gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Vader is simply a man of action. Still suffering from the slap on the wrist from the Emperor after the Rebel Alliance managed to find a way to destroy the Death Star, Vader manages to accomplish what he sets out to. The fact that someone of his rank is allowed to go out in his fighter during Rebel attacks is a testament to this. You would think he wouldn't be needed to deal with minor details but you know part of him relishes in the act of taking out his targets himself.

The Emperor has placed Vader with Grand General Tagge, something you know Vader will despise. Tagge even assigns an adjutant to Vader to report back on all of his activities. Hmm. Aside from dealing with this new development, Vader tasks himself to track down some Rebels that have stolen some cargo from the Empire. We get to see Vader work in a different manner. It's moments like this we didn't really get to see in the movies. There is something fascinating in seeing this less direct approach Vader takes.

Salvador Larroca and Edgar Delgado continue their top notch art and colors. Everything looks as it should, from TIE Fighters, to Stormtroopers, to Droidekas. Because Star Wars means so much to so many, you want the look of it to be just right. It's what the franchise deserves.

The Bad

Seeing Vader deal with a problem in a different fashion was interesting. It did feel a little beneath him. But it does show how he's willing to do what he wants and feels is necessary despite what any of his superiors may feel. There is plenty of action between the ships and Stormtroopers. It just felt like we didn't get to see enough of Vader front and center during it. While we shouldn't expect to see every single story thread each and every issue, there was no development of Vader's side plan with Boba Fett and Black Krrsantan.

The Verdict

You don't want to mess with Darth Vader. We're seeing a moment in Vader's life that hasn't been explored before. After the events of Episode IV, Vader has to tread carefully with the Emperor. Seeing how he deals with his new placement is fascinating even if it feels a little out of character. Kieron Gillen is showing us more of who Darth Vader is and what he's capable of. He doesn't have to Force choke everyone just to get his way. Salvador Larroca continues to squeeze out emotion and characterization in Vader despite being a character wearing a cold and simple mask. We're seeing Vader is willing to make plays for the long run and there's no stopping him from getting his own way. Don't get on Darth Vader's bad side. Be sure to pick up this book.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

"There was no mention of Vader's side plan with Boba Fett and Black Krrsantan."

No Caption Provided

I wouldn't say no mention. Boba is doing his thing and Vader his.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I really enjoyed this issue.

Mojo65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I liked those upgraded Droideka's, they were always the coolest of the Battle Droid types.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

The story is fine and the artwork is so good.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I guess Boba Fett finally decided he needed himself a Wookie sidekick too. Maybe Black Krrsantan can catch him next time he falls into a Sarlacc pit. :P

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Another great issue. This series is going places.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 owie  Moderator

Good issue, I liked how Vader didn't let himself get disrespected. But why is it that people have such trouble drawing Vader's mask, and Stormtroopers? It's a problem both here and in the main title.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Vader's mask was really well drawn, even if it was traced (sorry, only repeating rumors I've heard!)

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I was a little put out with Vader being treated as a subordinate, but this issue put him back on top with an extra kick to boot. Never a good idea to ask too many questions of Darth Vader, apparently.

Very interested in what happens going forward. Cool review.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.