Best and Worst of the DC New 52 (IMO)

• 71 results
#1 Posted by photowill404 (105 posts) - - Show Bio

The Worst Comic out the titles that I have been reading out of the new 52 is Superman. Not worst in the fact that it is overall bad, however I feel very disappointed with the book. it feels like there is no central focus on it. the first story arc with the superpowers fight him was ok at best. from that point nothing really stood out to me, with maybe the exception of the appearance of Hellspont, but even their fight seemed dull. I mean come on Hellspont at one time was the major villian of the Wildcats and he and Superman produce such as bland uneventful fight. What I do like about Superman though is Clark Kent. He is written very well and I like reading about his reactions to how others see Superman and especially his interactions with Lois Lane.

Now onto to the Best Comic I'm reading in the New 52:

Batman!!!!!!

I waited for about 10 issues to come out before I began reading Batman, and I must say that when I read the first issue I was like what was I thinking. I should have been reading this from day 1. I love how the story just unfolds very subtly and then picks up a great deal as the book moves forward. The history of Gotham is also an excellent plot point which grabs the reader and gives them a greater understanding of the motivations of the antagonists in book so far. We see Bruce Wayne begin to question his sanity and how his claim that Gotham is his city. As the series progresses Batman and Bruce Wayne go through what I would call a moment of clarity regarding their mission for Gotham city. Another great part about the series is Alfred, I love how he is always there to be somewhat of Batman's moral compass much like how Batman has to be Damien's. Overall the book is awesome, well written, superbly drawn, and a very good read.

#2 Posted by tylerlugowski (118 posts) - - Show Bio

@photowill404: I totally agree. Have you read any other of the Batman comics? like the Batman and and Robin or The Detective Comics? Those are really good as well. The new 52 has been promising so far.

#3 Posted by bennyq (405 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been disappointed with Green Arrow lately. Art has been a bit sloppy and the story not the best

#4 Posted by sinestro_GL (3030 posts) - - Show Bio

@bennyq said:

I've been disappointed with Green Arrow lately. Art has been a bit sloppy and the story not the best

Then you should pick up 'The Flash' - in my humble opinion, the art has been consistently great from issue 1

#5 Posted by sohanlon07 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman really has been disappointing. Supergirl started off well but all this Banshee crap is destroying it for me. Action Comics at least has something going for it. Batman on the other hand has been fantastic. I can't get enough of it. Picking up old TPBs to help with my Bat-ddiction. New 52 got me back into comics having not read them in years and Batman has shown how fantastic the writing can be. I also love the variation in art across the Batman titles.

#6 Posted by The Stegman (22779 posts) - - Show Bio

Best-Batman 

Worst- Green Arrow...such a flippin' disappointment.

#7 Posted by Lvenger (17906 posts) - - Show Bio

Best - Batman/Action Comics

Worst - Red Hood and the Outlaws

#8 Posted by timelord786 (164 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman has been the best for me as i love how Batman thought he knew his city and even we thought he knew it but both of us were wrong.

The worst has to be for me between Superman and Green arrow. I read the the first two issues of superman and just could not will my self to go on. I have stuck with Green arrow as he is one of my favorite characters but have been disappointed by the stories currently.

#9 Posted by SupBatz (1673 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman and Batman have been pretty great consistantly.

The Savage Hawkman, The Dark Knight (pre-writer change), and Green Arrow have been disappointing.

#10 Posted by TDK_1997 (14451 posts) - - Show Bio

Best:Animal Man,Batman.

Worst:Green Arrow,Superman.

#11 Posted by derf_jenkins (353 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Aquaman, All-Star Western have all been pleasing to me.

#12 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (5872 posts) - - Show Bio

BEST- Batman, Animal-Man, and All-star western
WORST- Superman, Green Arrow, Savage Hawkman

#13 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

BEST-swamp thing,Animal man,batman,action comics

WORST-superman

#14 Posted by photowill404 (105 posts) - - Show Bio

@tylerlugowski:

yes i have been reading batman and robin, detective comics, and Nightwing. haven't gotten around to the other bat titles yet.

#15 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

Whoa, you don't like RHATO?

I'm not sure we can be friends anymore

#16 Edited by The_Tree (7078 posts) - - Show Bio

Best:

Action Comics, Animal Man, Batwing, Dial H, Earth 2, Stormwatch, Batman and Robin, Batman, Swamp Thing, OMAC, Green Lantern Corps, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Batwoman, Green Lantern, Nightwing, All-Star Western, Batman Inc., I Vampire, Justice League Dark, The Flash, Aquaman, Justice League, Wonder Woman.

Worst:

Green Arrow, Batgirl, Detective Comics, Red Lanterns, G.I. Combat, Worlds' Finest, Deathstroke, Resurrection Man, Captain Atom, Ravagers, Superboy, Teen Titans, Catwoman, Superman, Fury of Firestorm, Savage Hawkman, Justice League International, Static Shock, Mr. Terrific, Hawk and Dove, Blackhawks, Legion of Superheroes, Suicide Squad

#17 Posted by VenomousDragon (843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

Wat? how many of them have you even read?

#18 Posted by Lvenger (17906 posts) - - Show Bio

@Imagine_Man15: Awwww :( I take it you're an Outlaws fan? Sorry but it's just a difference of taste. I haven't liked any of Lobdell's New 52 work, especially this and Teen Titans. I'm sort of a Wolfman purist and the changes Lobdell has made to the original history aren't good in my eyes.

@VenomousDragon: As I said above, Wolfman purist. Starfire's origin and unique personality Wolfman gave her have been quashed in the New 52. Her relationship with Dick Grayson, her stance on sleeping around and dressing even more provocatively than she did pre reboot are just some of the reasons why I'm not a fan of Lobdell.

#19 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Yeah, I'm an Outlaws fan, but I completely agree with you about Teen Titans. TT was one of my biggest disappointments out of the New 52. I'm pretty much indifferent to Superboy, so Lobdell is 50/50 for me so far.

I was on the fence with Starfire's portrayal at first, but it's gotten better as he's expanded on her character more.

#20 Posted by bennyq (405 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm loving Red Hood. Not sure how it'll go now they're taking it into space - I really liked the stories about the Untitled. The art and in particular the page layouts are so fresh and really do look amazing.

Also loving Dial H. So weird!

#21 Posted by sinestro_GL (3030 posts) - - Show Bio

@bennyq: I see. Well, I'm a big Barry fan myself...so I guess you can see one of the reasons why I'm loving the title :P

#22 Edited by Moon_Bat_87 (719 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I personally dont like that Wildstorm Universe has been taken from Multiverse status and made into official New 52 status.

But I am loving the new Batman stuff.

#23 Posted by Catsnlynne (982 posts) - - Show Bio
@bennyq said:

I know some people don't like the new Green Arrow because they prefer when Ollie had his beard and was older. But I'm loving this new Green Arrow and I think the stories are really good. People who haven't tried it should give it a chance.
#24 Posted by Catsnlynne (982 posts) - - Show Bio
@sinestro_GL said:

@bennyq: I see. Well, I'm a big Barry fan myself...so I guess you can see one of the reasons why I'm loving the title :P

I'm a Barry Allen fan too. I think he has the best bad guys. Love the Rouges.
#25 Posted by bennyq (405 posts) - - Show Bio

@Moon_Bat_87: is the whole wild storm universe now in the DCnU? Planetary doesn't really fit with the DCU, they did that one shot with the JLA but I'm pretty sure it was non canon.

#26 Posted by bennyq (405 posts) - - Show Bio

@Catsnlynne: Youve got me all wrong, I like that they've made him younger and I could take or leave the beard ( although I wouldn't be surprised if he grows it back sooner or later). I just think the new stories have been so so and the art pretty bad. Hopefully his #0 will be good though!

#27 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17164 posts) - - Show Bio

there is almost nothing good about The new 52 , only batman is decent

#28 Posted by Squalleon (4059 posts) - - Show Bio

worst- Green Arrow

#29 Posted by Cap10nate (2122 posts) - - Show Bio

Best - Swamp Thing and Animal Man

Worst - Green Arrow Deathstroke and Hawkman

#30 Posted by Blitzkrieg_Flash (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Best- Definetly between Flash (absolute favorite), Justice League (although art style shifts), Teen Titans, and Birds of Prey.

Worst- Hands down in Batgirl, Superman, and OMAC.

#31 Posted by SmashBrawler (5437 posts) - - Show Bio

Best: Animal Man.

Worst: Green Arrow.

#32 Posted by SUNMAN (7139 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

#33 Posted by Lvenger (17906 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN: I think Suicide Squad or Deathstroke might be worse than RHATO now. Still Lobdell's not in my good books as a writer by any means.

#34 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Best - Batman / Flash / JLD

Worst - Red Hood & the Outlaws

#35 Posted by Lord Shiva (794 posts) - - Show Bio

i guess its a good thing im not reading green arrow

#36 Posted by Deathstroke24 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Why so much hate for green arrow? I think it's pretty good. (Granted I only started reading comics since new 52) I personally prefer:

justice league, justice league dark (constatine is awesome!), aquaman, omac, deathstroke, demon knights, blue beetle, action comics, superman (both have turned me from a hater to supes becoming one of my favs), Frankenstein agent of shade, resurrection man, swamp thing, earth 2 and hawkman

The worst I've read so far is hawk and dove and captain atom (which sucks cuz he's so badass)

I think the main thing is DC is putting out allot more good exciting stories than mediocre or crappy stories lol

#37 Edited by batmannflash (6171 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathstroke24: Green Arrow was terrible before Jeff Lemire took over as the writer (issue 17 to present). Now it's amazing

#38 Posted by IamTheLaw85 (68 posts) - - Show Bio

Best Wonder Woman/Aquaman

Horrible: new 52 Deathstroke.

I miss the old terminator

#39 Edited by Denam_Pavel (147 posts) - - Show Bio

Best: Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman

Worst: Teen Titans

#40 Edited by darknightspideyfanboy (1178 posts) - - Show Bio

Best: Scott Snyder,Jeff Lemire,Aquaman,Wonder woman,Flash,animal man,swamp thing

Worst: Scott lobdell

#42 Edited by comicbookfan93 (392 posts) - - Show Bio

@darknightspideyfanboy: Best: Scott Snyder,Jeff Lemire,Aquaman,Wonder woman,Flash,animal man,swamp thing

Worst: Scott lobdell

THIS

#43 Posted by Black_Claw (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

Best: Aquaman, Batman, Superman Unchained, Justice League of America, Green Lantern Corps, Wonder Woman

Worst: The Dark Knight (I'm willing to bet that the only reason this POS is selling so well is because it shares the same title as the movie), Teen Titans, Superman

#44 Posted by sinestro_GL (3030 posts) - - Show Bio

What's up with all these old threads being brought back to life lately?

#45 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Best for me is Animal Man, Aquaman, Nightwing and Superman Unchained.

Worst is anything written by Scott Lobdell. The Guy's work is nothing short of crud IMO.

#46 Posted by AnimeLoverHasan (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I know really less about the Pre-New 52 because I just started collecting DC comics.

So a/q to me

The Best: Batman(of course), The Flash(really love Barry Allen), Earth 2(I prefer this series over JL) and Justice League Dark(just love those Constantine one-liners).

The Worst: I don't really care :p

#47 Posted by Deathstroke52 (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Best: Aquaman

Worst: The Dark Knight

#48 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1167 posts) - - Show Bio

Best: The Flash, Nightwing, Batman

Worst: Teen Titans (hopefully that'll change soon), Catwoman, and Superman (which will also hopefully change soon).

#49 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

Best: Supergirl and Suicide Squad

Worst: Worlds Finest and Wonder Woman

#50 Posted by youknowwhattodo (873 posts) - - Show Bio

Best: Aquaman

Worst: Anything written by Scott Lodbell and Ann Noncenti, they are like the OTP of bad writing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.