Why didn't Darth Vader ever attempt to kill the Emporer?

#1 Posted by Jeronimo (699 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Obi-Wan cut off Anakin's cajones too? 

Why didn't Vader ever take a stab at the Emporer himself? Once Padme was dead, Anakin had no use for Sidious. 

Anakin > Dooku > Windu > Sidious in lightsaber duels. 

#2 Edited by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio

Because George Lucas is a hack. Also, the emperor was leading him on with the promise of teaching him how to raise the dead(his mother) with the force, so it makes sense if you think of it that way (but it also makes Anakin a gullible subordinate). Did I mention that George Lucas is a hack?

#3 Posted by Duncan (11445 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing I can think of is fear for the emperor. Or he had more to teach Vader about the ways of the dark side.

#4 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

My Dad had always told me that the emperor was keeping him alive, so vader died when the emperor died

#5 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jeronimo:  Because he had nothing left for him than the Republic. We know that he believed in the Republic but was disappointed with diplomacy because of the slave situation and wars and such. He wanted somebody to make people do " what is best for them". My guess is he thought the Emperor was the best shot. Although if you notice he was always inviting people to join him in overpowering the Emperor and ruling the universe. - Deep down he knew the Emperor was evil. - He just didn't want to do things alone, I guess. If you think about it he always had support in his live to make decisions. Qui-gon, Amidala, Obi-Wan... and he only finally confronted the Emperor because of Luke. He needed someone supporting, motivating him to action. 
#6 Edited by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

Ummm....he did kill the Emperor.  Ever see the end of Jedi?

#7 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@primepower53 said:
"

My Dad had always told me that the emperor was keeping him alive, so vader died when the emperor died

"
You're Dad was wrong.
#8 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

Because The Emperor Promised he'd teach him how to keep people from dying... Then they both Magically Forgot at the End of Episode III.
#9 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10720 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Vader need some one to study the force and know how to beat dead.

#10 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7822 posts) - - Show Bio

Well after making an ass out of himself and allowing Windu to die, killing all those young padawans, fighting Obi-wan to near death, and THEN Padme still dieing he might as well just stay at the emperors side.
Plus Vader didn't want none of the Emperor. The Emperor would stomp Vader easily. It cost him his life when he killed him in ROTJ.

#11 Posted by Joey Ravn (385 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jeronimo said:
" Did Obi-Wan cut off Anakin's cajones too"
For future reference, in Spanish: cajones = drawers, cojones = balls. 

:P
#12 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085:
So he just happened to die right as the emperor died? That always confused me.  
But this is just what I grew up with.
#13 Posted by JoeyArnold (3 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin: over 20 years passes before Vader took out the Emperor trash. Why the wait?
#14 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoeyArnold:

Vader was weak, his suit was keeping him alive something the Emperor could have easily exploited. A little bit of force lightning goes a long way to shorting out a life-support system...like the end of Jedi.
#15 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the Emperor is about eight times stronger than Vader was at his prime? Vader's connection to the Force was greatly weakened after he lost his physical body, not to mention that he had no reason to try and prevent people from dying since he knew Padme would never forgive him for "killing her". The Emperor was the only thing he had left, his only friend in the world, why would he kill him? It was only when he discovered that he had a son that he saw the Emperor as the disease he really was.

#16 Posted by JoeyArnold (3 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  But why or how does Anakin Skywalker's accident, losing his limbs, weaken his force, or his ability to use the force, or his ability to learn more of the force, because isn't the force a matter of the mind, or of believe, and not dependent on matter, on size, on physical things, on Anakin's physical body, right?
#17 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

then there would never have been a story.
#18 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoeyArnold said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt:  But why or how does Anakin Skywalker's accident, losing his limbs, weaken his force, or his ability to use the force, or his ability to learn more of the force, because isn't the force a matter of the mind, or of believe, and not dependent on matter, on size, on physical things, on Anakin's physical body, right? "
Due to the nature of the Midi-chlorians (which are living beings inside living tissue) acting as a conduit for the Force, Anakin could no longer use any Force attack that was channeled through the hands (ala Force Lightning). The loss of much of his living tissue greatly diminished his force abilities, since the number of his Midi-chlorians was the reason for his immense power to begin with. Unlike someone like Yoda, Luke or the Emperor, whose connection to the Force was based more on belief and learned ability than natural talent.Ergo, when Anakin lost his birth-given advantage, he was crippled in terms of Force Power. 
It should be noted that even at his prime he wasn't the most powerful being anyway. A tired and emotionally devastated Obi-Wan Kenobi was able to match him in Force Ability and defeat him in Lightsaber combat.
#19 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @JoeyArnold said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt:  But why or how does Anakin Skywalker's accident, losing his limbs, weaken his force, or his ability to use the force, or his ability to learn more of the force, because isn't the force a matter of the mind, or of believe, and not dependent on matter, on size, on physical things, on Anakin's physical body, right? "
Because George Lucas is a hack. "
Fixed it for you. :P
#20 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @JoeyArnold said:
Because George Lucas is a hack. "
Fixed it for you. :P "
Haha, too damn true, mate. 

But the EU stuff (everything not written by Lucas or in the Force Unleashed) is fantastic ^_^
#21 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: I'll take your word for it since I haven't read any of it. Though from what I gather, there is just as revolt among the fans about some writers messing up EU as Lucas messing up prequels.
#22 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom:  Yeah, that's true, but that's largely aimed at the storyline "Dark Empire" (Luke goes evil for practically no reason at all, the Emperor is cloned, Boba Fett is revealed to be alive). All kinds of stuff that makes you go O_O 

But for the most part, the EU is good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.