Allie's X-Men uniform

#1 Edited by Thunderscream (1809 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hate it. With the strange, ribbed under-cleavage and sometimes, the top half of her "Dazzler" emblem adorning her crotch. I'd appreciate the 80's look having a comeback over this :/ 
Anybody else? 

Also, any mods know why, even though i selected the Dazzler forum, or any other forum for that matter, it automatically posts in Gen. Discussion?

#2 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the Greg Land designed outfit.  But MORE than anything, I wish people would STOP changing her main image to her hideously outdated disco diva jumpsuit :p

#3 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

gotta say, I'll take the jumpsuit over the space suit anyday

Zero Character and Zero Pizazz. It's like the default costume you'd give a person that didn't have any clothes to wear, not a seasoned X-Man.

#4 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized: True, but at last it has more individuality to it than the New Mutants outfits.  One year later & they're STILL wearing yellow & black.  At least Dazzler has something that says 'not a regular X-Man' ;)
#5 Posted by HeroineAddict (68 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the Land costume for one reason only.  It's the one she wears as a shallow sham of what she once was.  She's REDUCED to being a bit player. A damned background decoration.  Much as I love Dazzler I'm not buying any X-Book with her in it for the sake of a freakin' cameo.  

As for the disco suit.  Any writer WORTHY of the title could come up with a logical reason why she'd still have the disco connection after all these years.  Me? I have her being an singer-actress in a musical about the disco era.  She was a diva called the "Disco Dazzler." Ali created the look for the character she was playing.  The musical was popular enough to be optioned for a movie.  To promote publicity for the movie Ali agreed to appear in character at various night spots across the country.  This was how she met the X-Men. Spider-Man and the Human Torch. Later the movie deal fell through and Ali was ready to retire the suit , makeup and roller skates.  But her then-manager convinced her to keep Dazzler going for a while longer as it would help get her foot in the door for other gigs.  Ali agrees and drops "Disco" from her name. And since she created the "Dazzler" look there are no legal hassles from the creators of the musical.  Assuming they even cared.  Dazzler starts to sing more contemporary music and sure enough she becomes more popular.  So popular that some crime-connected show-biz mover and shaker wants to add her to his stable of talent.  He forces Ali's manager to sell her contract.  When Ali finds out about her new boss she wants no part of him.  The crime-manager uses his connections to black-ball Dazzler from the choice gigs which lead her to where she was in DAZZLER #1 Vol #1.  That's what I would have done. 

Now as far as I can tell the only reason she's back to wearing the silver and skates in the one-shot is because she was made to by one of the actual villains in the story.

Now I LOVED the blue suit she wore in the 80s.  Why? Because this was when Dazz was at her best to me.  She was a more pro-active heroine as well as a singer.  She enjoyed the best of both her worlds.  She sang for her supper but she also kicked ass when needed.  And when she joined Excalibur, much as I disliked the pink hair and chaps, she, in her blue crop top, was still the heroine I always wanted her to be.  Then came Fraction's Fractured Folly that's more popularly referred to as the "Scott and Emma Show." 

Despite all the crap I still like the Dazz and hope that this one-shot will lead to better things for her and we who are still her fans.  

#6 Posted by pixie_child (258 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: 

True, but at last it has more individuality to it than the New Mutants outfits.  One year later & they're STILL wearing yellow & black.  At least Dazzler has something that says 'not a regular X-Man' ;)

It also makes it easier to recognise her in large scenes with any combination her, Magik, Magma, BoomBoomm, any of the Cuckoos or any other character with long blonde hair. And it also seems to just fit her style and still be a X-Men uniform. I mean, it's a little skanky, but it's nothing in comparison to what Frost wears.
#7 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixie_child said:
"It also makes it easier to recognise her in large scenes with any combination her, Magik, Magma, BoomBoomm, any of the Cuckoos or any other character with long blonde hair. And it also seems to just fit her style and still be a X-Men uniform. I mean, it's a little skanky, but it's nothing in comparison to what Frost wears. "
Especially when Greg Land or Terry Dodson are on art chores.
#8 Posted by kerukun878 (373 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixie_child: I'd never get Allie and Tabbi mixed up, simply because their looks are so different. However, I have gotten Magik and Magma mixed up.
#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@kerukun878 said:
" @pixie_child: I'd never get Allie and Tabbi mixed up, simply because their looks are so different. However, I have gotten Magik and Magma mixed up. "
In an ideal world, they'd never be mistaken for each other.  Bust a lot of comic artists can't draw different features for different characters... so they all look alike ;p
#10 Edited by pixie_child (258 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @kerukun878 said:
" @pixie_child: I'd never get Allie and Tabbi mixed up, simply because their looks are so different. However, I have gotten Magik and Magma mixed up. "
In an ideal world, they'd never be mistaken for each other.  Bust a lot of comic artists can't draw different features for different characters... so they all look alike ;p "

That's my problem. They all have the same length and colour hair and when they're not given a Name/Power tag block, sometimes it's difficult. ^_~
#11 Posted by pixie_child (258 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
Dark Avengers #8

Like this. There are four of them, and it took me about five minutes before I was sure I know who was who. Her uniform really helped with IDing her.
#12 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixie_child: Funny, I was thinking of that one too... just which one is meant to be Boom Boom?? She wouldn't be caught dead wearing the black & gold X uniform ;p
#13 Posted by pixie_child (258 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
Believe it or not, the white and black uniform is supposed to be her. In the next two bars, they say her name in collection with Northstar and Nightcrawler and then show the three of them being 'ported by Pixie. I think the writers or artests may not have given much thought to the characters in general, because why would they neex to use Pixie to teleport a group with Nightcrawler in it?
#14 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixie_child: LOL!  She looks more like Skids!  They shouldn't give art chores like this to someone who can't handle multiple characters...
#15 Posted by pixie_child (258 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
I agree with the sentiment, although I'm not entirely sure what "art chores" are. Is that the background characters or just the general pencils?
#16 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixie_child: just a silly way of saying 'the artist' ;) 

But too many comic artists are too lazy when it comes to drawing characters.  Aside from a different parting in their hair, they all look alike.  And like you said, the only way you could recognise Dazzler was because of her outfit.  How bad is that, that an artist has to rely on clothes to make a character recognisable.
#17 Edited by pixie_child (258 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:

Yes, I get it now. You're right, or I guess, I was right. Whatever. But I'm in compleat agreement with you. I mean, I've drawn my own silly comic-things, but there's a reason I don't make other people read them. I liked the art, but not for their point. Danielle Moonstar was drawn poorly as well. I mean, she was pretty, but she doesn't look like her.
#18 Posted by The Cracked Genome (326 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
They should bring back her look from Excalibur. The short pink haircut was cute.
#19 Posted by pixie_child (258 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Cracked Genome said:
"@xerox-kitty: They should bring back her look from Excalibur. The short pink haircut was cute. "

It was a cute look, but I don't think that's the attitude thay're going for with her now. I get the impression she's supposed to be a lot more lighthearted now, hanging out with Northstar and Pixie.
#20 Edited by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

I said this before, but I really think that artists should take on Lady Gaga's style for Dazzler.  Lady Gaga's costumes (the more toned down ones lol) are like an updated, modern version of Dazzler's original disco look...  instead of the lightning bolt facepaint, maybe go with her signature Star symbol.  To me it definitely looks like Gaga took inspiration from Dazzler and updated it.  It'll definitely make her stand out...I seriously had a hard time identifying her from others as this thread pointed out many times...Dazzler's current uniform does her no justice at all
Here are some looks that Gaga has that reminds me of Dazzler:

#21 Edited by Thunderscream (1809 posts) - - Show Bio
@xhavoc86: the rest of the guys will tar and feather me, but gaga makes me cringe. forget her, the new AoA look is the ticket :) 

Sunspot, Dazzler, Warpath, Jubilee, Chamber, Frenzy, Cyclops
#22 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

More like Lady Gaga wishes she was Dazzler! 

Her new Age of X outfit is a cross between her 80's blue with star emblem, and the Ultimate Dazzler.  I do like it, which makes it MORE of a shame that it isn't permanent.

#23 Posted by Mercy_ (92676 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a fan of the Age of X look.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.