Another Alan Moore Song: Chiaroscuro by Dave Gibbons

#1 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by turoksonofstone (12901 posts) - - Show Bio

So much win from this team every time out.

#3 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone said:
I love the John Wayne photo that Dave stuck in there.  :-)

I had a rough week, turok. I had to work at the store today, finishing up the order book for September and all those DC 52's. And then there were the numerous phone calls from San Diego. YIKES!

When I get home, I'm going to make myself a cocktail. No pot for me tonight!  XD
#4 Posted by tonis (6183 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roxanne Starr said:

@turoksonofstone said:
I love the John Wayne photo that Dave stuck in there. :-)

I had a rough week, turok. I had to work at the store today, finishing up the order book for September and all those DC 52's. And then there were the numerous phone calls from San Diego. YIKES! When I get home, I'm going to make myself a cocktail. No pot for me tonight! XD

the good thing about rough weeks is they eventually end :)

I like this entry in the songbook, totally got the old school gritty noir look down pat.

#5 Posted by turoksonofstone (12901 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
@turoksonofstone said:
I love the John Wayne photo that Dave stuck in there.  :-)

I had a rough week, turok. I had to work at the store today, finishing up the order book for September and all those DC 52's. And then there were the numerous phone calls from San Diego. YIKES!
 When I get home, I'm going to make myself a cocktail. No pot for me tonight!  XD
lol'ed so hard I forgot to reply! Take it easy Rox.
#6 Posted by M.S. Feather (1506 posts) - - Show Bio

Those photos fit really well with the lyrics and the hard black and white they're portrayed in really does give them a gritty feeling.  It's been so cool getting to see these.  If I ever find myself with musical talent and release an album you can bet I'll be releasing a songbook like this to accompany it!

@Roxanne Starr: Sorry you've been having a crummy week.  Here's to hoping this one treats you better...

Cheers!
#7 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio

Lovely, Powerful drawing. I like.

#8 Posted by Silkcuts (5123 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone said:
I think it is because they both understand comics true potential and respect it enough to try and hit that level every time.

What amazes me is Alan Moore's structure!  The rhyme is sublime. 

@M.S. Feather said:
Those photos fit really well with the lyrics and the hard black and white they're portrayed in really does give them a gritty feeling.  It's been so cool getting to see these.  If I ever find myself with musical talent and release an album you can bet I'll be releasing a songbook like this to accompany it!

@Roxanne Starr: Sorry you've been having a crummy week.  Here's to hoping this one treats you better... Cheers!

The weird part is that I don't think the songs were commercially released.  The songs were first released in anthology form if I remember correctly, which was in Negative Burn.  Later Caliber would collect it all and published them as the Alan Moore SongBook.  I agree that the art and the lyrics express the artistic concept of Chiaroscuro. 

@Roxanne Starr:  As well I would like to wish you well for the rest of the week.
#9 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis: @turoksonofstone: @Hawkeye446: @Silkcuts

Thanks for your condolences, guys! I know this week will be better. If it isn't, I'll convert to Wicca.

@M.S. Feather said:

@Roxanne Starr: Sorry you've been having a crummy week.  Here's to hoping this one treats you better...
Cheers!

Are those for real, Feather? Where do I get one?
#10 Posted by Silkcuts (5123 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr: Your too funny.
And those bottle are pimp, I was wondering the same thing.
#11 Posted by turoksonofstone (12901 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts said:
@turoksonofstone said:
I think it is because they both understand comics true potential and respect it enough to try and hit that level every time.

What amazes me is Alan Moore's structure!  The rhyme is sublime. 

@M.S. Feather said:

@Roxanne Starr: Sorry you've been having a crummy week.  Here's to hoping this one treats you better... Cheers!

The weird part is that I don't think the songs were commercially released.  The songs were first released in anthology form if I remember correctly, which was in Negative Burn.  Later Caliber would collect it all and published them as the Alan Moore SongBook.  I agree that the art and the lyrics express the artistic concept of Chiaroscuro. 

@Roxanne Starr:  As well I would like to wish you well for the rest of the week.
I think I have some of these in Negative burn...
#12 Posted by M.S. Feather (1506 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr: Sure, it's an Italian liquor made from rose petals.

They're only sold in Italy as far as I can tell though, so unfortunately I don't know where you could purchase it. : (
#13 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather said:
@Roxanne Starr: Sure, it's an Italian liquor made from rose petals.  They're only sold in Italy as far as I can tell though, so unfortunately I don't know where you could purchase it. : (
Rose petals??? Now I definitely want some!

Are there any Viners who live in Italy? It sounds like it's very expensive...just my kind  of booze.

Looks like I'll have to get myself another job. :D
#14 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather@Roxanne Starr: How exactly do you go about making wine out of rose petals?
#15 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawkeye446 said:
@M.S. Feather@Roxanne Starr: How exactly do you go about making wine out of rose petals?

I guess one PRESSES the petals. They do have moisture in them. Just not that much.
#16 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:

I guess one PRESSES the petals. They do have moisture in them. Just not that much.
Delicious! I can only wonder how many petals make up a bottle.. 
#17 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:

I'm sure that that big bottle must cost at least a hundred bucks. I wouldn't be surprised if the little bottle cost a hundred bucks.
#18 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:

I'm sure that that big bottle must cost at least a hundred bucks. I wouldn't be surprised if the little bottle cost a hundred bucks.
Totally worth it.. It has your name on it!!! :D
#19 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:

I'm still waiting for a Viner who lives in Italy to come forward. I might buy a bottle no matter how much it costs.  :-)
#20 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:

I'm still waiting for a Viner who lives in Italy to come forward. I might buy a bottle no matter how much it costs.  :-)
DO IT!! :D 

Why don't you look online for prices?? I tried finding it but nothing came up :(
#21 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:

DO IT!! :D  Why don't you look online for prices?? I tried finding it but nothing came up :(
Yeah, I couldn't find any prices either.  :(
#22 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:

DO IT!! :D  Why don't you look online for prices?? I tried finding it but nothing came up :(
Yeah, I couldn't find any prices either.  :(
Oh :( That IS a pity.
#23 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawkeye446

I'll just have to make do with what the Gods have thrown my way.  :-)
#24 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446

I suppose so.. No wine-made-of-flowers for you.. :(  
One day when I visit Italy, I will send you a bottle :D
#25 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446

I suppose so.. No wine-made-of-flowers for you.. :(  One day when I visit Italy, I will send you a bottle :D
Of course you will.  :-)

I'll try to scan Neil Gaiman's song, The Murders on the Rue Morgue, later today.
#26 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446

I suppose so.. No wine-made-of-flowers for you.. :(  One day when I visit Italy, I will send you a bottle :D

I'll try to scan Neil Gaiman's song, The Murders on the Rue Morgue, later today.
It'll happen.. One day... 
 Hawkeye WILL travel to Italy : Donate Today
#27 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446

Ah, the moon...again.

But this time, it will belong to YOU!   :D
#28 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446

Ah, the moon...again.

But this time, it will belong to YOU!   :D
You betcha! I am Hawkeye, Supreme Overlord of the Moon, and Hopeful Back-Packer Extraordinaire! 
#29 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said: Ah, the moon...again. But this time, it will belong to YOU!   :D
You betcha! I am Hawkeye, Supreme Overlord of the Moon, and Hopeful Back-Packer Extraordinaire! 
Have you checked out the latest Alan Moore song in the Neil Gaiman forum, Hawkeye?
#30 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said: Ah, the moon...again. But this time, it will belong to YOU!   :D
Have you checked out the latest Alan Moore song in the Neil Gaiman forum, Hawkeye?
Been Meaning to, still have old pm's that need a' Checkin'!
#31 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
Neil's artwork is actually pretty good. This rat though...not so much.  XD
#32 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
Are you kidding!? That's awesome.. Looks a tad like Velcro.. Lol..
#33 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:

Are you kidding!? That's awesome.. Looks a tad like Velcro.. Lol..

Yes, I see somewhat of a resemblance in the teeth...

#34 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr: Hehe... Would NOT want to cross that dog!
#35 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawkeye446 said:

Jack Russell terriers may be small in stature, but they are ferociously protective of what they consider to be theirs.  :D
#36 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:

Jack Russell terriers may be small in stature, but they are ferociously protective of what they consider to be theirs.  :D
Indeed, your a lucky woman Rox-Starr!
#37 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:

Lucky? to have Velcro? 

You have GOT to be kidding. Sigh...
#38 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:

Lucky? to have Velcro? 

You have GOT to be kidding. Sigh...
A loyal steed he is.. More of an entourage.. 
#39 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawkeye446 said:

I have NO IDEA what that means, Hawkeye.  LOL!
#40 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
@Hawkeye446 said:

I have NO IDEA what that means, Hawkeye.  LOL!
To be honest, neither do I.. I suppose I was getting to the point that Velcro may be a hard dog to tame, but he is loyal to you.. Calling him a steed/entourage makes it sound more... "jazzy"?  

I really need sleep :(
#41 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawkeye446
Rrf! by Dave Lapham (Velcro on sedatives)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.