BATWOMAN And SECRET SIX Both Nominated For GLAAD Awards

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics aren't "just for kids." To some, comic books are not only beautiful pieces of art; they are also a conversation on current events. They speak to the state of our culture and society, and they sometimes break barriers. And while it is great that comics can contribute to that social discussion, it is even better when they are recognized for doing so.

Recently GLAAD announced that two DC comic books -- BATWOMAN and SECRET SIX -- have been nominated for the 23rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards. GLAAD is the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation organization. Each year they host an award ceremony celebrating good representations of the LGBT community in literature and media. The two DC titles feature prominent Gay and Lesbian characters and reinforce the idea that these types of characters can be well represented in comic books. Congratulations to J.H. Williams III, W. Haden Blackman and Gail Simone.

Source: DC Source

#1 Posted by CEO_OF_FRESH (225 posts) - - Show Bio

That's awesome. That secret six award is kind of suprising, but well deserved

#2 Posted by charlieboy (7153 posts) - - Show Bio

that's awesome!!!

#3 Posted by Mercy_ (92502 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOMSAUCE! It's well deserved.

Moderator Online
#4 Posted by maikkywin (100 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes .

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

#5 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwoman is great.

#6 Posted by villager2502 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally Love it they deserve the honors!! GO TeamGAIL

#7 Posted by NightFang (9866 posts) - - Show Bio

Great!

#8 Posted by moonsault86 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Gail is the best!

#9 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally unrelated: why the hell does GLAAD have awards

#10 Posted by GamerGeek360 (251 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwoman is not only a great story focusing on a lesbian hero, it's an amazing piece of art! It's hands-down the best-looking of the New 52 and possibly of all of comics right now. Congrats to everyone involved with both series!

#11 Posted by Aeroman (495 posts) - - Show Bio

congrats

#12 Posted by hulkmakedoodoo (15 posts) - - Show Bio

HULK NO UNDERSTAND!!? PEOPLE GET COMMENDATION FOR SEXUAL PREFERENCE?

#13 Posted by MatKrenz (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I like Batwoman and understand why Secret Six is chosen my vote for the GLAAD award this year is last years winner X-Factor. But seeing as how Sara doesn't X-Factor she wouldn't understand.

#14 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Great news!

#15 Posted by TheWitchingHour (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfortunately I haven't read nearly as much Secret Six as I should have. But by all means I'm thankful it's being recognized and I am ecstatic that Batwoman is being awarded as well. Batwoman Elegy and subsequent Batwoman arcs don't just deserve awards and accolades in the LGBT community, they deserve awards and accolades in the comic book community as well.

#16 Posted by VioletPhoenix (294 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell Yes! Worthy much like Young Avengers years ago winning the GLAAD award

#17 Edited by CombatSpoon86 (831 posts) - - Show Bio

Well deserved. Both titles have been my favorite for the last 2 yrs. Simone, JH, and Haden Congrats.

#18 Posted by fables87 (940 posts) - - Show Bio

@GamerGeek360: I agree with you all the way! Batwoman has the best artwork out of any of the comics in the 52. The guy really knows how to fill a page leaving really no white space. It's a shame we haven't seen Batwoman in anything but comic books. You'd think the movies would add her at some point.

#19 Posted by TylerRubner (13 posts) - - Show Bio

they completely deserve it

#20 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

::Claps and claps:: That is wonderful! Very well deserved IMHO.

#21 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

who is gay or lesbian on secret six??

#22 Posted by entropy_aegis (14219 posts) - - Show Bio

@elayem98 said:

who is gay or lesbian on secret six??

Knockout and Scandal Savage.

DC cancelled SS and gave up crap like Batman:The Dark Knight and Justice League.

#23 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just re-reading Batwoman: Elegy the other night!! Love the book!!!

#24 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

"GLAAD is the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation organization."

Okey *confused face*...What they have in common with the "GLAAD"? Somebody is gay/ lesbian there or why?

#25 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

lmao! seriously?,,,,,,,,,wth was their competition, Archie?

#26 Posted by Whisper_ (3459 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedOwl_1 said:

"GLAAD is the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation organization."

Okey *confused face*...What they have in common with the "GLAAD"? Somebody is gay/ lesbian there or why?

Batwoman (Kate Kane) is a lesbian.

Scandal Savage, Knockout and Liana are all lesbians. Gail Simone has an incredible track record with LGBT characters.

Both books did/do an excellent job in portraying said characters.

#27 Posted by AnthonyPalomo (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Batwoman. Congrats.

#28 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (519 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone in Secret Six is gay? o.O

#29 Posted by longas91 (66 posts) - - Show Bio

so did the Young Avengers, and X-Factor! :D

#30 Posted by kamionero (312 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering how DISGUSTINGLY good Secret Six was, I say give them every award ever conceived!!!

Now I need to get my hands on some Batwoman and do me some readin'

#31 Posted by BatClaw89 (144 posts) - - Show Bio

I,m gay for those comics ...oh wait I mean happy lol

#32 Posted by Om1kron (1170 posts) - - Show Bio
@kamionero said:

Considering how DISGUSTINGLY good Secret Six was, I say give them every award ever conceived!!!

Now I need to get my hands on some Batwoman and do me some readin'

BATWOMAN IS AMAZING!!!
#33 Posted by Orttodrog (168 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

AWESOMSAUCE! It's well deserved.

#34 Posted by Saren (25274 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwoman is the best book of the new 52. Snyder, eat your heart out.

SS was great too. Should never have been cancelled.

#35 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

what the hell is GLAAD??

#36 Posted by Mercy_ (92502 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

what the hell is GLAAD??

Did you read the article? Cause it says it right in there and it's not an overly long article.

Moderator Online
#37 Posted by Mercy_ (92502 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr. Kamikaze said:

Three people.

Moderator Online
#38 Posted by CookieVonDoom (32 posts) - - Show Bio

This is great news!

I recently had to cancel most of my subscriptions, the one comic book from DC I would/could not let go of was Batwoman (still cannot). Well, I am still kind of sad of letting go of GL and The Flash but nevermind those now, go Kate!

#39 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

Both are quality as far as the craft itself is concerned to begin with, and the characters are definitely candidates for strong representations of there lifestyle easy.

@hulkmakedoodoo said:

Because whats more common is that people are degraded, made fun, and displayed in ridicule for their sexual preference if it isn't heterosexual male, as sadly gay bashing comments and threads not only on this site, but in this very thread can tell you for fact, so when the more rare depiction of an LGBT person shown in a fair yet natural light is displayed it receives praise from it's peers who themselves have long battled for respect and understanding, much the same as have centuries worth of people for being women, for their ethnicity, the shape of their physique, their hobby (reading comic books for a real good example), their metal facilities, the job, ect. A torch is lit, thus the whole heart beats once more and it is heard.

#40 Posted by hulkmakedoodoo (15 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE said:

Both are quality as far as the craft itself is concerned to begin with, and the characters are definitely candidates for strong representations of there lifestyle easy.

@hulkmakedoodoo said:

Because whats more common is that people are degraded, made fun, and displayed in ridicule for their sexual preference if it isn't heterosexual male, as sadly gay bashing comments and threads not only on this site, but in this very thread can tell you for fact, so when the more rare depiction of an LGBT person shown in a fair yet natural light is displayed it receives praise from it's peers who themselves have long battled for respect and understanding, much the same as have centuries worth of people for being women, for their ethnicity, the shape of their physique, their hobby (reading comic books for a real good example), their metal facilities, the job, ect. A torch is lit, thus the whole heart beats once more and it is heard.

THIS LONG READ!!! HULK PRINT AND READ WHILE MAKING DOODOO!!!

#41 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

This was something expected :P

#42 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (519 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

@Mr. Kamikaze said:

Three people.

Oooooh! Secret Six...as in pre-New 52. I was thinking Suicide Squad...okay, it all makes sense now. Carry on.

#43 Posted by KidSupreme (824 posts) - - Show Bio

Congrats!

#44 Posted by The Impersonator (4998 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad that Batwoman and Secret Six have been nominated by GLAAD.

#45 Posted by Billy Batson (57753 posts) - - Show Bio

All right then.
BB

#46 Posted by Gordo789 (201 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE said:

@hulkmakedoodoo said:

This +100%. Very well said.

Congratulations to both of these books. I'm absolutely in love with Batwoman.

#47 Posted by BoOMbOoMpOw (1711 posts) - - Show Bio

Really cool ! I hope Batwoman wins it !!!!! and who is gay from the secret six ?

#48 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE said:

@hulkmakedoodoo said:

Well done.

#49 Posted by kennybaese (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

Secret Six!! I still miss that book. So much.

#50 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Impersonator said:

I'm glad that Batwoman and Secret Six have been nominated by GLAAD.

I see what you did there....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.