Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Biggest improvement/deterioration in the New 52?

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What series/character/creative team do you think has had the biggest improvement since the start of the New 52?

What about the biggest drop in quality?

Also, most consistently good series?

BadBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BadBat

Batman and Aquaman for most consistently good series. Batman and Robin for biggest improvement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most consistently good? Batman.

Most improvement? Aquaman.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

I haven't read the current volume of Teen Titans, but unless they retconned Lobdell's work, Tim Drake had been ruined. He used to be my favorite character. Now I want to vomit when I think of him.

As far as most improved, I don't see anything. There are certainly nice series that have come from the New 52, but I don't see how any of these were really spawned from the reboot. I can think of not one single change through the New 52 that could not have been better served without the reboot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Black Canary, Birds of Prey, Arsenal and Teen Titans droped in quality

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

@vitalius:

I actually like Roy in the New 52 though I also enjoyed his pre-52 version. No argument on the others though. Black Canary was painfully stupid in the New 52.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@batwatch:

He has strong points but lot of weak points and he isnt almost nothing like PreFlashpoint counterpart. She doesnt have luck with the writers, until issue 13 i tolerate her because she was kind new and she thought that she killed her husband but then it was mess. And only improvement was her costume (No heels and suit that protect all her body) and no Green Arrow.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Strange, the first Aquaman story arc (The Trench) was actually my favourite, although so far I haven't read anything after Throne of Atlantis.

PotatoBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PotatoBaron
    kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch: Funny. I have noticed that many of the great stories the New 52 has offered would not have been possible to tell if they had not rebooted, in that they have conflicting history with the established history of the former DCU. These include such runs as Azzarrello's Wonder Woman, Lemire's Green Arrow, basically everything that's been done with Aquaman, Batman Eternal, Green Lantern: Uprising, and actually, anything involving New Gods as well. Still I do wish the reboot had never happened because despite the fact that we've gotten some good stories, I still believe it would have still been possible to tell stories of equal quality with the previous established continuity.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By youknowwhattodo

Biggest Improvement (since new 52 started): Catwoman went from being the worst series in the new 52 to being one of the best.

Biggest Drop in Quality (since new 52 started): Batwoman went from being one of the best and certainly most underrated series in the new 52 to being worthless trash.

Most Consistently Good (since new 52 started): Batman, while it's debatable as to whether or not this is the best series of the new 52, it's hard to argue against it being the most consistent. Of course a lot of that has to do with the series sticking with the same creative team throughout.

Glarinetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New superfamily. (Superman, Superboy and Supergirl)

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Improvement: Aquaman, Supergirl

Deterioration: Wonder Woman, Teen Titans, Huntress, Batgirl, Powergirl, ecc ecc ecc ecc ecc ecc ecc ecc ecc ecc ecc ecc ecc

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Biggest Improvement--Aquaman and Green Arrow (when Lemire joined)

Biggest Drop--Teen Titans and Green Arrow (after Lemire left)

Most Consistent--Batman

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Mrnoital
    @lamdaddy20 said:

Biggest Improvement--Green Arrow (when Lemire joined)

Biggest Drop--Green Arrow (after Lemire left)

from the series I have read, I can agree with that, but looking at what the new creative team has been saying on twitter, I'm thinking it might be one of the biggest improvements again

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By lamdaddy20

@mrnoital: Really? That's great news. I dropped GA after 2 issues with the current creative team, and i'm more than willing to pick it back up if there's a new team.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People always put down Kreisberg and Sokolowski's current run on Green Arrow, but it's actually been rather good. The first issue was kind of a drag, but it just went uphill from there. I'll honestly miss them when Ben Percy takes over, but I'll give him a chance to do well too. I really don't think the criticism of Kreisberg and Sokolowski comes from reaction to what they have actually written, but from all the rumors about how Lemire was kicked off the book to shoehorn in the CW show's writers, and about how they were making it a clone of the TV show. Neither of these are true, but these rumors obviously hurt public opinion, as DC is already trying something else.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Mrnoital

@lamdaddy20: yeah, one of the only things about the current run that really works(for me) is the new villain is based off a Robin Hood villain, so that's good in my mind, but the overall quality of the comics aren't the greatest

the new team starts after Convergence (with a different team during convergence)

@kilowog52: for me it's not that, but just reading, it feels really mediocre, I've kept getting it, but pretty much only cause they're good at cliffhangers, I've been a little annoyed by people saying it's more like arrow, when I ask them how, they never reply, but I feel like the overall quality went from a great book, to an okay book once they took over

barryallen23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most Consistent: Aquaman

Most Improved: New Suicide Squad

Biggest Drop in Quality: The Flash since Vendiiti & Van Jensen joined

MechanicalMudd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think everyone agrees that Aquaman is the biggest improvement in the new52

Other than that I'd say:

• Wonder Woman
    • The magic side of DC with the JL Dark
    • Cyborg
    • Bringing Jonah Hex into more hands (not that it wasn't great before)
    • Making the Red Lanterns more than just GL Villains
    • Catwoman (current story, rough before that)

The ones new52 hurt would probably be:

• Hawkman
    • Flash (although Wally is my flash so I might just be bias)
    • Batgirl (eliminating the history of all the batgirls)
    • Static/Hawk & Dove/ever other young justice title
    • Booster Gold
    • Legion of Super heroes
    • The Question (Why is there a question & vic sage??????????)

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed that a lot of people said Aquaman was the biggest improvement in the New 52; does that mean that New 52 Aquaman is much better than pre-52 Aquaman, or Aquaman has improved since the first New 52 issues?

I ask because for me at least, the first Aquaman arc was the best I've read so far (although granted I'm nowhere near up to date)

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I noticed that a lot of people said Aquaman was the biggest improvement in the New 52; does that mean that New 52 Aquaman is much better than pre-52 Aquaman, or Aquaman has improved since the first New 52 issues?

I ask because for me at least, the first Aquaman arc was the best I've read so far (although granted I'm nowhere near up to date)

It does seem as though those people have misread your question and interpreted it as you asking which character had the biggest improvement between continuities.

While someone could say that Parker's Aquaman run is better than John's Aquaman run, there's no way it would be by enough of a margin to become the most improved series in the new 52 after the switch.

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@minisaladfresh said:

It does seem as though those people have misread your question and interpreted it as you asking which character had the biggest improvement between continuities.

While someone could say that Parker's Aquaman run is better than John's Aquaman run, there's no way it would be by enough of a margin to become the most improved series in the new 52 after the switch.

This

Also people say Aquaman because before the New 52 his last series was the one that started in 2003 and in issue 40 it turned to Sword of Atlantis with a different Aquaman.

So Aquaman didn't have his own series for many years before the New 52 and was technically dead up until Brightest Day.

So even though his comic appearances where good for the most part (Brightest Day Aquaman is basically New 52 Aquaman) the improvement comes from the fact that he went from nearly falling out from the spotlight of the DCU to one of the pillars of the New 52.

It's not so much about quality as it is about 1) exposure, 2) consistency and 3) re-integration to the main events of the DCU.

And of course even though Parker's run has been amazing (top 3 all time for Aquaman) still Johns is considered the best IMO (with good reason).

Supermang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@comicfan11: Very glad to hear that Parker's Aquaman is good after John's left. I'm trade waiting so I haven't got to his run yet.

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermang: Oh yeah for sure.

I still consider Throne of Atlantis to be the best Aquaman story ever (very easy choice), but the current Parker arc Maelstrom will certainly be top 3-5 when it's over this month.

It's pure adventure fun with some great twists and some insights in Atlantean politics and culture.

Supermang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicfan11: Hey have you read Aquaman and The Others by Dan Jurgens I'm on the fence if I want to buy the trade or not?

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's ok but certainly not as good as the main series.

The focus is on the Others with Aquaman playing the role of field leader but mainly on the personal bits of the Others (like Vostok's part, The Operative and his Nephew etc).

The first arc i about the Atlantean artifacts.

The second about Vostok X and a former Soviet mercenary squad.

I'd say buy for completion reasons or if you really like the Others.

Supermang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman1130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aquaman has improved quite a bit

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.