Darth Maul Returns

• 64 results
Posted by G-Man (29467 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember that movie called 'The Phantom Menace'? Say what you will about it, it introduced us to the badass Sith, Darth Maul. You may have heard the news, he's coming back this Spring in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Check out this clip from Lucasfilm and you'll see why Maul was so cool.

Dave Filoni, Supervising Director of The Clone Wars had this to say:

The decision to continue Darth Maul’s story was something that came directly from George. We all agreed that his return needed to be unique, unexpected and revenge filled. We don’t know what his outcome will be, and as a fan - that’s exciting.

What I think many have either missed or forgotten when this news first broke yesterday is Maul has already returned from the dead in comics.

== TEASER ==

In 2005's Star Wars: Visionaries from Dark Horse, there was a 13-page story by Aaron McBride. Basically Maul returns with bionic legs and wants revenge against Obi-Wan. He looks for his at Owen Lars' place and it was this that made Owen demand that Obi-Wan stay away. He would simply attract too much bad attention and put Luke's life at risk. But that story was non-canon, I guess.

Also, in case you missed this announcement as well, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace will be released in theaters on February 10, 2012 in 3D. There will be a trailer attached to The Three Musketeers on October 21.

Staff
#1 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Too freakin' cool! I will see this for certain.

#2 Edited by SpidermanWins (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

Darth Maul was so badass... He's only reason why I still watch the Phantom Menace

#3 Posted by SpidermanWins (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

Too freakin' cool! I will see this for certain.

same

#4 Posted by War Killer (19515 posts) - - Show Bio

Cools, hopefully he'll still have the bionic legs in the Clone Wars. Great to see more Siths though!!! ^_^

#5 Posted by The Poet (8201 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, cool! I really should keep track of this show...

#6 Posted by G-Man (29467 posts) - - Show Bio

I absolutely love the editing in that video.

Staff
#7 Posted by FinalDasa (23 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder what the explanation will be. I still haven't caught up to the episodes with his brother in them.

#8 Posted by ReVamp (22860 posts) - - Show Bio

Never got into this series. Don't like the style too much.

#9 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3536 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man:

It's touches such as this that makes me want to start watching Clone Wars. I'm not big on prequel series, because you know the outcome and the players that survive. In my opinion, he was one of the best things to come out of that prequel series.

It's this stylized art is one of the reasons why I wish they would do more CG movies for comics in place of live action. You don't have to worry about costumes looking silly, and you could get anyone to do the voice acting. Looks wouldn't matter.

#10 Posted by Darth Paul (273 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait. I've wanted to see this since the tease of him in the Savage Opress arc!

#11 Posted by Bestostero (5611 posts) - - Show Bio

This was a terrible decision to bring him back.

#12 Posted by kennybaese (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

As some who loves The Clone Wars and is mostly indifferent about the prequels (They don't hold a candle to the original films, but I don't think they deserve the vitriol that gets directed at them either, and I have fond memories of them growing up. The Phantom Menace came out when I was about ten) I'm excited for this. I kind of always wished that Maul had survived at least until Attack of the Clones. It would have been fun to see Maul and Anakin take each other apart in that movie, and I think it would've been a better channel for Anakin's rage as he fights the man that killed the man that freed him from slavery... it would have developed his character better than fighting Dracula, I think. Maybe we'll get a bit of that now in The Clone Wars.

#13 Posted by NightFang (9648 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpidermanWins said:

Darth Maul was so badass... He's the only reason why I still watch the Phantom Menace

This!

#14 Posted by ch13696 (19 posts) - - Show Bio

Scumbag George Lucas

Kills off the most bad ass character in one movie

Keeps the annoying character alive in all three movies

#15 Posted by Project_Worm (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

About time they went back to the opress story.

#16 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, yoou mean Toad from X-Men 1 :P

He looks fake cool, like they were trying so hard to create a cool character for the cartoon, that they went a little overboard.

#17 Edited by _Zombie_ (10226 posts) - - Show Bio

Still refuse to watch The Clone Wars, even for this, sorry(not letting their handling of the Mandalorians go).

#18 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

Hard to say anything about this, really. Darth Maul is a great villain in the Star Wars universe, it just seems a bit odd to revive him. He was pretty much eviscerated in the Phantom Menace but I guess he has the ability to withstand what others cannot and heal. At least I assume, due to the fact he is a "Darth"--Maul, that is. Bionic legs, well, it could happen, right?

The trailer, though, was nice and creepy and I loved it, looks great.

#19 Posted by ssejllenrad (12792 posts) - - Show Bio

The only good thing in TPM may be one of the few good things to come out in Clone Wars! :D

#20 Posted by MrMazz (978 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess they are doing him as a cyborg or dark force magics? but huzzah Clone Wars

#21 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

wonder if he'll have horse legs.

#22 Posted by red_rover (95 posts) - - Show Bio

The force is clearly strong with that one.

#23 Posted by Hector (446 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally something good.

#24 Posted by B'Town (2336 posts) - - Show Bio

We can never have too much Star Wars, especially arse kickin' villains. Bring him back!

#25 Posted by The Impersonator (4314 posts) - - Show Bio

Darth Maul with bionic legs? Looks lame. He should have just came back from the dead with his original body. The Sith has dark powers, right?

#26 Posted by theicon (1797 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot: Fear is the path to the darkside, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suferinggggg............Let gooo Zombie ( waving my hand)

#27 Posted by _Zombie_ (10226 posts) - - Show Bio

@theicon said:

@ZombieBigfoot: Fear is the path to the darkside, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suferinggggg............Let gooo Zombie ( waving my hand)

Heck no. Not happening. They turned one of my favorite aspects of the EU into a bunch of tree hugging pacifists! Such an insult cannot be forgiven!

Plus.. I'm already on the darkside.

#28 Posted by Jamiracles (351 posts) - - Show Bio

Crap dude I like this...

#29 Posted by luckydomino1 (491 posts) - - Show Bio

yes cant wait can i ask what the hell happened to his brother savage opress seeing them fight would be cool

#30 Posted by Antonio_Blackheart (1542 posts) - - Show Bio

i cant wait

#31 Posted by Neverpraying (1465 posts) - - Show Bio

then by the end of series he'll probably die again :(

#32 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1645 posts) - - Show Bio

He survived? Damn, George...making more money, will not make you happy. We've talked about it, man!

#33 Posted by AlexDM (20 posts) - - Show Bio

My favourite Sith who was chopped in half is that amputee with the hovering waist thing. From Dark Forces 2.

#34 Posted by Moonshadow101 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if he'll succeed at killing Obi-wan. Ohwait.

#35 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

He also appeared once or twice as a force-ghost in other comics if I remember correctly :P

#36 Posted by Cessate (21 posts) - - Show Bio

The Clone Wars is a great series, and arguably right up there with the original trilogy in terms of writing, characters, and plot. People who judge this solely based on the latest trilogy really need to let that grudge go already; because sometimes good things DO come out of horrible ideas. This is one of them.

That all said and done though. The Savage Opress arc was grand, and to bring back Maul is a shocker and a half. I'm stoked to say the least. But what I want to know, is where's my Chewy? He had a cameo in the final episodes for last season; then he just kind of vanished. Here's to hoping they bring him back as well.

#37 Posted by Mister_Sensational (174 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't watch Clone Wars but I did read (and buy) Star Wars Visionaries and I always thought that Darth Maul story was awesome and it could easily be canon if they wanted it to be. As for how this would work in that cartoon I'm not so sure, it just seems to be all over the place, I mean they gave Anakin has his own padawan! SMH

#38 Posted by NyxEquitis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

Legit.

#39 Posted by TrueEnglishGent (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome, still haven't seen season 3 yet. Really enjoyed season 2 though.

#40 Posted by Lvenger (16075 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I want to watch this. Darth Maul was badass. Not much character to him but he was badass as hell and one of the few saving graces about the Phantom Menace

#41 Posted by alexl86 (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't this a flash video?

Also, Maul's death didn't leave much room for interpretation. The fall alone should have killed him, but he was also cut in half. This is unneccesary.

#42 Posted by Emerald_General_Jai (2306 posts) - - Show Bio

This will be kick ass....it'll probably b a re-match of Maul vs Kenobi and Skywalker w/ Ashoka vs Savage Opress. Hopefully we get to see the Sith duo take out a few other jedi before that happens. (I'd really love it if Windu took em both on. That would be one hell of a fight)

#43 Posted by Sammo21 (670 posts) - - Show Bio

George Lucas really doesn't give a crap about anything anymore. I remember why I stopped caring about Star Wars now.

#44 Posted by red_rover (95 posts) - - Show Bio

Always two there are... an upper half and a lower half. Will there be two Darth Mauls coming back? Will one only kick?

#45 Posted by FireNationVulcanSith (7 posts) - - Show Bio

ROBO-LEGS MAUL... OH MY FUCK

#46 Posted by TheShame (477 posts) - - Show Bio

over hyped bull"!&^

#47 Posted by Mokey (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait.

#48 Posted by wintersnowblind (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot said:

Still refuse to watch The Clone Wars, even for this, sorry(not letting their handling of the Mandalorians go).

There are several explanations for the Mandalorians being pacifists in the Clone Wars and not later in the EU (aside from the fact the EU is not canon) the most obvious one being that the war like ones in the EU were just another faction. After all, even the episode that introduced them in TCW showed that not all Mandalorians followed the new beliefs.

It also seems pretty obvious that they're building up to that new government collapsing and Death Watch completely taking over anyway.

In my opinion though, the Mandalorians sucked for the same reason the Klingons eventually did in Star Trek. Space vikings are not interesting in any way, it's a very tired and generic cliché and just makes little sense on any level. The pacificst idea at least gave them some character and culture and this made the opposing faction (the Mandalorians who were still war-like) actually interesting.

#49 Edited by _Zombie_ (10226 posts) - - Show Bio

@wintersnowblind said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

There are several explanations for the Mandalorians being pacifists in the Clone Wars and not later in the EU (aside from the fact the EU is not canon) the most obvious one being that the war like ones in the EU were just another faction. After all, even the episode that introduced them in TCW showed that not all Mandalorians followed the new beliefs.

It also seems pretty obvious that they're building up to that new government collapsing and Death Watch completely taking over anyway.

In my opinion though, the Mandalorians sucked for the same reason the Klingons eventually did in Star Trek. Space vikings are not interesting in any way, it's a very tired and generic cliché and just makes little sense on any level. The pacificst idea at least gave them some character and culture and this made the opposing faction (the Mandalorians who were still war-like) actually interesting.

Opinions are opinions. I myself love them. I just hate them taking one of my favorite cultures in the EU and turning them into their polar opposites. And it's not the sole reason I won't watch the show. For one, the art style turns me off. The series may be good quality-wise.. but I hate that Lucas is basically exploiting the living hell out of he Star Wars brand. At least the books were enjoyable.

#50 Posted by CrimsonAlchemist (410 posts) - - Show Bio

finally my favorite sith is back!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.