Follow

DC Animated Universe

Concept » DC Animated Universe appears in 872 issues.

The animated adaptation of the DC Comics universe, created by Bruce Timm and Paul Dini.

What "Earth" Is The DCAU On?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#1  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Just recently I started reading Batman Beyond Unlimited and have started re-watching some of the old DC Animated Universe series like Batman: TAS and Justice League and JLU. But I was curious if anyone could tell me what exact "Earth" the DCAU is on as originally I thought it was "Earth-12" but after doing some research I believe I may be mistaken. Just wondering if someone could help me figure out which Earth this universe currently resides as I really don't understand much about DC's multiverse.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@War Killer: Hm...I THINK it might be Earth-16, but I'm not positive.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Icarusflies said:

I know Young Justice is supposed to be on Earth-16, but I'm asking about the original DC Animated Universe where Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: TAS, Justice League, JLU, Static Shock, and Batman Beyond all take place seeing as it is its own universe.
    Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@War Killer: I know what you're asking. :P

I thought that was Earth-16.

According to the internet, Batman Beyond IS Earth-12

It seems that much of the DCAU is either on 16 or 12.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Icarusflies said:

That's Young Justices' earths designation 

I don't think it officially has one, the Batman Beyond comic takes place on Earth 12 but Terry being Batman is only one of several things the two realities have in common
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Just checked Wikipedia and they have Batman Beyond, along with the rest of the DCAU (note that Young Justice is not apart of this universe and should not be mistaken as such), all take place on Earth-12. Can anyone confirm this?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle
    @War Killer said:
    Just checked Wikipedia and they have Batman Beyond, along with the rest of the DCAU (note that Young Justice is not apart of this universe and should not be mistaken as such), all take place on Earth-12. Can anyone confirm this?
    Thats either fan made, or a writer who was not a creator or contributor to the original DC animated U made it up...Its never given, even in episodes like A Better World they're just referred to as alternate earths
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By danhimself

@War Killer said:

a while back DC released a list containing what some of the 52 Earth's were and Earth 12 was listed as the DCAU so in this case Wikipedia is correct

p.s. don't let anyone tell you that the Batman Beyond mini or the current Batman Beyond Unlimited series is set in the future of the DC Universe....those people are confused and wrong

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @danhimself said:

@War Killer said:

a while back DC released a list containing what some of the 52 Earth's were and Earth 12 was listed as the DCAU so in this case Wikipedia is correct

p.s. don't let anyone tell you that the Batman Beyond mini or the current Batman Beyond Unlimited series is set in the future of the DC Universe....those people are confused and wrong

Yeah, I know the universe appeared in Countdown (I think that was the series, may be wrong though) as I remember seeing scans of Terry fighting Jokerz in the street and the universe was labeled as "Earth-12".
    No Caption Provided
    Oh I knew it wasn't already, the fact that in Batman Beyond Unlimited Terry is on the Justice League Beyond with Warhawk, who is the son of Hawkgirl and John Stewart, right there proves that it's not the main DC Universe and is instead set in the DCAU's future. The new BBU series seems to pick up where the TV series left off which, to someone like me who loved the show, I'm very happy about.

The only thing that I can even think is close to having Terry in the mainstream universe is that story Grant Morrison wrote back in Batman #700 where it shows an older Damian teaching Terry instead of Bruce, but even then that could still be an alternate universe.
    Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Batmanx2005

It both main earth and earth 12

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

The DCAU is indeed on Earth 12

Young Justice is Earth 16

Eldest808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

The DCAU is indeed on Earth 12

Young Justice is Earth 16

So then what about the DCAU Short where Terry and Future Bruce Wayne have to fight against the Batmen from all of the different TV Shows out there? Like Batman the Brave and the Bold, The Batman, etc.,

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eldest808: it's just for fun. It's Bruce Timms way of paying tribute to Batman. It's most likely not canon to the actual series/continuity

Eldest808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

@eldest808: it's just for fun. It's Bruce Timms way of paying tribute to Batman. It's most likely not canon to the actual series/continuity

I figured that much but Batman the Brave and the Bold did have a episode where Terry did visit that Planet Earth. Along with a whole bunch of different Batmen's. So it may be canon.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jchamp26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jchamp26

The DCAU was part of the 52 Multiverse (after the Crisis on Infinite Earths multiverse and before the New 52 multiverse) but I cannot remember its designation. Earth 12 is not the same as the DCAU, while it is home to the Batman Beyond comics, it is a possible future to the New Earth (Earth 0) where the versions of characters we all know best in comics. That being said, the Earth 12 timeline differs greatly in "the present period" from that of the DCAU. Earth 16 of the 52 multiverse originally belonged to the Super Sons but someone decided to axe them off and replace that universe with Young Justice. Again, not the DCAU. Recently, following the Convergence event in the comics there seems to no longer be an absolute set of 52 universe anymore, instead all multiverse in the past are potentially accessible. It's also worth mentioning that the DCAU can be considered a multiverse of its own, which only complicates this post even more. Sorry if that's confusing, but I thought I would share it just the same.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.