Follow

Darth Vader

Character » Darth Vader appears in 1467 issues.

Once a heroic Jedi Knight known as Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader was seduced by the dark side and became a dark Lord of the Sith. After severe injuries at the hands of Obi-Wan Kenobi, locking him in a metal suit, Vader would go on to terrorize the galaxy. Under the apprenticeship of Darth Sidious, Vader served as a powerful enforcer for the Galactic Empire and hunted down any surviving Jedi after Order 66. However, in spite of everything he had done, there were still remnants of good in him.

Best Viewing Order Of Episodes For New Fan?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

I grew up with Star Wars.  I'm old enough to remember seeing Episode IV in theaters.  My daughter is on the verge of turning 6.  Even though I've let her watch a couple when she was 2 (she obviously doesn't remember), I have to figure out which order to show her all the episodes. 

Traditionalists would say IV through VI followed by I through III.  Keeping in mind that she is still five, going that route could be a little confusing (although she is aware that the original trilogy has Luke and company).

Going in order, you see that the movies are really all about Darth Vader with his rise, fall and redemption.  Episodes I through III obviously have their flaws.  Also at her age, I don't know if I'd want to end on the downer of Episode III.  But then that means ending with the Ewoks.  Which could be better for her anyways.

What are your thoughts?

Paragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Paragon

I vote completely ignoring 1-3. My childhood (And many others) were great without those ones, and I found they kind of take away from the magic of the original trilogy.

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kurrent

I think showing it in order it would be a lot easier for you to explain. Such as hey that old man is Obi Wan Kenobi and that is what the baby form the end of part 3 grew up to be.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck

This is why I'm leaning towards going in sequential order and not release order.  She's been watching "The Clone Wars."  She's seen a part of Phantom Menace and wants to see Anakin as a kid.  Ending with the "original" trilogy will push the newer ones further out of her mind.

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kurrent

Since the newer ones are done with better technology she might get into it even more. By the time she see those too she'll probably have a vested interest and wont mind that 4-6 don't look as fancy.....some of my cousins made that argument when I tried to get them on it

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By shanana

I didn't watch Star-wars UNTIL episode I came out, because I thought they were kind of boring, but episode I made me love it, So showing it in order (while explaining) would be the better option.

Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Hawk

Sequential.....I had too many questions the when I watched the OG 3. I was like "Who is that guy....why is he all F&*^ed up?"

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Korg
    G-Man said:
    "Ending with the "original" trilogy will push the newer ones further out of her mind."
    Not if she's been watching Clone Wars. I would have said ignore 1-3 completely, but as things are, it makes more sense to watch the originals first. They are older, and the newer ones were designed to fit their story, not the other way around. Plus, seeing Anakin's development in 1-3 will completely ruin the character of Darh Vader in the original trilogy. Search your feelings - you know it to be true.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck

Sounds like everyone's suggesting what I had in mind.  My wife (surprisingly) thought we should go in release order.  I know the die hard Star Wars fans say that's the way you have to go.  But I, myself, am willing to bend on this for her sake.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By shanana

DONT! make the fatal mistake of letting her watch the cartoons lol, they left my cousin all messed up.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gmanfromheck

Here's a great song by a band called Center Divide.  Red LAMP was actually roommates with one of the dudes (which is how I heard the song).  I have never been to a Star Wars Celebration though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.