Live-Action Star Wars TV Series Casting Has Started

Posted by G-Man (34953 posts) - - Show Bio
There's been talk of a live-action Star Wars television series pretty much since the last movie.  Years ago, the idea would have been unheard of.  With the success of recent sci-fi television shows such as "Firefly" and the current "Battlestar Galactica" it's been shown that they can be done and done properly.

MTV has recently reported that the casting for the live-action show is already underway.  Lucas has stated that the show will take place in between "Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith" and "Episode IV: A New Hope."  It will deal with the Rebel Alliance in its early stages as they rise to power against the Empire.  Supposedly there will be Stormtroopers but no sign of any Jedi, including Darth Vader.  Lucas plans on filming an entire season of episodes before shopping around for a channel to show it.  Apparently Lucas has also described the show as "Deadwood meets the Sopranos in space."

I have to say that I can't wait for this.  I love the Clone Wars show on Cartoon Network but this could be something.  We haven't really seen the period between the third and fourth movie.  The nice thing about this is hopefully we won't see a whiney teenage Luke complaining about wanting to hang out with his friends.  I was afraid it'd turn out to be more like "Star Wars meets the Hills."  I'm not crazy that we'll have to wait until after a full year's worth of shooting but that should mean we'll at least get a good start when it does begin to air.
Staff
#1 Posted by inferiorego (25613 posts) - - Show Bio

"Deadwood meets the Sopranos in space."

So... let me get this straight... Really violent... lots of swearing... space... Frak....

I wonder if Darth Vader will own a space strip club?

Staff
#2 Posted by Kurrent (14070 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
""Deadwood meets the Sopranos in space."

So... let me get this straight... Really violent... lots of swearing... space... Frak....

I wonder if Darth Vader will own a space strip club?
"
Frak......LOL maybe we'll see some cylons
#3 Posted by TheDrifter (26556 posts) - - Show Bio

wtf?

#4 Posted by King Saturn (224286 posts) - - Show Bio
It would be funny to hear Darth Vader cursing out Imperial Guards and Stormtroopers
#5 Posted by G-Man (34953 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought there'd be more...excitement over this. 

Staff
#6 Posted by Legacy_ (10610 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"I thought there'd be more...excitement over this. 
"

How about this...

YAY!!!!
#7 Posted by TheDrifter (26556 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"
I love Star Wars and would be totally excited but this...

?

My interest is lost.

#8 Posted by Giuseppe Riccadonna (2071 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet!

#9 Posted by G-Man (34953 posts) - - Show Bio
Closure said:
"G-Man said:
"

How about this...

YAY!!!!"
Mmmmm....getting better.
Staff
#10 Posted by Paragon (7293 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:

So... excessive use of the C word and C-sucker? Cause that's what I really got out of Deadwood. Cowboys with wicked moustaches and and a love for drinking and swearing...
#11 Posted by inferiorego (25613 posts) - - Show Bio

For me, Star Wars died when Ewok Adventure was released....

Staff
#12 Posted by King Saturn (224286 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
"For me, Star Wars died when Ewok Adventure was released....
"
Ha Ha Ha
#13 Posted by ramitch666 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

This could be great if Lucas has nothing to do with it.

#14 Posted by SUNMAN (7239 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
"For me, Star Wars died when Ewok Adventure was released....
"
I do not know when it died for me. The original 3 movies were great. (a.k.a numba 3, 4 and 5) and Star Wars has had some great videogames. I think the new trilogy and other media in the last decade killed it for me.

ramitch666 said:
"This could be great if Lucas has nothing to do with it."
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

But if I hear some good reviews for this show I may watch it.
#15 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I was never that excited about the Rebels or Stormtroopers. No Jedi? No Vader? Meh, I'll pass.

#16 Posted by zero edge (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

lmfao that's an awesome picture

#17 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

#18 Posted by Alexander Anderson (4030 posts) - - Show Bio

Lucas is a terrible screenwriter.  I have serious doubts about his ability to do a more stripped down, gritty, dramatic vision of Star Wars, as this show seems to be.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a more down-to-earth Star Wars with no Jedi and more hardcore adventure, but I doubt Lucas' ability to pull it off effectively.

#19 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe, just maybe....

#20 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

If there isn't any Jedi or Sith then I'll not like it that much. I heard rumour that Darth Vader's secret apprentice from "Force Unleashed" is going to be on the show in an episode so the Jedi and Sith may join the show later on.

What I'd love to see, is a Sith kill Clone Troopers in the Clone Wars or a Sith kill a Rebel Trooper in the Galactic Civil War. It's just that Jedi get to kill loads of droids and stormtroopers and Sith never get any fun. You never saw Darth Vader or the Emperor slaughter any rebels...but you get to see Luke Skywalker kills entire squads of Stormtroopers. It's no fair.

#21 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30075 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh I'm so not excited. I have a feeling it will get ruined. Even with Lucas behind it all.

And IE, I like the Ewoks!

#22 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

My god, Lucas if you mess this up I am going to hunt you down like the wookie scum you are...

There is so much potential for this to be the greatest scifi show in this century, and just as much potential to completely destroy Star Wars as a viable franchise.

#23 Posted by King Saturn (224286 posts) - - Show Bio
No Darth Vader ? Uh... Naw
#24 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd just like to say that I find an interesting irony that the to greatest sci-fi franchises are moving into each others territory. Star trek started out as a tv show and cam to the movies, while Star wars, after six movies, is now becoming a tv show.

#25 Posted by Aerika Harkness (24 posts) - - Show Bio

I was excited about his until I just read that there isn't a lot of attention being given to the Jedi from the start.  I love Star Wars, but the only reason why I watched/read all that I have is because of the fact that the Jedi characters are so interesting.  Storm troopers are not.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.