Judd Winick to leave Batwing

#1 Edited by k4tzm4n (51185 posts) - - Show Bio

Quite a few changes are happening with DC's creative teams, and the latest one is hitting the armored hero, David Zavimbe.

Judd Winick has told Newsarama he's exiting the bat-family title.

Winick assures that leaving Batwing is a "time issue" because he's "pursing a few other projects that make it impossible for me to continue doing a monthly book."

A last issue number was not provided and DC has not said who will replace him.

Viners, who do you want to see pick up the title and why?

Source: Newsarama

#2 Posted by k4tzm4n (51185 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if the new writer will keep Massacre in mind. I know Judd wanted to make him Batwing's primary villain.

#3 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised Batwing is even a standalone comic. Hasn't its sales been dismal?

#4 Edited by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

This saddens me. And if this leads to the cancellation of the title due to a drop in quality, I will be really disappointed, and annoyed. The originality that this book emanates is the reason I came back to comics. Winick masterfully wrote Batwing's first arc, and it was something I never saw before, because it used a backdrop and geopolitical themes that are just not seen in comics. The series can thrive off that, but I doubt that it will. The book needs someone who is great at telling stories, but more importantly understands the realities of both the good and the bad sides of Africa, and can learn to use heroism to exploit them. Shame. I would hate to see what unimaginative book about all the Robins teaming up would come out of the probable doom this book may face in the future. Just more uninteresting, uninspired comic trash.

Thanks Winick for a great series, and more importantly, DC comics for making an African hero, and telling a story set in Africa. Great effort.

#5 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7955 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved this series from the start, kinda worried now with what direction it's going to take and if it will be around at all.

#6 Posted by The_Tree (7879 posts) - - Show Bio

This is saddening news, I've been really liking this series. I hope they don't get some s### replacement. I nominate Fabian Nicieza or Gail Simone for taking over.

#7 Posted by JohnnyGat (1576 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm saddened and worried. I have grown a liking to Batwing especially during the first parts of the Massacre arc.

#8 Posted by NewKid (367 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: Agree on Simone taking over, I think she could do something good with this title :)

#9 Posted by Billy Batson (58271 posts) - - Show Bio

Joshua Dysart>everybody else
BB

#10 Posted by TDK_1997 (15085 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't been reading the series but I know that it has been good.

#11 Posted by The_Tree (7879 posts) - - Show Bio

@NewKid said:

@The_Tree: Agree on Simone taking over, I think she could do something good with this title :)

Yeah, if she can channel Secret Six's interesting plots and brutality into Batwing, then it would be incredible. Hell, since they're in Africa, she could even write in a Catman appearance.

#12 Posted by k4tzm4n (51185 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@NewKid said:

Yeah, if she can channel Secret Six's interesting plots and brutality into Batwing, then it would be incredible. Hell, since they're in Africa, she could even write in a Catman appearance.

Oooooh, I'd love to see that. Great way to debut him in the New 52.

#13 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn. This was a great book. I hope it survives the change.

@k4tzm4n said:

@The_Tree said:

@NewKid said:

Oooooh, I'd love to see that. Great way to debut him in the New 52.

Seconded.

#14 Posted by TheThe (1755 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

This saddens me. And if this leads to the cancellation of the title due to a drop in quality, I will be really disappointed, and annoyed. The originality that this book emanates is the reason I came back to comics. Winick masterfully wrote Batwing's first arc, and it was something I never saw before, because it used a backdrop and geopolitical themes that are just not seen in comics. The series can thrive off that, but I doubt that it will. The book needs someone who is great at telling stories, but more importantly understands the realities of both the good and the bad sides of Africa, and can learn to use heroism to exploit them. Shame. I would hate to see what unimaginative book about all the Robins teaming up would come out of the probable doom this book may face in the future. Just more uninteresting, uninspired comic trash.

Thanks Winick for a great series, and more importantly, DC comics for making an African hero, and telling a story set in Africa. Great effort.

+ 1000. Couldnt have said it better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.