Star Wars: The Clone Wars Episode 5.15 'Shades of Reason' Review

Posted by k4tzm4n (45907 posts) - - Show Bio

In a review not so far away, there are spoilers...

If you start a story with something as stunning as 'Eminence,' you can really only go downhill from there. While this episode did certainly have its moments and a beyond impressive fight, there's just no topping last week's amazingly fun episode.

Darth Maul and Pre Vizsla execute their plan to snatch power from Duchess Satine on Mandalore, but obviously the real conflict stems from within their "alliance." As bluntly displayed in the last episode, they view each other as a necessary evil required for an immediate job and then have no use for them directly afterwards.

Luckily for us, we see the explosive conclusion of this internal dilemma and the fight scene is spectacular. Yes, fans of the expanded universe will find it tough to believe that someone like Maul could have a tough time with a well trained warrior like Pre Vizsla, but if you can toss away those negative thoughts, then odds are you'll enjoy what was truly an awesome action sequence. The close up of Maul as he activated the darksaber in front of his diabolic face was a brilliant shot.

Fun fact: Jon Favreau is the voice of Pre Vizsla.

While the show definitely ended on a high note with that ridiculously good fight and Maul's tour of the prison facility, the rest of the episode was just okay (positively better than the rest of the season's stories, though!). The plan was carried out in a predictable manner. The people were total sheep and easily went along with Pre Visla's plot and the Duchess wasn't exactly the brightest leader around. Furthermore I couldn't help but laugh a few times at the commentary the people provided. I think I heard "our saviors!" or "Death Watch are our saviors!" more than a handful of times.

No real twists were thrown in the mix yet there were some scattered moments of greatness -- for example, the gangsters stepping aside to let Savage emerge was such a cool moment. Speaking of Savage, I'd like to award him the official Comic Vine BAMF of the year award (okay, maybe that isn't a real thing). From the way he carries himself to his absurd displays of using the force, there's no denying that Savage is a total boss that exudes pure evil. Also, does anyone feel like Maul was left with the rookie Mandalorians? Bo-Katan humiliated them!

Sure, this episode had some low points and a fair amount of mediocre ones, but the scenes that worked well were phenomenal. Seriously, can anyone think of a fight scene that was more of a blast than Maul vs. Pre Vizsla? There's absolutely a lot of contenders, but I think this one takes that title. I'm curious to see how this will turn out, but what worries me is Sam Witwer (Darth Maul) stated this will only be a 3 episode arc. Does that mean it's just 3 episodes of Maul on Mandalore... or only 3 episodes with Maul? I reaaaaaaaaally hope it's not the latter because this character deserves far more time. I'd hate to see his story with Obi-Wan rushed into just one more episode. I'm pretty sure he meant the former, but I'll guess we'll have to wait until next Saturday to find out!

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine & IGN Entertainment. Follow him on Twitter if you also want to see more of Embo or Cad Bane!

Staff
#1 Posted by Owie (3765 posts) - - Show Bio

It was awesome.  Just saw it this morning.  Great fight scene.  I was interested in how Maul and Opress are so physically different in size; nice characterization.

So what's up with Maul's legs?  Does he have robot legs under his pants?

#2 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3858 posts) - - Show Bio

The Mandalorians trusted the Sith, only to be screwed by them.....again. It's very funny how history repeats itself for Mandalore. RIP Vizla, BAMF Maul!

#3 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed this episode. I wasn't really too concerned that Maul was having a hard time fighting Vizsla, it just made the battle enjoyable to watch.

As for the three episode arc thing? I'm going to (hopefully) assume that Sam Witwer meant that this arc will serve as something bigger with possibly the next arc having Obi-Wan fighting to take back Mandlore, along with fighting Maul again.

And then there's that battle with Darth Sidious, Darth Maul and Savage Opress shown in the trailer....

#4 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

@Owie: Yeah, Maul had spider-like legs before, but when Death Watch found Maul and his brother, they replaced them to look more natural (can't really think of the right word)?

#5 Posted by Lurkero (190 posts) - - Show Bio

If every episode tried to top the last one then you would end up being fatigued from the show trying too had. I like the pulse of intense episode followed by less intense episode and so on.

Right now I am just glad that this arc was worth waiting for. Seems like most of the slow and uninteresting episodes are out of the way and the last of the season is to be fully engaging.

#6 Posted by k4tzm4n (45907 posts) - - Show Bio

@Owie said:

It was awesome. Just saw it this morning. Great fight scene. I was interested in how Maul and Opress are so physically different in size; nice characterization. So what's up with Maul's legs? Does he have robot legs under his pants?

Yes, they're robotic legs.

@StMichalofWilson said:

The Mandalorians trusted the Sith, only to be screwed by them.....again. It's very funny how history repeats itself for Mandalore. RIP Vizla, BAMF Maul!

Hah. To be fair, Pre Vizsla and Bo-Katan didn't trust Maul... they just underestimated him ;)

@Duo_forbidden said:

I enjoyed this episode. I wasn't really too concerned that Maul was having a hard time fighting Vizsla, it just made the battle enjoyable to watch.

As for the three episode arc thing? I'm going to (hopefully) assume that Sam Witwer meant that this arc will serve as something bigger with possibly the next arc having Obi-Wan fighting to take back Mandlore, along with fighting Maul again.

And then there's that battle with Darth Sidious, Darth Maul and Savage Opress shown in the trailer....

I'm hoping the same, sir!

Staff
#7 Posted by laflux (16218 posts) - - Show Bio

This is such a good arc, and I actually preferred this episode to the last one.

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33631 posts) - - Show Bio

The Duchess is a bit of an idiot

#9 Posted by Owie (3765 posts) - - Show Bio
@Duo_forbidden said:

@Owie: Yeah, Maul had spider-like legs before, but when Death Watch found Maul and his brother, they replaced them to look more natural (can't really think of the right word)?

Cool, thanks for the info.  Natural seems like the right word to me.
#10 Posted by War Killer (20258 posts) - - Show Bio

The episode was awesome, great storyline, exciting use to the various characters here and seeing the alliances formed throughout the episode just put a smile on my face. What I probably loved most about this episode was that it actually gave you a sense that anything can happen, one oft he issues I find with the series is that there are some characters that we know CAN'T die as we know their story goes beyond the Clone Wars and into the other movies, books, etc. but with characters like Maul and Death Watch, the fact that the story could go either way and that it leaves the viewer on the edge of their seat because you don't know who is going to fall and who will be the one left standing makes for a very suspenseful, but extremely fun, episode.

#11 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Darn I missed this episode. Gotta get back to it.

#12 Posted by ChillinVillain (161 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that Darth Maul took the "darksaber" for himself, is just too badass for words.

#13 Posted by k4tzm4n (45907 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

Darn I missed this episode. Gotta get back to it.

Here you go:

http://starwars.com/explore/the-clone-wars/ep515/#!/media/fullepisode

Staff

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.