Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Are people are too nostalgic when it comes to DC characters?

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By LyraFay

Now I'm a big DC fan but it often feels like when DC makes a interesting move: Man of Steel and the announcement of Wonder Woman in the Batman/Superman movie, they are magnified with criticism by fans of their comics and their other media. It's almost people don't want these characters to be reinvented (which had to happen to Superman in Man of Steel).

So is nostalgia is holding some of you guys back or do you accept the change?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Yes, nostalgia plays a huge part for a lot of people, but its not just DC.

For example? People crying about Peter's skateboard despite it having about 2 minutes of screen time.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

For example? People crying about Peter's skateboard despite it having about 2 minutes of screen time.

I'll never understand this complaint about TASM......

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

That's what happens with comic characters in general, anytime a character changes regardless of whether it is on the big screen or in the comic book, people are going to freak out. I always try and accept the challenge (but there's no way I can be 100% impartial to changes, especially if the change occurs to a favorite character), after all, we always complain about character stagnation.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@fallschirmjager said:

I'll never understand this complaint about TASM......

I never knew about this complaint about TASM......

That's what happens with comic characters in general, anytime a character changes regardless of whether it is on the big screen or in the comic book, people are going to freak out. I always try and accept the challenge (but there's no way I can be 100% impartial to changes, especially if the change occurs to a favorite character), after all, we always complain about character stagnation.

Exactly this.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: I've seen people call TASM Peter a "hipster" because he used a skateboard for a few seconds. Just a ridiculous complaint overall.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

New 52 sucks

/Thread

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: I've seen people call TASM Peter a "hipster" because he used a skateboard for a few seconds. Just a ridiculous complaint overall.

I heard the complaint about him being Emo and wearing hoodies but I never heard anything about this one.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

A lot of comicbook fans are just too bitchy when it comes to comicbook movies.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By PapiNacho

People are too nostalgic with all characters, it's what happens when you get attached to them. However, yes DC has received some unjustified hate do to the reboot.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh said:

Found this, its maybe a li'l bit off topic

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@rustyroy said:

@madeinbangladesh said:

Found this, its maybe a li'l bit off topic

No Caption Provided

thats epic

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By spinningbirdcake

It is a problem with both big publishers but I always feel like the DC characters are subjected more to nostalgia for whatever reason.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not just DC, look at Iron Man 3 and the uproar it got because of the Mandarin, or The Walking Dead show vs comic. People have trouble viewing the thing in question on it's own merits without comparing it to other things. I am not without fault when it comes to this either.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting question.

Did you mean the most recent changes causing problems or any change that has ever taken place? I do not remember an uproar about Batman having yellow oval over the black bat emblem on his chest or people vocally outraged over post Crisis Superman being the sole survivor of Krypton or Wonder Woman flying instead of flying a plane. Some of the same people who are currently being criticized for nostalgia holding them back from accepting change have accepted many years of change and retcons.

Perhaps it is just this particular recent retcon that is more the issue. And a better question would be why did the previous retcons seem to have more acceptance.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are too nostalgic with all characters, it's what happens when you get attached to them. However, yes DC has received some unjustified hate do to the reboot.

What these guys said.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Nostalgia definitely plays a role, to some extent. Especially when people write something off without giving it a chance, as a result. Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship is a good example. A lot of people scorned it before giving it a chance (myself included) due, mostly, to nostalgic feelings about the characters. Now that I've given it a chance, it's not so bad.

Then you look at the flip side of the coin: fans being nostalgic with good reason. If a chance is in poor taste and fans reject it even after giving the change its fair chance, I'd say that the line should be drawn there. Lest people would cry that every change is okay and should be made, regardless of whether this new iteration of a character is better or worse than previous ones.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

@sinisteri: Batman's yellow oval was probably excepted only because the reason for Bats getting the yellow oval was due to a reboot in the Batman series of comics due to declining sales that almost got both "Batman" and "Detective Comics" cancelled. If it was for Julius Schwartz taking over the Batman books and Carmine Infantino leaving Flash and Adam Strange for the art (he added the yellow oval) the books would not have only been cancelled, but would still be placing the Dynamic Duo in more science fiction tales than detective tales. Something that Batman is not about.

I am sure there was some outcry over the Superman change due to Superman losing his ties with the Legion of Superheroes and all of his Superboy stories, but the complaints probably weren't as noticeable due to the Internet not existing when the change was happened. I don't think Wonder Woman got to many complaints because many probably thought the invisible jet was a stupid idea. I am sure though there were many complaints due to Wonder Woman's history getting messed up and her no longer being a founding member of the Justice League or how the post-Crisis messed with Donna Troy's history.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might have a little bit of Nostalgia but most of the time its about critism and comparaisons.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, most of them seem to be...and I cannot stand it.

So many people hate the idea of Superman losing his red underwear...which is absolutely, beyond, absurd.

People never wanting Wonder Woman to wear pants.

It just doesn't make sense to me...and I think these people are the ones truly holding the character back.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.