Are DC and CN drifting appart?

#1 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

I think everyone can agree that there is a huge disappointment going on about Cartoon Network and is something that has been going on for years but more so now after the sudden news that CN was not going to renew the shows of Green Lantern and Young Justice, shows which were plagued with delays and problems.

And now just today i saw this news: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/idw-teams-with-cartoon-network.html

Cartoon Network will produce new comics basing of CN shows like Samurai Jack Powerpuff girls, etc, but It will be produce by IDW, not DC

now this is not the first time something like this has happen, the Adventure Time comics are not produced by DC but Kaboom, however DC had produced CN comics before in the form of the Cartoon Network Action Pack and other versions

So what is happening?

thought at the moment CN will produce 2 new shows for DC in Beware the Batman and a new Teen Titans show as well as keeping the DC Nation going on, it seems like they are drifting apart.

#2 Edited by StrangeMan (407 posts) - - Show Bio

The relationship of DC and CN has been odd over the last few years, the whole creation of DC Nation itself is rather strange, being that it didn't particularly seem like it was made to make more money, but to expand their brand and make it more valuable, and if that was the purpose of the whole thing (pure speculations, mainly because they don't ever seem to give straight awnsers about anything really), putting the block in a Saturday Morning slot on The CW would've made more sense, even more so considering that The CW doesn't really seem to care that much about that time slot, or heck, maybe they could've treated the shows like The Simpsons or Family Guy and put them in a PrimeTime slot. What I think that happened is that basically DC has some sort of obligation for animated programs based on their properties to be aired in CN, but it's not really certain. What is certain is that CN was never that happy with DC Nation to begin with, many speculate that the hiatuses were caused by CN trying to get DC Nation out of the network, but who knows. But we can't really blame CN for all of this, being that many believe that they have to pay pretty big licensing fees for the series (caused by the whole structure of Time Warner and how they treat each subsidiary as their own company, that and more mumbo jumbo concerning business and legal issues and other stuff that I barely know about).

But one thing's for sure, DC and CN aren't drifting apart, because they can't drift apart, as long as both of them remain owned by Time Warner.

#3 Posted by mk111 (3139 posts) - - Show Bio

CN are jerks.

#4 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@StrangeMan said:

The relationship of DC and CN has been odd over the last few years, the whole creation of DC Nation itself is rather strange, being that it didn't particularly seem like it was made to make more money, but to expand their brand and make it more valuable, and if that was the purpose of the whole thing (pure speculations, mainly because they don't ever seem to give straight awnsers about anything really), putting the block in a Saturday Morning slot on The CW would've made more sense, even more so considering that The CW doesn't really seem to care that much about that time slot, or heck, maybe they could've treated the shows like The Simpsons or Family Guy and put them in a PrimeTime slot. What I think that happened is that basically DC has some sort of obligation for animated programs based on their properties to be aired in CN, but it's not really certain. What is certain is that CN was never that happy with DC Nation to begin with, many speculate that the hiatuses were caused by CN trying to get DC Nation out of the network, but who knows. But we can't really blame CN for all of this, being that many believe that they have to pay pretty big licensing fees for the series (caused by the whole structure of Time Warner and how they treat each subsidiary as their own company, that and more mumbo jumbo concerning business and legal issues and other stuff that I barely know about).

But one thing's for sure, DC and CN aren't drifting apart, because they can't drift apart, as long as both of them remain owned by Time Warner.

but if we are now seeing CN comics being published by non-DC publishers then it is not unlikely that we can see DC shows in other channels isnt it?

#5 Posted by StrangeMan (407 posts) - - Show Bio

@arnoldoaad said:

@StrangeMan said:

but if we are now seeing CN comics being published by non-DC publishers then it is not unlikely that we can see DC shows in other channels isnt it?

The possibility of a DC cartoon on a channel that wasn't CN has always been present, the fact that IDW and Kaboom are making CN Comics does't change anything really because Time Warner will always pair the DC cartoons with CN, at least for now.

There are chances that in the (probably distant) future we'll see DC animated programs for The CW or other Time Warner owned channels, there's always been, I just wouldn't hold my breath.

#6 Edited by SUNMAN (7139 posts) - - Show Bio

Warner owns DC and CN so I don't really get the quesiton

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.