Follow

Darth Vader

Character » Darth Vader appears in 1467 issues.

Once a heroic Jedi Knight known as Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader was seduced by the dark side and became a dark Lord of the Sith. After severe injuries at the hands of Obi-Wan Kenobi, locking him in a metal suit, Vader would go on to terrorize the galaxy. Under the apprenticeship of Darth Sidious, Vader served as a powerful enforcer for the Galactic Empire and hunted down any surviving Jedi after Order 66. However, in spite of everything he had done, there were still remnants of good in him.

Star Wars Confirmed For Blu-ray Fall 2011

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

George Lucas, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill make the announcement.
     George Lucas, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill make the announcement.
    There has been rumblings but today it was confirmed that for the for the first time ever, the Force will be with you on Blu-ray. Yes, we've had the Clone Wars series on Cartoon Network on Blu-ray but I'm talking about the original movies. 

At Star Wars Celebration V, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment announced that the complete Star Wars Saga will come to Blu-ray with a worldwide release in Fall 2011. The Star Wars Blu-ray Box Set will feature all six live-action feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with extensive special features - including documentaries, vintage behind-the-scenes moments, interviews, retrospectives and never-before-seen footage from the Lucasfilm archives. 

How can there possibly be "never-before-seen" footage? Check out this scene of Luke building his lightsaber in Return of the Jedi: 
     == TEASER == 

I don't know about you but stuff like this will guarantee I will be buying this box set. I'm sure there will be complaints about yet another re-release of the movies. It's all simply, if you don't like the idea, just don't buy it. Why bother to complain? Since I am a huge Star Wars fan, there's no way I could not own these movies on Blu-ray. I don't care that I have them on DVD and a couple versions on VHS. We're talking Blu-ray here. And as George Lucas himself put it today: 

Blu-ray is the absolute best way to experience Star Wars at home – in pristine high definition. “The films have never looked or sounded better.  

We're also talking Fall 2011. That's a year from now. Start putting aside a few bucks each month and by the time you're able to buy the set, you'll have the money ready. I cannot wait.
    Avatar image for graphiccasualfreak
    GraphicCasualFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

Oh Star Wars, how I remember you so well.  Too bad I have the DVD collection and there is NO WAY ole Georgie boy is getting any more of my cash.  I'll wait for the Digital Distribution version in 2015 with 3D. Lol! 

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By IrishX
    @GraphicCasualFreak said:

"Oh Star Wars, how I remember you so well.  Too bad I have the DVD collection and there is NO WAY ole Georgie boy is getting any more of my cash.  I'll wait for the Digital Distribution version in 2015 with 3D. Lol!  "

Agreed. I am buying Blu-Ray now but anything I already have on DVD I won't be replacing. 

That video is damn cool though.
    Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Yumulu

" Oh Star Wars, how I remember you so well.  Too bad I have the DVD collection and there is NO WAY ole Georgie boy is getting any more of my cash.  I'll wait for the Digital Distribution version in 2015 with 3D. Lol!  "

I'll wait for the 2020 release in 3D HD .. or something.
     I got 2 editions in VHS and 1 in dvd so pass for me.
    Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Duo_forbidden

Damn, 2011? I'm tempted to just buy them on DVD now, but then again, Spike Tv show the series like once a month now lol.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cmaprice

No Caption Provided
    I just know George won't be able to resist a "3-D" release where CG ewoks come out of the screen and hump the viewer.

e.g.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6  Edited By sora_thekey

Well I don't have all of the movies in DVD... so if I buy this then my collection is set!
    Decided: I am buying this!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#7  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I already have all six on DVD, I love Star Wars, but I'm not buying the whole set again.

CoolHand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CoolHand

Yea, like a bunch of you, I have it all on DVD. 

The selling point for me would've been if they included different versions INSTEAD OF JUST AND ONLY THE SPECIAL EDITIONS!

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cmaprice

Also, am I the only one who thinks that extra footage is useless? It detracts from the sense of the first 10 minutes on Tatooine where you're all like, "Where's Luke and what's he up to?" and the satisfaction when you see his new lightsaber for the first time during an awesome action sequence where he seems to be a new man. This scene detracts from the feeling of isolation we feel as the droids make their way to Jabba's palace.

It doesn't give us any new relevant info, unlike when they added the Jabba scene back into A New Hope. All it does is create redundancies. We know Vader's looking for Luke. This scene's just a repeat of the end of The Empire Strikes Back. Redundant. And we know Luke built a new lightsaber-- by the fact that it's a previously unseen lightsaber belonging to Luke. This is the sort of footage that gets cut for a very good reason. Its inclusion hurts the film.

robokungfu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By robokungfu

OH, what's that?  No original versions?  Yeah, I'll go watch my disintegrating VHS tapes instead.  When you get an HD release for the originals get back to me, Lucas.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Dammit, who let George out of his cage?!

Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Big

Dude, Carrie Fisher looks like a grandmother! :p *buzz-kill*
    Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Big

For the next installmen of "Star Wars," Carrie Fisher will play Jabba-the-Hut.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Hey, if the Blu-ray has an option that removes Jar-Jar from the movie as an option. I see that as a bonus point.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    " Hey, if the Blu-ray has an option that removes EVERYTHING FROM THE PREQUELS from the movie as an option. I see that as a bonus point. "
    Fixed it. 

I'm not spending $40 just to see Luke build a lightsaber. Besides, everytime Star Wars gets released, Lucas finds new and more technilogically advanced ways to rape his creation, so, no thanks.
    AxlReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AxlReznor
    @cmaprice said:
    "Also, am I the only one who thinks that extra footage is useless? It detracts from the sense of the first 10 minutes on Tatooine where you're all like, "Where's Luke and what's he up to?" and the satisfaction when you see his new lightsaber for the first time during an awesome action sequence where he seems to be a new man. This scene detracts from the feeling of isolation we feel as the droids make their way to Jabba's palace.  It doesn't give us any new relevant info, unlike when they added the Jabba scene back into A New Hope. All it does is create redundancies. We know Vader's looking for Luke. This scene's just a repeat of the end of The Empire Strikes Back. Redundant. And we know Luke built a new lightsaber-- by the fact that it's a previously unseen lightsaber belonging to Luke. This is the sort of footage that gets cut for a very good reason. Its inclusion hurts the film. " 

It won't be in the film. It will be in the bonus features. Lucas said this at the same time as showing the scene.
    dxtreme27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dxtreme27

Seen each one about 5 times, but once more with bluray couldn't hurt.  Could it?

SnottyCane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SnottyCane

this is the last thing they can ever do surley??

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I've got all six, even though I'm a huge Star Wars freak I made the decision not to start re-buying my DVD collection in Blu-ray a long time ago, this will be no exception. If I really want to see these deleted scenes I'l go to youtube.

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20  Edited By The Jeff

why are people so stingy about this? It's Star Wars! Come on, this is the movie of movies. I own it on DVD and 2 VHS sets and on day one where will I be? Well, I know I will have graduated college by then, but I know where ever I live, I will be at Best Buy buying this set.  I know it gets constantly tinkered with but sometimes it's for the better. If Lucas makes all the space battles cgi so they blend together, I'm ok with that but don't kill the flow and how it matches up with the score.  If a few mistakes (lightsabers etc) are fixed, cool too. I just hope he uses the force and has Han Shoot first! oh and does anyone want a free copy of the PT on BD? I will be giving mine away on day one

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Jeff: They're not being stingey, they just don't like their favourite film being raped by a cashmongering douche. Eg: Hayden Christensen appearing in ROTJ.
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @The Jeff said:
    "...If Lucas makes all the space battles cgi so they blend together, I'm ok with that but don't kill the flow and how it matches up with the score... "
    Please leave the building.
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eyz

I don't even own a bluray player and I'm kinda interested in this :P

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Bluerays are awseome if the film is filmed in blueray, if its a conversion more often than not its not worth the money anyways.

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By N7_Normandy

finally

CiaranStatham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CiaranStatham
    @The Jeff:
    Yeah, it's Star Wars. In another twenty freaking years it won't even remotely resemble the films we got in the seventies and eighties, Lucas will have raped it that much.  

Seriously, was it necessary to change freaking Boba Fett's voice to that of his Dad's? Does Lucas not know accent is not one of the things you inherit from your parents?
    leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By leokearon

In this version, Greedo and Han don't fire at all, instead Greedo dies of bad booze,
    cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cmaprice
    @leokearon said:

" In this version, Greedo and Han don't fire at all, instead Greedo dies of bad booze, "

Or smoking too many "death sticks."

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mumbles

star wars nerds can buy the same crap over again, yay! but wait! it's blu-ray. OMGZ!

Dipic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dipic
    @Mumbles said:
    " star wars nerds can buy the same crap over again, yay! but wait! it's blu-ray. OMGZ! "
    Fail troll.
    roxamilli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By roxamilli

Seriously?! How much more money do they want from one franchise. Think of all the hardcore fans that already have all of them on VHS, DVD, and probably online boootlegs.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By goldenkey

high def backfires sometimes if you ask me.  You see the makeup on peoples faces, zits,  nasty shit.  It's way better with CGI and animated mvoies like Toy Story, but for a lot movies it makes people just ugly.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By goldenkey
    @Big:
    she's gonna have Jabba chained up this time while she sits there and eats frogs.
    grifter78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 159

#34  Edited By grifter78

Wow, George Lucas is forcing me to buy a Blu-Ray player.

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

"Oh Star Wars, how I remember you so well.  Too bad I have the DVD collection and there is NO WAY ole Georgie boy is getting any more of my cash.  I'll wait for the Digital Distribution version in 2015 with 3D. Lol!  "

I agree! I might wait until the price is reasonably affordable or on sale...but I already have it all on DVD. I can't see spending the money on the extras. I spend money on cake, not the icing on the cake...
    TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TadThuggish

This is not a newly-filmed scene Lucas created.  It was shot during the production of Return of the Jedi.  Many of the original Star Wars films have lots of deleted scenes never before seen, to be included on this blu-ray.  If you go "NUH UH!!!" then just type it into your Google searchbar.  Not hard.

Basically this further proves my point that no one thinks about Star Wars, or film, logically.  They just do and say the things that they think will look cool to others.  Hating the popular thing is the new popular thing, rendering the thing everyone loves the thing nobody loves.  Which somehow gets hate for being that thing everyone loves.  Star Wars can't be "made solely for kids!" if even the kids are saying it.

wooodude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By wooodude1
    @Big said:
    "
    For the next installmen of "Star Wars," Carrie Fisher will play Jabba-the-Hut.
    No Caption Provided
    "
    NICE!.....how did she lose that fat.
    SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By SpidermanWins

PLEASE REMAKE BOBA FETTS "DEATH" OH PLEASE!

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @SpidermanWins: Why would you want them to do that?
    SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By SpidermanWins

because he was killed  by a blind han solo accidentally hitting him with a stick, gotta give him a more epic death, he is the best bounty hunter in the GALAXY supposedly.

AxlReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AxlReznor

Why is it when every other classic movie is announced for BluRay, people are excited. But when it's Star Wars, it's Lucas ripping us off?    
    logan48227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By logan48227
    @CiaranStatham:
    It actually makes sense for Boba to sound like Jango because Boba's just an unaltered clone of Jango. He was given to Jango to raise as his own by the cloners.
    Avatar image for gambitpryde1993
    gambitpryde1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By gambitpryde1993

Can't wait. I'm gonna get the old ones in Blu Ray. Already have Revenge of the Sith and Attack of the Clones for DVD.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.