females as well. Marvel seem to be doing a good job of that with there female covers atm, so maybe DC should pay attention :) "
    If you sign the petition, linked at the bottom of the article, maybe they will
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crusader8463

*Insert Picard facepalm here*

Sigh.... It has anything to do with DC being sexist, it was just because of the design choice of the logo. Wonder Woman doesn't have an iconic symbol like those guy do, so short of drawing in her cleavage it would just look like some generic female silhouette standing there. Flash, Superman, Batman and Green Lantern all have the big chest emblems that anyone who even knows what a comic book is could tell you who it belongs to just by seeing them.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Caligula

not a big deal.
    they used the most recognizable heroes. i don't think there was anything sexist behind it.

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By The Jeff

I can't believe this....matters

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crusader8463
    @The Jeff:  It doesn't. Just a slow news day me thinks.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By No_Name_
    @crusader8463 said:
    " Sigh.... It has anything to do with DC being sexist, it was just because of the design choice of the logo. Wonder Woman doesn't have an iconic symbol like those guy do, so short of drawing in her cleavage it would just look like some generic female silhouette standing there. Flash, Superman, Batman and Green Lanter all have the big chest emblems that anyone who even knows what a comic book is could tell you who it belongs to just by seeing them. "
    I'm pretty sure the Wonder Woman logo on her breastplate is MORE recognizable to the average person than the GL symbol and FLASH combined.
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I cannot imagine why Wonder Woman wasn't included.  I can understand not using Batgirl or Supergirl, because they have Batman and Superman.  But no Wonder Woman?

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @Babs:
    yeah, I don't get why the ladies aren't recieving equal representation here 
    DC usually does a really good job writing strong, amazing female leads 
    hmmm 
    I suppose Black Canary would have made the picture if it was a butt shot
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iLLituracy

This is seriously disappointing.

LassieOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LassieOfDoom
    @The Cyan Lantern said:
    " Wonder Woman has been consider knocked out of the "The Big Three" and replaced by Hal. No surprise he's up there. But she should at least be picked as #4 over Flash. "
    I hope not. Although I'm a huge fan of Green Lantern and I'm not so really a fan of Wonder Woman I wouldn't like to see him replacing her in any way. I mean... come on, it's Wonder Woman. And to the Badge: I, too, would prefer a "female" version of that badge instead of including Wonder Woman to this one. Yeah, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern and Flash are "The Big Four" when it comes to male DC-Heroes. But what about Wonder Woman, one of the biggest three in general and the biggest heroine in DC? Set her up with Black Canaray, Batgirl and... well, to be honest, I don't know who to put 4th, but yeah, make a 2nd badge, DC!
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @LassieOfDoom:
    Hawkgirl, Supergirl, Vixen, it coudl even be Catwoman 
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jordanstine

No Aquaman!? 

elevatorparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By elevatorparty
    @LassieOfDoom: catwoman would be the only 4th i can think of
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crusader8463
    @Babs:  Agree to disagree.
    Nick-SV(ril)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nick-SV(ril)

Even if DC tried to push Hal in the front seat of the big names a while back with those promo photos, its not that fair, cause its the Trinity and probably of the most recognizable characters as well. Since you celebrate the success of those 75 years, it should be(if not mainly) based on the characters that helped on that.

I also noticed that a while back with some 75th anniversary t-shirts. I came across a Superman, Batman (even Alan Scott) , but nothing on WW. 

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for the_cyan_lantern
    The Cyan Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23  Edited By The Cyan Lantern

I admit it wouldn't matter to me to see either WW or GL fill the third slot, but looking at the past 5 years, GL sales kinda deserves that slot. Since WW is getting her reboot, maybe in 5 years the throne will be once hers again (likely not with 2 GL movies coming out though). A second  women's badge would be a great idea with Wonder Women, Black Canary, Catwoman, and Power Girl.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By Amegashita
    @Jordanstine said:
    "
    No Aquaman!?   "
      Blame Family Guy, they ruined his image to the public. 

@johnny spam
    said:
    "A petition is not going to build her up it's people buying her book. "
      QFT. 

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By difficlus

yea i will sign the petition, 75 years is a long time, i think she deserves to be there...

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26  Edited By BradBrains

Wonder woman should have definitely been in there. No doubt.

Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Chibi-Iroh

I just signed and linked it to my facebook so that if my friends want to sign they can to.

Avatar image for bringbackpowerpack
    BringBackPowerPack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with Babs.  The logo needs boobies!

The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The Sadhu

I would have just put up the Big Three... Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman!
    ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ForbushBug

Clark and Bruce launched the Golden Age, Hal and Barry launched the Silver Age. Wonder Woman's significance is her gender and elevating her based on that is tokenism.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Decept-O

Have to agree, Wonder Woman is and has been very much an icon of DC Comics for a very long time.    

Surprised they didn't include her, bit of a shame but if they do another logo with only female characters then I can also dig it.   

.Longshot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By .Longshot.

I can see the marketing standpoint of it, and that its a four character template. But couldn't they just put Wonder Woman in Superman's place, then have Superman flying upward in the middle? I think that'd work fine. You don't have to leave out either of the new franchises like Flash or Green Lantern. :P

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @aztek the lost:
    Hal and Barry may not have been around since the beginning but theyre still two of the most important dc heroes
    CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#34  Edited By CrimsonTempest

I don't think anyone should get their panties in a wad over the fact Diana isn't on the pin. But yeah, if Marvel's doing a good job of highlighting the women of their comics, DC should follow suit as well.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Shadowdoggy:
    but none of those characters except supergirl and catwoman is really known to non comic fans  
    and with superman there supergirl is pretty redundant and most people i know still think catwomans a bad guy

theyre trying to use characters everyone knows

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @CrimsonTempest:
    yeah hal and barry have pretty much always gotten the shaft compared to WW  its a nice little change
    DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DarkSyde79

Wow, definitely an interesting logo. Especially since they call Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman... The Trinity. You would think she'd be on there. Although I understand why Barry (Flash) and Hal (GL) are on there.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Shocking how little respect WW seems to get.

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By MisterMollusk

Wonder Woman don't have no movie deal.

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By WW-Fan

i am so pisse that they dint let Wonder Woman be on that Cover!! i mean She has been around longer then The Flash and Green Lantern (the ones who are on that logo)
    WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WW-Fan
    @crusader8463 said:

"*Insert Picard facepalm here*  Sigh.... It has anything to do with DC being sexist, it was just because of the design choice of the logo. Wonder Woman doesn't have an iconic symbol like those guy do, so short of drawing in her cleavage it would just look like some generic female silhouette standing there. Flash, Superman, Batman and Green Lantern all have the big chest emblems that anyone who even knows what a comic book is could tell you who it belongs to just by seeing them. "

im sure the Wonder Woman logo is more known then the Green Lantern logo speacilly for non comic book readers 

im sure many people can tell who has this logo 

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @WW-Fan said:
    "i am so pisse that they dint let Wonder Woman be on that Cover!! i mean She has been around longer then The Flash and Green Lantern (the ones who are on that logo) "

*pats you on the back sympathetically* 

dont worry im sure they have some special wonder woman stuff that they just havent revealed yet
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By IrishX

That's right someone is missing...... Green Arrow!

xSIZEMATTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xSIZEMATTER

Man you LOVE  Wonder Woman.....

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By johnny_spam

Putting Wonder Woman on a pin is not going to make her popular just because people like something online does not mean the character will be financially lucrative.  

Renee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Renee

It looks incomplete with out her.
    Razeil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By Razeil

I think that if a character has stood the tests of time like wonder woman has, they should be celebrated. Shame on you DC, still glad Aquaman wasn't anywhere to be seen.

xscarletkittie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By xscarletkittie

No Caption Provided

Fixed it for them.
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @IrishX:
    Ollie is cool and important but not as fam ous as the other
    Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Chibi-Iroh
    @WW-Fan:  Um I am sorry to have to tell you this but they are both older than Diana by a year. They came out in 1940 and she came out in 1941 so technically they have been out longer.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.