Follow

Dazzler

Character » Dazzler appears in 2676 issues.

A mutant with the ability to transduce sound into light, which often forces her into reluctant superheroism. She is also a very gifted singer and performer, hence her reservations in donning her uniform.

Review: Dazzler One Shot

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_
    No Caption Provided
    Will Dazzler dazzle you in this one shot issue? I'll be honest, I hoped they would change her outfit.  

The Good

I was really looking forward to this issue after I heard that Jim McCann would be writing it, being that he is such a fan of the character. McCann has a solid grasp of Dazzler's character and the relationship she has with her sister, Lois. While the issue does start out somewhat slow, (I am not a fan of L.A. nightclub scenes, but I realize that it is a part of her character) it definitely picks up toward the middle and gets you at the edge of your seat. The fight sequence with the primary antagonist in this issue is absolutely awesome and made the comic worth reading. The adversary McCann chooses is like the "ying" to Dazzler's "yang." This adversary is the perfect choice. McCann really thinks the fight through, too, providing a psychological analysis of the sequence in the narrative which made reading it very interesting. 
    This issue is a perfect one shot because it is a journey of self realization and self discovery for Dazzler. She realizes that it is not the "mutant" that makes her who she is, but an abundance of different characteristics. These scenes are beautifully written and are very interesting. I was surprised the comic was only $3.99 considering Marvel has no problem charging $4.99 for many of their one-shot issues. You get a lot with this issue and the story is split into two part. Overall, it's a good read and great for readers that are unfamiliar with the character since it provides an introduction into who she is.   

The Bad

I really did not like the second part of this comic which features Dazzler in Utopia. I think the scene where Dazzler is on the phone with her mother was relatively boring, and a little bit of a drag. I like sappy, but this felt over the top. I think it would have been better if she had simply reminisced about her past and what the steps she took to get her to where she is now, as opposed to all that inner dialogue on the phone with her Mother. 

The Verdict - 3.5/5

This comic was a lot of fun to read, and it delves into the psychological elements of what makes Dazzler tick while maintaining the momentum of a superhero/action comic book (even if that second portion was a bit of a drag). You really get a lot for your buck with this issue. I wouldn't mind this being a mini series and I think it is refreshing to see a character that doesn't get a whole lot of time in the spotlight. If you are new to the character, this is a great book to pick up as it is a self contained story and you don't really need a lot of background information to understand who she is and what is going on.   

123jeffc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 123jeffc

Is she still on roller skates?

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By No_Name_
    @123jeffc: Yap. :(
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By sora_thekey

I'm glad this is a good read!
    I am very excited for this One Shot and I will read this!

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By charlieboy

cannot wait to pick that up.
    greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By greenenvy

Is the enchantress in this at all? 

victimblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By victimblue

the art is horrible! especially the first few pages.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I love the cover art, but I will avoid it now, your reivew made it sound...  not worth getting!  thanks Babs :)

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dondasch

Pass.  A oneshot of what seems to be a boring character being thrust into the spotlight again...

Linktm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Linktm

I honestly felt it was a pretty good one-shot, and they at least go and explain WHY she's in her old outfit for this one-shot. As of recently she has had a new outfit in her appearances in Uncanny X-Men.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By warlock360

Looks like  Kiss fan

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty

I finally got to read this.  It wasn't bad, but the first story was too much like the original series.  I don't mean all the cameos & dangerous walk down memory lane, but the way that the story was non-stop fight after fight with silly pieces of dialogue thrown in for good measure. 

The back up story was much stronger, but that was only because it played more upon emotions & characters.   

Plus, it was rather odd to have a Necrosha epilogue story in the middle of Second Coming.  This was just bad timing.  It's hard to care when she's meant to be trapped in Limbo & swamped by demons who're trying to devour her.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By charlieboy

i really enjoyed the story and how it refrenced the original series. and i much prefer dazz's original outfit to that thing she wears now.
    rbysjti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By rbysjti
    @charlieboy said:
    " cannot wait to pick that up. "
    lol.",) You're indeed Dazzler's fan.",)
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By pixelized
    @xerox-kitty said:

" I finally got to read this.  It wasn't bad, but the first story was too much like the original series.  I don't mean all the cameos & dangerous walk down memory lane, but the way that the story was non-stop fight after fight with silly pieces of dialogue thrown in for good measure.  The back up story was much stronger, but that was only because it played more upon emotions & characters.    Plus, it was rather odd to have a Necrosha epilogue story in the middle of Second Coming.  This was just bad timing.  It's hard to care when she's meant to be trapped in Limbo & swamped by demons who're trying to devour her. "

Sorry I'm terribly late but, as usual, Kitty has already summed up my ideas.

Im not too big of a fan of Jim M, simply because I don't think he can write his favorite characters. He loves Mockingbird, but her adventures with Hawkeye are textual ambien. I love Dazzler more than anyone can ever know, and while some quips were nice, it just seemed like he wanted to prove that he knew the characters history. There was zero need to bring in half of the cast that he did. Why would Lois even go to Arcade to solve issues with Allison? So while the story fell, it was quite nice to see Al do something other than keep the other background X-Men company.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.