Follow

Darwin

Character » Darwin appears in 368 issues.

Darwin is a mutant that evolves to survive anything, though it is involuntary. He left the X-Factor Investigations team after the battle with Hela in Las Vegas. He is trying to cope with his new acquired powers.

X-Men: First Class Character Profile: Darwin

Avatar image for StrongProtector
    StrongProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 1

Edited By StrongProtector
    No Caption Provided

I readily admit that I am one of the people that are waving their torch and pitchfork at the X-Men: First Class movie for its very liberal changes to what many of us see as the comic canon. I understand this is supposed to be a different universe and I know that movies are going to have to make changes to try to appeal to a larger audience, but mostly everything I’ve seen so far has me grinding my teeth when I go to bed at night. One change that I can live with though is the addition of Darwin to this team.

No Caption Provided

What makes Darwin compelling is his unique power in that it is not done by conscious thought, but instead as a “Reactive evolution or adaptation”. If Darwin is falling from a tremendous height, his body may turn to rubber to avoid injury, or if found in deep space, he may no longer need oxygen to breathe. But, with no way to control his power, Darwin often finds himself at the whim of his body and does not always evolve abilities that make him terribly useful to the team as he just finds a way to survive. The most notable example of this came up when the Hulk attacked the Xavier Institute in World War Hulk. When Darwin went to attack the Hulk, Darwin developed the ability to siphon off gamma energy. When the Hulk started producing more energy than even Darwin could handle though, his body felt the best defense would be to teleport him away from the battle.

== TEASER ==

Darwin was created by Ed Brubaker and Pete Woods and introduced back in 2006’s six-issue Deadly Genesis mini-series that explained how some of the original X-Men's memories of their fateful battle with Krakoa, a living island that feeds on mutant energies and trapped the original X-Men when they went to investigate it, were falsely planted by Professor Xavier and that in reality a second smaller ground of X-Men were used by Professor X to save the originals. Unfortunately, in the ensuing battle against Krakoa, of the four new X-Men Xavier sent, only Vulcan, the younger brother of Cyclops and Havok, and Darwin were able to survive. Darwin showed some of the lengths his powers would go to though by converting himself into pure energy that Vulcan absorbed and carried with him for years until Rachel Summers finally freed him. And due to this strong link to the original X-Men, I can live with him being a part of this origins movie.

No Caption Provided

The big question though is how big a role will he play in the movie. How will he be introduced to the team? It’s not like we’re going to see him take on Krakoa after all. In the comics, he is originally found by scientists who experimented on him before being rescued by Moira MacTaggert and brought into the fold to join the “Missing X-Men”, so will it be something as simple as being found by a Cerebro scan or will there actually be some flesh to his back story in the movie?

Also, I spent much of my Sunday morning digging for the single still you see at the beginning of this article that shows Darwin, played by Edi Gathegi, dunking his head in a fish tank in order to grow gills and demonstrate his power. With many of the commercials and trailers out there, we’ve never seen Darwin for more than a few seconds total between all of them and he isn't even on the movie poster! Is this because his power is too unpredictable and therefore Xavier keeps him behind most of the time until he can control it? Or is it that maybe a highlight of the movie will actually be seeing Darwin in action and Marvel Studios and 20th Century Fox actually don’t want to giveaway ALL the surprises of the movie, including how Darwin may solve some of the problems put before him?

Well, I know Darwin is one character I’m going to be looking to keep on eye out for, but what do you folks think? How much of Darwin will we actually see in the X-Men: First Class movie? How effective will his powers be as a part of the team? What weird adaptations might we look forward to? Let us know what you think with comments below!

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Cherry Bomb

I think it's a minor role, or kind of like a role Iceman had in the first X-Men movie .. in a couple of scenes but not too relevant. Although he is featured with the rest of the main team in this screencap of the trailer: 

No Caption Provided

So perhaps I'm wrong  (:    
    mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

its going to disappoint. he is actually one of the most interesting x-men created in recent years. the man can not die. in the rise and fall of the shi'ar empire arc, he was sucked in space. for many people, even an x-man, that is DEATH. this man stayed alive. same for deadly genesis. he is just going to be used as fodder for the film. fail for using one of the coolest x-men in years just to fill camera time

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PrinceIMC

I think his part will be small but important because he is not only a mutant but a black man during a time when racial intolerance was much more prevalent. I sort of expect him to tell the rest of the mutants that he knows what it's like to be feared or hated long before his mutant powers manifested.

00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By 00 Raiser

Maybe they should call it X-Men Summer Camp. First Class just sounds like a lie. I hope Green Lantern trashes them at the Box office.

Out_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Out_of_Space

It look like a trash that i spit on it

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Golden Cod

I have two opinions:

1- The comic fan in me thinks Darwin is a perfect choice considering his connection with Moira McTaggert.   His absence from the X-men lineup in X1 can be tidily explained by him departing with Moira (same with Banshee).

2- The cranky cynic in me says that he's only there as the token black guy.   

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been seeing a number of positive reviews from the international release of the film
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Darwin is one of the coolest characters I never heard of till a few weeks ago.

I'm glad people are gonna want to know who and what his powers are.
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Martian

I have absolutely no idea who this Darwin guy even is... =P

SupremoMaximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By SupremoMaximo
    @Golden Cod: "  2- The cranky cynic in me says that he's only there as the token black guy.   "

THIS.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Nice.
    I like how they're using some less mainstream mutants, but i guess people in general will complain about no Wolverine, Cyclops or Jean Grey.

BKole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By BKole

I am glad that theres no Wolverine, Cyclops or Jean. Banshee, Beast and Darwin are easily hundred times more interesting than those cash cows, especially considering how they're portrayed in the previous Movies. Jean Grey returns to back ground fainting 90's Cartoon role, Cyclops is "laser eyes leader man" and the square route of naff all else, and Wolverine is exactly what he is everywhere else - the focal point for crap plots.

This should hopefully give us a bit more meat on the X-Movie bones. Especially since the BS fest that was X-3 basically destroyed my desire to watch X-Men films.
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By Cherry Bomb
    @fesak said:

Nice. I like how they're using some less mainstream mutants, but i guess people in general will complain about no Wolverine, Cyclops or Jean Grey.

Yeah, I agree.  I like the use of Angel S and Darwin , they are interesting characters being played by good people ( Zoe Kravitz and Edi Gathegi) - plus, they're probably now gonna get more recognition in comics.  (:  and it's gonna be awesome to see their cool powers on screen. 
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14  Edited By SC  Moderator

Darwin is awesome, I am super excited to see him included in the movie, his theme, powers and history define him as extremely relevant to X-Men's broader themes. I am a fan of Edi Gathegi as well! 

That being said... an X-Factor movie >> X-Men movie *grin*
    Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fesak said:
    Nice. I like how they're using some less mainstream mutants, but i guess people in general will complain about no Wolverine, Cyclops or Jean Grey.
    I actually like the less mainstream mutants. I just think there are characters who could fit in with this cast better than Angel or Havok.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Bestostero

I would've been more excited if they stuck with Darwin, Petra, Sway, and Vulcan and built around that.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By goldenkey

I still have a strange feeling that this movie is going to be good enough that it's going to shut a lot of people up in the end. 
    Elenatintil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Elenatintil
    @SC said:
    Darwin is awesome, I am super excited to see him included in the movie, his theme, powers and history define him as extremely relevant to X-Men's broader themes. I am a fan of Edi Gathegi as well! 

That being said... an X-Factor movie >> X-Men movie *grin*

Amen to that! I think an X-Factor movie would be awesome and far more likely to turn out well than any X-Men film. Small defined cast with a limited range of canon stories that they could actually tell on screen... *tries to keep from dreaming too much*
    spystreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By spystreak
    @Elenatintil
    I'd rather see an X-factor movie as well as long as it has Cable in it done right
    Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#20  Edited By The Impersonator

Darwin's a cool character. I like to see him evolve in the movie.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NightFang3
    @mr.obvious said:
    I have absolutely no idea who this Darwin guy even is... =P
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By JonesDeini
    @PrinceIMC said:
    I think his part will be small but important because he is not only a mutant but a black man during a time when racial intolerance was much more prevalent. I sort of expect him to tell the rest of the mutants that he knows what it's like to be feared or hated long before his mutant powers manifested.
    I'm sure he'll be used to handle all the black stuff in the movie as well. I just hope he's not the generic token...I really feel like that's how they're going to play it though. 
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

In truth Darwin was the thing that first stood out to me when I first saw the X-Men: First Class trailer.  Honestly.  So I'm interested to see how he will be handled.

Captainthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Captainthunder

Looks like a cool character but he is named after one of the world's famous ignorant non believer.

Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wise Son
    @Captainthunder: That's debatable. I think he was amply named however. Darwin is the father of evolution, so to speak. Darwin (comic) ability allows him to undergo flash evolution in order to insure his survival. See the connection? It would have been stupid if he was named "Evolving Lad" or some ridiculous horse sh@! like that.
    Walker696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Walker696

First of I want to say that I have lost all hope for any character outside of Wolverine be portrayed well in any of these movies(they even messed him up). Now when you take a character like Darwin who lets be real has infinite potential due to his powers and put him into a franchise that cares more about sales then they do about keeping true to stories and real comic fans then my expectations are less then 0.000003 for how good his character will be in the movie. Taken into account (somebody mentioned this already), he's the token black guy on the team and lets be honest outside of Blade, Marvel pretty much makes all the black characters badly, so I'm not really looking forward to them killing another one of my favs.........heaven help us if they grow a pair and try to make a Luke Cage movie

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Skaddix

Marvel does blade bad in the comics. They do pretty much all minority males bad in the comics though.

weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By weaponmaster

Could you have found a worse headline picture? Reprehensible.

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

the perfect mutant with the perfect power

cennobite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cennobite

Will be interesting to see apart from growing gills what else will they show him adapting to, him having wings, becoming stronger, does he really have limits, could he be blown up. In the comics he survived Hela's death touch now that's impressive. Even been riddled with bullets and attacked by a dragon didn't phase him. 

Avatar image for thestepfordcuckoos
    thestepfordcuckoos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Walker696: I don't think Edi/Darwin will be the token Black character as I think he'll leave the team before that because as you can see when Shaw gives them a choose Angel may leave (or will leave) and maybe Darwin will think that maybe this isn't for him (the war). Plus when your mind has to go to think that their always a "token" character then you know theirs something wrong with it. Just set back and watch the movie and then talk about it.
    Walker696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Walker696
    @thestepfordcuckoos: honestly I really want this movie to be good, I love marvel and regardless of how much I complain about them I still go and see each and every one of their movies. As for my token black guy statement, that wasn't an opinion it was a factual statement. Companies will through different races in a movie (not just blacks) so nobody complains about them being racist. I mean look at Thor, none of the Norse gods are black yet they through Idris Elba in for no reason. By no means am I saying don't have blacks in the movies, just don't toss in random ones out the blue. I would love to see a Luke Cage movie, or a Blue Marvel movie, to be honest I wanted to see John Stewart in Green Lantern more then Hal Jordan. I just don't want Darwin's character to just be thrown out there just for namesake like so many other characters.
    thestepfordcuckoos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Walker696: Okay I understand what your saying but still Norse myth is still different from something that is based with "humans" in a comic movie and I would also love see those two movies and I do know that their is a point were writers and producers and directs what to reach other other people but I do think that their is a point to having Armando/ Darwinin the movie and it's not because he's black because Angel/ Tempestis also black too (and that being said both characters are actually Afro-Latino). But anyways, I do think that Darwin was thrown into the movie more because of his mutation. He's basically a mutant that keeps on evolving which could possibly be a core study and base of the Professors research.
    Walker696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Walker696
    @thestepfordcuckoos: I agree with your points as well, I just want him to actually have a good role not because of his race but simply because I like his character. He has a lot of potential if they use him the right way. I don't really mind the rewrites as long as they are told well and actually make sense. I guess I've been really hard on Marvel since Wolverine: Origins. Since then I've had a bone to pick with them. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for X-Men and hopefully they won't toss good characters in simply to fill in spots.
    thestepfordcuckoos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed too because Angel Salvadore and Emma Frost are two of my top five marvel characters and I would hate anything else then they deserve to come by them and that can also be said about the other characters of the movie. I do really feel as strong as you about this and I really hope it goes well though I hate the whole Emma diamond for it was much better in Wolverine Origins. XD

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Agent Buttons
    @Walker696 said:
    @thestepfordcuckoos: I agree with your points as well, I just want him to actually have a good role not because of his race but simply because I like his character. He has a lot of potential if they use him the right way. I don't really mind the rewrites as long as they are told well and actually make sense. I guess I've been really hard on Marvel since Wolverine: Origins. Since then I've had a bone to pick with them. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for X-Men and hopefully they won't toss good characters in simply to fill in spots.
    Prepare to be disappointed.
    thestepfordcuckoos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Agent Buttons: Oh I was. I can't even believe that happened. I dyed a little bet in the inside. But I'm hoping that something in the next film will reboot that whole thing. PLEASE HERE FIRST CLASS WRITES!
    Walker696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Walker696
    @thestepfordcuckoos: @Agent Buttons: I was really disappointed with what happened, I actually saw a few people walk out after it happened cause of how random it was.
    Mpact_1300M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mpact_1300M

Sigh..... Why?! I am pissed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.