Vader: Unstoppable?

Posted by snootchie_bootchies (131 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking about this the other day. If Vader hadn't have done what he did at the end of Return of the Jedi by killing Emperor Palpatine, could Vader have gone on the be unstoppable? 
  Looking back through all six movies, Vader, or Anakin has lost only twice. Once to Obi-Wan when he was all but decapitated in Episode 3 and again to his own son Luke near the end of Episode 6. 
  But Vader could have easily slain Luke and returned to Palpatine's side to rule over the galaxy. With his killing spree of younglings and other Jedi, combined with his rage and mastery of his dark side powers, Vader could've gone on to be unstoppable. 
  Now this doesn't take into account of other media such as comics and novels, just the movies.  
  Jay says yes. Brad says no. But I want to know what everyone else thinks. Thoughts? Comments? Go!

#1 Posted by Hellos (8914 posts) - - Show Bio
@snootchie_bootchies said:
"  I was thinking about this the other day. If Vader hadn't have done what he did at the end of Return of the Jedi by killing Emperor Palpatine, could Vader have gone on the be unstoppable?   Looking back through all six movies, Vader, or Anakin has lost only twice. Once to Obi-Wan when he was all but decapitated in Episode 3 and again to his own son Luke near the end of Episode 6.   But Vader could have easily slain Luke and returned to Palpatine's side to rule over the galaxy. With his killing spree of younglings and other Jedi, combined with his rage and mastery of his dark side powers, Vader could've gone on to be unstoppable.   Now this doesn't take into account of other media such as comics and novels, just the movies.    Jay says yes. Brad says no. But I want to know what everyone else thinks. Thoughts? Comments? Go! "

Seem to be forgetting Dooku beating him and Kenobi at the same time.  
Sure by the time Revenge of the Sith takes place Anakin was able to pull off a win, he still wouldn't have been a match for lets say Windu or Yoda IMO. 
That and Sidious wouldn't have been all that easy to get rid off(Unless your just counting movies, therefore bottemless shaft FTW).

Anakin was a bit on the cocky one character dimensional side in the third film and if he hadn't recklessly jumped right into Kenobi to be turned into a cripple he still would have been stuck. Kenobi won that fight. 
That and SW is big on the villians going down to the heroes, so he would have eventually gone down.
#2 Edited by PumpkinBomb (493 posts) - - Show Bio
@snootchie_bootchies said:

"Looking back through all six movies, Vader, or Anakin has lost only twice. Once to Obi-Wan when he was all but decapitated in Episode 3 and again to his own son Luke near the end of Episode 6."

Losing three out of six on-screen lightsaber duels isn't that impressive, when you come to think of it. Nobody else has lost as humiliatingly as he has, either.
#3 Posted by Ethan Starks (2815 posts) - - Show Bio
@PumpkinBomb: Except Mace.
#4 Edited by PumpkinBomb (493 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ethan Starks: 
I don't think it gets more humiliating than Obi-Wan warning you not to jump upwards at him, you doing it anyways, and him cutting off all your limbs in one stroke. 
Mace didn't lose because he was an idiot.
#5 Posted by Pacperson (307 posts) - - Show Bio
@PumpkinBomb:
Hahaha So true

Movie Vader never seemed like the best dualist....Maybe even Old obi-wan could have beat him if he didn't give up =p
#6 Posted by Ethan Starks (2815 posts) - - Show Bio
@PumpkinBomb: Fact of the matter is, Anakin survived, Mace didn't, plus he got his hand chopped off, electrocuted then thrown out of a window. Pretty laughable if you ask me.
#7 Posted by Hellos (8914 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ethan Starks said:
" @PumpkinBomb: Fact of the matter is, Anakin survived, Mace didn't, plus he got his hand chopped off, electrocuted then thrown out of a window. Pretty laughable if you ask me. "

But like mentioned before it wasn't due to his own idiocy. Anakin happily drunk off his own power jumps right into Kenobi to be one shotted and left for dead as he was lift on fire. That was a pretty humiliating loss. 
Windu on the other hand has the Sith responsible for all the galaxie's troubles at the tip of his light saber and what prevented his victory was betrayal, not stupidity.
#8 Posted by Jayso4201 (597 posts) - - Show Bio

Vader
Anakin was the chosen one, it was said he would bring balance to the force, and he did.  He set it at zero, it was like he hit the reset button and started the whole Jedi Order over!  Luke had to start from scratch in building his Order.  And when it can to fighting no one could best him the only reason Obi did was because he let his anger and arrogance get the best of him, the only reason Luke beat him was because he let him. We saw what happened in ESB, Vader kicked the crap out of Luke, and if Luke hadn't tried to commit suicide, he would've killed him.  Luke was successful in turning him back, but only so he could sacrifice himself to save his son (which we all would do, no matter how evil we are).  Is it me or is Vader just Jesus placed a long time ago in a galaxy far far away?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.