The National Cathedral Is Strong With The Dark Side

Posted by inferiorego (28309 posts) - - Show Bio

See anything mildly ridiculous? No, your eyes aren't playing tricks with you. That really is the head of Darth Vader on Washington DC's National Cathedral. Slashfilm reported on this early this morning and the temptation to repost was too great. At first, I thought this was some sort of weird vandalism, but this gigantic church, located in Washington, D.C., put the visage of Anakin Skywalker up there themselves, a few decades ago.  

In the 1980s, while the west towers were under construction, Washington National Cathedral held a decorative sculpture competition for children. Word of the competition was spread nationwide through National Geographic WorldMagazine. The third-place winner was Christopher Rader, with his drawing of that fearful villain, Darth Vader. The fierce head was sculpted by Jay Hall Carpenter, carved by Patrick J. Plunkett, and placed high upon the northwest tower of the Cathedral.

It's pretty small though and the National Cathedral's website actually has a printable brochure to help visitors find the Vader-head on the church. 

That being said, what other national monuments or famous buildings should be "nerded up?" My vote goes to the Washington Monument, which should be one of the legs of Stilt-Man.
#1 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2529 posts) - - Show Bio

Or the leaning tower of Pisa for stilt-man!
#2 Posted by crazed_h3ro (995 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW!!! thats really...somthing. ^_^
#3 Posted by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks like it would be fun to climb.

#4 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool. I never thought Darth Vader would be on the wall of a cathedral.
#5 Posted by Mr Bubbles (147 posts) - - Show Bio

That's cool

#6 Posted by LordX1095 (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha, that is cool... 

As for what should be   "nerded up" I vote a statue of Stan Lee somewhere on/in the Vatican Church. 

Or maybe Namor somewhere on the Empire State Building; just glaring down at the city =P

#7 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2529 posts) - - Show Bio
@LordX1095 said:
"Ha, that is cool...  As for what should be   "nerded up" I vote a statue of Stan Lee somewhere on/in the Vatican Church.  Or maybe Namor somewhere on the Empire State Building; just glaring down at the city =P "

Not the Vatican but like the tallest building in the world gets turned into galactus
#8 Posted by Alphaproto (349 posts) - - Show Bio
@LordX1095:
I like the Namor idea.
#9 Posted by drawme (423 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny. 
I want to see Spider-Man on top of the Eiffel Tower.

#10 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they should put Magento on Mt. Rushmore next to ALF, Batman and Homer Simpson
#11 Posted by Decept-O (7294 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not use the Grey Gargoyle as well....a Gargoyle on a building?   Replace the ones on the Chrysler Building.     I like the Stilt-Man idea.....
#12 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio

It's funny. This very picture was just shown on the Discovery Channel.

#13 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7965 posts) - - Show Bio

lol nice

#14 Posted by NightFang (10271 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW. this is so wired.

#15 Posted by Bruce Vain (1781 posts) - - Show Bio

Should've been the skull of the Punisher since he originally thought of being a priest Ha Ha
#16 Posted by crazywolf (625 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang said:
"WOW. this is so wired. "

lol yeah I was completely surprised when I saw that picture. Grey Gargoyle and Gargoyle (Isaac Christians) would look cool on the Chrysler Building with the other gargoyles.
#17 Posted by Koeil (256 posts) - - Show Bio

Badass

#18 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting to see...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.