jakob187's Daytripper #6 - Chapter Six: 33 review

Daytripper #6 - The jakob187 Review

Coming off of issue five, it felt as though the way that Moon and Ba's Daytripper issues were ending was having less of an impact for me.  During the time between issues, I searched within myself a bit to try and understand why I was so attached to the books.  It quickly sunk in that they are about how death makes the events of life mean something more; the realization of mortality makes the meaning of life vastly more significant.  Issue #6 takes this to the next level, and the results are a bit mixed but still serve the purpose of the overall series' "story" quite well.

Moon and Ba take a look at Bras at the age of 33.  He's still writing obits for the local newspaper, but the issue takes a broader look at how death affects more than just a handful of people.  A tragedy with a plane occurs (something that I somehow evoked from the way the white blocks on the cover seemed to mimic the Twin Towers), and the issue becomes less about Bras' life and more about a load of people that we never really get to know.  If anything, the issue tests our sympathies, seeing if the same reaction to a stranger's death can be applied as if it were someone you knew well.  Moon doesn't try to play a ton of heartstrings in this one, but instead tries to examine the weight on the shoulders of Bras, who has to write obituaries for a ton of other people while trying to handle his own potential crisis.

Daytripper #6 also brings up a great point that I think about on a regular basis:  our dependency on technology.  There's a specific moment in the book where Bras performs the same actions that we've all performed.  It's that moment when someone isn't answering their phone and you start to get worried about them, and in those moments, you realize just how much you care about that person you are talking to.  No matter whether it's your lover, your friend, your family, or your child, it's the fear that you won't hear from that person again.

Overall, the issue tries to balance focusing on Bras as well as a massive (and unexplained) tragedy.  I would say that those sensitive to the events of 9/11, the Madrid bombings, or any type of tragedy in the last decade may want to stay away...but I think that's an absolutely stupid suggestion.  Daytripper #6, in its own way, presents these ideas of fear and death in a package that tries to look at the grief and mourning rather than the problems in one man's life.  This isn't an issue about a solitary person, but rather the problems of us all.