Follow

Darth Vader

Character » Darth Vader appears in 1467 issues.

Once a heroic Jedi Knight known as Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader was seduced by the dark side and became a dark Lord of the Sith. After severe injuries at the hands of Obi-Wan Kenobi, locking him in a metal suit, Vader would go on to terrorize the galaxy. Under the apprenticeship of Darth Sidious, Vader served as a powerful enforcer for the Galactic Empire and hunted down any surviving Jedi after Order 66. However, in spite of everything he had done, there were still remnants of good in him.

DARTH VADER #7 Provides Great Jumping-On Point and Plenty of Action!

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

Last arc introduced us to a side of Darth Vader that we've never seen before: one built on intrigue and skullduggery rather than the more crude, blunt instrument he was in A New Hope. The story culminated with the Emperor revealing that he's been doing some talent scouting and Vader's rivals revealed themselves. So the race is on to see who is worthy of standing at the Emperor's right hand and while there was some trepidation going into this issue, the concerns were unfounded. There's much to actively SPOIL, but this article WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR DARTH VADER #6 and #7.

No Caption Provided

What Kieron Gillen, Salvador Larroca and Edgar Delgado gave us was one of the most interesting character studies in this universe and a story that helps to expand it moreso, even, than the core Star Wars title. This not only helps explain how the world got to where it is by the next film, but how Vader himself did.

A Great Time to Jump On

No Caption Provided

There are a few reasons you might've skipped the first arc of this book. If villain-centered books aren't your thing, if you were trade-waiting, or if you'd just been burned one too many times by previous Star Wars titles and were adopting a more wait-and-see approach, for instance. Whatever the reason, if you're any kind of fan of Star Wars, you MUST read this book and this issue is a fantastic place to start while waiting for the trade. There are new characters on-hand, but the book deftly develops them and lets you know the stakes early on and without a lot of clunky explanation.

Bounty Hunters? We Sure Could Use That Scum...

No Caption Provided

When I mentioned how much this series expands the Star Wars universe, even giving it more credit than the core title, this is a great example of what I mean. The core title still has that sense of grandiosity that the movies had, and that's to its credit, but when you want a universe to seem larger, one of the ways you do that is by focusing on the smaller things. This issue gives us a look at never before seen characters as well as catching us up on one who seemingly dropped off the map after only a single appearance. By making the setting more intimate, it actually adds to the feel of a coherent, complete galaxy.

More and More Intrigue and Deception

No Caption Provided

The Darth Vader in this title is frequently engaged with actions and behaviors that he himself likely considers beneath him, and they likely are, but that he does anyway out of a sense of duty. The way he comports himself during these is the key to what's making him such an interesting and intriguing character, as is his use of imperial resources and allies. It does a great job of making the Empire into the threat it should feel like and lets the reader know why even a loss as devastating as the Death Star isn't the end for this galaxy-spanning Empire.

Darth Vader is iconic and that means a lot of things for anyone trying to create new art around him, most of which involves a heavy risk. People have a very clear idea of WHO Darth Vader is in their own mind, and Gillen, Larroca and Delgado understand how to expand Vader's character while still being extremely loyal to it.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I still kind of wish they had done a Secret Wars tie in.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Any word on when the trades for this or Star Wars are coming? I wanna check out both series, but I'm getting impatient trade waiting. I may just buy all issues digital...

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@roaris87: Amazon lists STAR WARS for 10/6 so in comic shops the week before. VADER is listed at 10/20 and LEIA at 11/3.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Thanks man! I don't think I can wait that long. It's a slow comic week for me, so maybe I'll pick up a few issues

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aphra and her droids still around? -_-

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed 100%

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was actually thinking about jumping on to this book.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By phocracker

@roaris87: Don't purchase the digital form of Darth Vader. Star Wars sure, but DV you need to purchase in a print of some sort. That's how epic the series is (Issue 6 was alright but had a great ending.)

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I have to disagree with Undeadpool's opening sentence above. Vader has been explored in a setting of "Intrigue and Skulduggery" several times before. In books and some of the Dark Horse comics. (which I know they are not "Canon" anymore, but they were at the time and that does not make them any less valid as character studies).

That said This is a good comic title which I find way more interesting than the main SW title. Don't just jump on at issue 7, do yourself a favor and read 1-6 also.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

Been loving this series so far. Look forward to what happens next

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: I believe Disney has told Marvel to not do any Star Wars-Marvel Universe cross-overs for the time being.

I am with you though, maybe not for Secret Wars, but some Team-Up type issues have lots of humor potential, especially given that Star Wars is well established as an entertainment franchise in the MU also.

No Caption Provided

lkk102466

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm expecting or hoping very much at least that at some point during the intro to 'The Force Awakens,' they tell us that Vader uses the Force to travel back in time, kills Jar Jar and therefore the last 3 movies don't exist anymore.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 owie  Moderator

Pretty great issue. Although I continue to be surprised at how Larocca's action scenes are sort of static-looking and sometimes confusing about what's happening.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.