Should Dazzler be more powerful then she is depicted?

#1 Posted by lorex (958 posts) - - Show Bio

I was looking at the info on some of the members of the X-Men the other day and I saw the known powers of Dazzler. Essentially she is able to manipulate light and the list of powers in and of itself if quite impressive with flight, solid light projections, lasers and forcefield generation
topping the list. I began wondering if any other character had those abilities they would be among the more powerful X-Men, but Dazzler doesn't seem to garner much respect from anyone. I don't think she is that bad a character given some good writing can be interesting. She has
been getting some on page time lately but still remains primarily in the background. Is the whole disco diva thing still dogging her? Are there too many blonds in the X-Men right now? Am I the only one that thinks she has potential and needs to get more character development, or
is the Iceman excuse in play here as writers claim not to know how to write her? Am I way off here, let me know.

#2 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Let me just refer you here: 
http://www.cracked.com/article_16547_the-7-crappiest-super-heroes-in-comic-book-history.html

As a disclaimer, let me stress that these are NOT my opinions, and I don't (necessarily) agree with them. I just thought it brought up a few points about why she doesn't get a lot of respect.

As a bonus, here's another article she's featured in:
 http://www.cracked.com/article_16403_the-7-most-hilariously-mismatched-superhero-battles_p2.html 

#3 Edited by lorex (958 posts) - - Show Bio

Regarding the articles you referenced, well the early Dazzler was purely the creation of a poorly conceived marketing campaign and the writing was poor, so yes at that time the character of Dazzler sucked. My question is more in-depth, taking into account all of her history and given the development of her powers over the years. If any other character had an array of abilities like hers they would be considered more powerful and have a more prominent role with the X-Men. So again I ask is it just her origin that is holding her back, or am I the only one to see potential there?

#4 Edited by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio
@lorex: I doubt you're the only one to see potential in her character, but I think part of her lukewarm reception could be based on how she doesn't seem to see her own potential. Dazzler never really wanted to be a superhero, which isn't all that uncommon in the comic-book universe, but unlike most of these others, who eventually man up and more or less adapt the Uncle Ben philosophy, Dazzler's heart never seemed to be in it. Making a character the readers can relate to usually works, but I'm wondering if the idea of a superhero who genuinely doesn't want to be a superhero, but halfheartedly does so because what she really does want to do hasn't really worked out may just hit a little too close to home, considering the death spiral the job market has been in over the past couple of decades.
#5 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Although it's disappointingly a flashback to a scene that technically happened in a reconstructed memory from an alternate reality that never happened, the Dazzler story in Age X Universe #2 had a good grasp of her character & powers. It was the first time in a long time when she purposefully absorbed sound, and she even used the UV range of light to see in the dark.

Unfortunately, very few writers understand the nature of her powers. Instead they write her as a Paris Hilton-esque disco bimbo.

#6 Edited by HeroineAddict (68 posts) - - Show Bio

My take on Dazzler is this.  She started out as a "reluctant heroine."  But in the course of her life she has since joined X-Men, been a freedom fighter in the Mojoverse, (which to me means she's learned to be a better fighter and have some knowledge of tactics---a fact no one at MARVEL seems to get), and she's been a member in good standing in New Excalibur.  Yes Ali would rather perform than punch.  But she has now seen and done TOO much to ignore the heroic aspect of her life.  Add to the fact Ali has ALWAYS been ruled by her conscience.  Despite any misgivings she heroes up to do what she believes is the right thing.  Maybe Ali was reluctant at first because she didn't want to risk someone's death due to her misjudgement.  But now she has enough experience and confidence to be a serious player in the MARVEL universe.  Which is why I'm so pissed off at Matt Fraction and those others who treat her like a "Paris Hilton-esque" piece of fluff.  Dazz has more depth and more going for her than that shallow sham they are cramming down our throats. 

I'd love to see her tell the over exposed General 'Clops and his frosted flake of a girlfriend to piss off and leave that damned island.  Ali should be out in the world performing and helping those that need help as well as stopping those that need to be stopped.  Using her status as a performer and a heroine to promote peaceful co-existance between the two humanities by ACTUALLY co-existing with them.  She should be out there with other MARVEL heroes being a serious player.  There is no reason why Ali can't be both an entertainer and a hero worthy of the name.

And yes she should be depicted as being more powerful because she is.  She can ape the Invisible Woman's force field.  May not be as powerful but still she can make one.  She can actually beat 'Clops at his own game because she's not a one-trick pony like he is. She can block his optic blast with one of her own AND shoot that visor right off his face with her shootin' finger because she IS a sharpshooter.  Wolverine's always bragging about having claws?  Ali has ten of 'em.  Finger lasers that can slice through almost anything.  Plus her eyes and even her whole body.  Ali is a Swiss Army knife of light.  She has a very creative and versatile power.  Give her enough sound and motivation and she can make most of the X-Men look like pikers.

#7 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't she one of the mutants with Omega level potential?

#8 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18857 posts) - - Show Bio

If writers knew how to write her correctly then hell yeah she would be a lot more powerful.

#9 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

she's depicted powerful enough, just not often enough.

#10 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10649 posts) - - Show Bio
@AgeofHurricane
I don't think so. I don't remember seeing her referred to as having omega level potential, but personally, I  think she should be somewhere in that vicinity of power. She is pretty powerful but I can't recall exceptionally powerful showings (i.e. -Magneto, Storm, etc.) to indicate just how powerful she really is. IIRC, she was once a herald of Galactus, she fought claw not that long ago in her last one-shot (very good read by the way), and I think she was pretty impressive in terms of her power level and versatility (and Klaw is no pushover) in that issue. IMO she has one of the most versatile abilities among the X-Men, and is powerful enough to take on quite a few of them with a good shot of winning.   
#11 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

She should be more powerful, but most depictions of her are just bad.  IMO, this was the best representation of Dazzler:

#12 Edited by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox-kitty said:

Although it's disappointingly a flashback to a scene that technically happened in a reconstructed memory from an alternate reality that never happened, the Dazzler story in Age X Universe #2 had a good grasp of her character & powers. It was the first time in a long time when she purposefully absorbed sound, and she even used the UV range of light to see in the dark.

Unfortunately, very few writers understand the nature of her powers. Instead they write her as a Paris Hilton-esque disco bimbo.

OMG, this reminds me of the time she was buried underground and she absorbed sound from the tapping of an insect to free herself (needless to say it took a while). That had to be Australian outback days.

I love Dazzler to the nth degree, but I feel as though readers need a reintroduction to the character. She hasn't been written well in over 20 years, so people don't know what to do with her nor how to use her powers other than a random lazer beam.

#13 Posted by KubaTheMetaphyBennu (2 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by KubaTheMetaphyBennu (2 posts) - - Show Bio

LIGHT in All of its' Infinite Varieties, from the Extremely Low-Level Frequencies, Vibrations, Amplification/s, Wavelength Attenuation/s,to the Highest-Levels which are Cosmic Rays, as to WHY a Character whom supposedly can Control LIGHT cannot completely Control the Entire LIGHT SPECTRUM is Beyond My Comprehension to under/over-stand at any Level, still on topic, the White Queen is able to Control her form sufficiently so enough that she can Change her Natural State to a Diamond State, so Why cannot this Character then have the innate Ability to Change her Natural State to Solid/Hard-Light, this is a completely doable scenario.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.