2 years on, I'm thankful to the new 52 because...

• 79 results
#1 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, share your reasons below...

#2 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17260 posts) - - Show Bio

....for taking a sh*t on the DC universe, No really, i am SOOOO happy.

#3 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

.....Aquaman finally has a solid solo series save for the Peter David one

And...yeah, that's it.

#4 Posted by Pokeysteve (8025 posts) - - Show Bio

Acidskull summed up my thoughts nicely.

I agree with Veshark too.

Agrees all around.

#5 Posted by JetiiMitra (8175 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though it wasn't difficult before, it's much easier for a new reader to get into the DCU's history. I also like the new takes on old characters. Come at me.

#6 Edited by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman's book, Nightwing red logo instead of blue, Martian Manhunter is leading his own team, interesting to see Steve Trevor in such big roles, love Poison Ivy's redesign, love Man Bat's new take, and seemingly making Captain Marvel more popular.

I also love the fact that it's a starting point. My friend who always loved the DCU was always kinda scared of reading them before because how intimidating numbering for series like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Detective, and Action Comics were. So now he is reading DC as well. It also got me reading monthly titles instead of reading just back issues. Also without New 52 I would've never read Flash or Wonder Woman, two characters that have quickly become my favorites.

#7 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6113 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't be reading comics right now without it.

#8 Posted by ViperKing (422 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

For giving me Continuity headaches.....and editorial headaches.....and migraines.

#10 Posted by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio

this

Nightwing red logo instead of blue

YOU'RE DEAD TO ME...................jk

#11 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

for taking a relatively easy to follow continuity (get off your a**es people, the internet is not only for p0rn), stuffing a stick of dynamite down its throat and painting the room with it + a lot of 'maybe's, 'we dont know's, 'it doesnt matter's and 'possibly's. thanks dc.

#12 Posted by The_Tree (7203 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahaha, this is right.

#13 Edited by Bogey (934 posts) - - Show Bio

Rot World

#14 Posted by batmannflash (6187 posts) - - Show Bio
  • I would have never read comics.
  • new love for Aquaman
  • new love for Damian
  • some cool new characters
  • and many more
#15 Edited by 2cool4fun (1359 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

I wouldn't be reading comics right now without it.

This.

Also i would still be making fun of aquaman instead of thinking how badass he is, and i would have never realized what great characters Swamp thing and Animal man are!

#16 Edited by gator4eva (396 posts) - - Show Bio

It got me into comics.

#17 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@tektheninja: I don't get why so many like the blue. The blue was nice, but for me I think the red is the best. Plus, in a way it's referencing how he used to be Robin.

Oh and I guess I just came back from the land of the dead. :P

#18 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

For helping a lot of people get into comics and giving Aquaman a new level of popularity

#19 Edited by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Well,

Not thankful for New 52 for anything.

Looking at top 100 comics in June, and not sure what new 52 has brought to the table. Perhaps, people who need to see "new" and issue numbers less than 30 to buy books-- please don't tell them a larger number will show each month. These don't sound like lifers who will sustain sales figures.

Still not sure what most fans of the current universe love about the characters other than they feature in books that say "new" and they are quick to snap at anyone who dislikes it.

Looks like GL and Bats(the least changed) are carrying the company.

#20 Posted by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5866 posts) - - Show Bio

For making in Superman less heroic, making Batman less of a genius, and making WW naive and dumb.

#22 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

To be fair...I did say "grateful" for the reboot...so if you viners (that commented on the negative aspects of the reboot) are genuinely grateful that you're upset...then I guess there's no problem.

Of course with almost anything in life, there are positives and negatives, but let's leave the latter for different thread :)

#24 Posted by JohnnyGat (1561 posts) - - Show Bio

I am thankful for Batcow, and Alfred the Cat and Titus

#25 Posted by RustyRoy (10853 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Damian's character development.
  • Francis Manapul and Brian Buccelatto on Flash.
  • Aquaman and Mera.
  • Return of the real Batgirl.
  • No Stephanie Brown.

Although they could've done these without rebooting.

#26 Posted by Black_Claw (2886 posts) - - Show Bio

1. New take on Aquaman

2. Batcow

3. Death of the Family

4. New take on Wonder Woman (save for the SM/WW relationship)

5. Throne of Atlantis

#27 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl:

You are correct. Your thread requested positive feedback.

I like JL Dark and I enjoyed Rot world, not sure if New 52 was necessary for the events to take place. But I did enjoy them.

#28 Edited by HeckTate (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

Animal Man has his own series which showcases some AMAZING artwork and unique stories. Here's a superhero with superpowers who doesn't play to the same tired cliche superhero strengths and weaknesses. He's a family man and a public persona who other heroes don't necessarily take seriously.

Also, like Rusty said, Damian Wayne's role in Batman Inc. Terrific character on his own, but what he brings to the Batman is more than just a sidekick. He opens up the most human Batman we've seen and leads him to places and decisions no one would have thought him capable of.

#29 Edited by Kelevra216 (131 posts) - - Show Bio

It got me into comics again, especially single issues, and I'm much more involved than before. Also, almost every title is easier to understand, (I think) in terms of numbering.

A new take on the characters to be with the times. The previous universe, Pre-DCnU, is still there, it's just that timeline is gone due to Flashpoint and right now we're experiencing the alternate timeline, the DC New Universe.

#30 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing. There's nothing to be grateful for.

Well freaking said.

#31 Edited by MatteoPG (1921 posts) - - Show Bio

I read the comics before and read them now, and I honestly think that there was so much continuity that didn't work... it was actually a whole company reboot only by name, if you think about it. They didn't change so much about Batman and GL, except for stuff they could have corrected with a little fumbling (like Barbara walking again). It helped them shrink times and avoid useless cajoling to fix stuff that didn't work.

If you notice, they completely changed Flash and Superman, because those two were so far gone, their continuity was a complete mess.

I think that such operations are necessary from time to time in ongoing comics. Was it done as well as they could? No, a lot of devices they employed weren't that great. But I actually like the universe better now.

#32 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg: Batman was altered hugely. Many of his major story arcs were retconned away. It's a myth that he stayed the same.

#33 Edited by lilben42 (2498 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely wouldn't be reading comics.

#34 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

Admittedly, yes, the reboot was not necessary in order to do what it has done, and has had troubles with its execution, BUT, having said that, I'm grateful that the n52 pushed me towards reading books that ordinarily I don't think I would have picked up before, such as Animal Man and Swamp Thing.

It was also responsible for putting the spotlight back on certain characters that I have liked in the past but didn't receive as much attention prior to the reboot.

I also like the fact that it attracted new readers to the world of comics.

#35 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing.

#36 Edited by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Charles Soule writing Swamp thing. Pretty much that's the big positive I can think of in the new 52 there's others, but that's my no1 probably Wonder Woman, and JLD next, but the new 52 has a lot of things I don't like, but I try to be optimistic even though I'm pretty annoyed by it.

#37 Edited by aquahawk (69 posts) - - Show Bio

I am quite happy with the New 52. While it is by no means perfect and has a few gaping holes, it did succeed in getting me back into comics. For every bad title, there was a great one, and I enjoyed finding new favorite heroes that I would have never thought of before.

After the relaunch, I found a huge number of people at my school that had gotten into or back into comics as well thanks to it. Contrary to evidently popular ComicVine know-it-all belief, these new fans do go back and read the classic stories that made these characters great, and not just whine about how old continuity is crap and doesn't matter.

So all in all, I am very thankful. I found new interests, a slew of new friends, and a love for something that I had lost interest in some time ago. I just hope that the DCnU will be further improved upon with new, exciting stories that I can love reading. :)

#38 Posted by ChiSoxRox (235 posts) - - Show Bio

My avatar getting her own book, the medieval setting of Demon Knights

#39 Edited by thespideyguy (2645 posts) - - Show Bio

Good stories

Wouldn't read Dc without it

#40 Edited by Rayluaza (110 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison's run on AC (yeah i am one of the two that enjoyed it)
Superman Unchained looks promising.

But overall The new 52 gave more negatives than positives.

#42 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison's run on AC (yeah i am one of the two that enjoyed it)

Superman Unchained looks promising.

But overall The new 52 gave more negatives than positives.

3 actually I loved his run on Action.

And agree with everything else you stated :)

#43 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1192 posts) - - Show Bio

aquman is awsome

swamp thing is great

animal is great charlie is doing a great job

flash

wonder woman

batman

superman unchain

justice league Throne of Atlantis arc was awesome

shazam back up was great

#44 Posted by sagejonathan (1810 posts) - - Show Bio

It made a perfect entry point for me into comics. I started a month after the New 52 when I read an issue of Thor, and then decided to try the New 52. Now I love the DC universe and I found myself loving characters I used to hate.

#45 Posted by longbowhunter (6733 posts) - - Show Bio

It's so clear that the opinions are split. New readers love the New 52, old DC readers feel scorned. What a shame.

#46 Edited by Perethorn (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

For taking out Superman red underwear

#47 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

It's so clear that the opinions are split. New readers love the New 52, old DC readers feel scorned. What a shame.

Not really. Big split between old dc readers as well. Some hate it but some do enjoy it

#48 Posted by Denam_Pavel (147 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Justice League Dark
  • Making Aquaman badass
  • Definitively cleaning up the mess that is Hawkmans history
  • Bringing back the Nightwing solo (he was great as Batman but we all knew that wouldn't last and without the 52 new titles iniative he might not have gotten his own book)
  • Making Roy Harper and Cheshire fun again.

That's about it. List of stuff I damn it for is much longer.

#49 Posted by longbowhunter (6733 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: Some old DC fans may enjoy certain titles, but I've yet to meet any who enjoy the New 52 as a whole. If there are it certainly doesn't compare to the number of new readers digging the New 52.

#50 Posted by gator4eva (396 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: Yea new readers will definitely like the new 52 more because most of them haven't read the old universe. The thing is though, you don't have to like everything about something to enjoy it. I doubt all the old readers liked everything about the old universe but they still enjoyed it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.