School Vance Astro on Darkseid

#1 Posted by Vance Astro (91366 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read alot with Darkseid in it and I don't really know what he can do.So I'm going to ask some questions about the character and see if I can get the answers I need. 

1.How strong is Darkseid? He's a Superman rouge.Is he someone that Superman can beat or does he have something over Superman that allows him to win? 
2.Is there any superhero or member of the JLA or JSA who could beat Darkseid alone? 
3.Everyone calls Thanos a rip-off of Darkseid..why is that? Is it because they both make stupid smiley faces when they are getting pummeled? 

#2 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: Darkseid is extremely more powerful than Superman, he's not a Superman rogue, Superman only wins through PIS how the Omega Beams decide that they're never going to work against only him is beyond me.

2.No

3.Because Thanos tries to do the same thing Darkseid does, he's always trying to take over the universe, Though Darkseids plans usually work alot more than Thanos's do.
#3 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: 
1. That's not an easy answer.. In theory, he is supposed to be powerful enough to step on Superman like an ant, and he has shown this to be true on multiple occasions he's played around with cosmic forces and such. Darkseid should be at least a team buster and at most a universe buster. 
However, since the late nineties, writers (I.E. Loeb) have used him as a foil for Superman, and used him to show how awesome Superman is, making Darkseid loose fights he under normal circumstances should have won easily. So, you know when people in the Battle threads call him a jobber? It's kinda deserved. 
These loses to Superman are explained as being only avatars of Darkseid, projections with far less than the actual Darkseid. So while these avatars have lost to Superman, the real Darkseid is still far out of his league.

2. On his own, no, no member of JSA or JLA could beat him.

3. Jim Starlin actually made Thanos as an homage to Darkseid.
#4 Edited by Vance Astro (91366 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:

" @Vance Astro:  1. That's not an easy answer.. In theory, he is supposed to be powerful enough to step on Superman like an ant, and he has shown this to be true on multiple occasions he's played around with cosmic forces and such. Darkseid should be at least a team buster and at most a universe buster.  However, since the late nineties, writers (I.E. Loeb) have used him as a foil for Superman, and used him to show how awesome Superman is, making Darkseid loose fights he under normal circumstances should have won easily. So, you know when people in the Battle threads call him a jobber? 

So what is it that makes Darkseid more powerful than Superman? Is it his strength or other abilities?  

@AtPhantom said:

3. Jim Starlin actually made Thanos as an homage to Darkseid. "

Oh, ok.I didn't know that. 

@geraldthesloth said:

" @Vance Astro: Darkseid is extremely more powerful than Superman, he's not a Superman rogue, Superman only wins through PIS how the Omega Beams decide that they're never going to work against only him is beyond me. 

So what is he to Superman if not in his rouge gallery? Is he just an arch enemy?
#5 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: Superman's usually there to foil his avatar's plans, he's a New Gods rogue if anything.
#6 Posted by Vance Astro (91366 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" @Vance Astro: Superman's usually there to foil his avatar's plans, he's a New Gods rogue if anything. "
Thanks, Gerald :)
#7 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" @Vance Astro: Superman's usually there to foil his avatar's plans, he's a New Gods rogue if anything. "
Thanks, Gerald :) "
No problemo Mr Astrovik.
#8 Posted by TheJuggernautpunch (6133 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: One word . Use " Search " . That helps . I swear .
#9 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" So what is it that makes Darkseid more powerful than Superman? Is it his strength or other abilities?  "
Other abilities. Darkseid is the most powerful God in DCU, more powerful than Zeus, Ares and the like, and as such has a wast range of abilities. His staple is the omega effect. The omega effect is a transmitted through a pair of eye beams which can twist, turn and home in on their targets. Once they hit their target, they can basically do anything, from hitting them with massive amount of force, enough to hurt guys like the Spectre or Anti-Monitor, transmuting, evolving, devolving, teleporting or just disintegrating the target. That's what happened to Batman at the end of Final Crisis, the Omega beams transported him through time to the stone age, wiping his memory in the process. They're very powerful.

" So what is he to Superman if not in his rouge gallery? Is he just an arch enemy? "
He meant to say that Darkseid is a new Gods rogue, rather than Superman's rogue. Darkseid might care about Superman as an annoying thorn in his side or something, but destruction of the New Gods is always his primary objective. Of course, some writers have forgotten that, leading to the above mentioned over exposure as a foil for Superman.
#10 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkseid has been stricken with cancer on this site where people think a fraggin Sky Father is Superman's b@tch because he has one or two low showing that are HEAVILY fed by plot PIS and CIS when in actuality Darkseid is is a Class A meta team buster and terds like Klandicar and Batdance started the Jobberseid cancer 

#11 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice thread. I'm learning too :)

#12 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

2. Didn't Batman technically "beat" him?

#13 Posted by King Saturn (224817 posts) - - Show Bio
Darkseid is one of the most diabolical villians in the DC Universe... 
#14 Edited by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:

" 2. Didn't Batman technically "beat" him? "

Short answer: Yes, with a God-killing bullet.
#15 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2305 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: 
1.How strong is Darkseid? He's a Superman rouge.Is he someone that Superman can beat or does he have something over Superman that allows him to win? 
 I think, but am not totally sure, that Darkseid is stronger than Superman.  He is one of the New Gods (sort of like Thor right?), but Superman is a mortal.  Plus he is willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.  He was actually created for Orion to fight in the Fourth World.

2.Is there any superhero or member of the JLA or JSA who could beat Darkseid alone?
 I don't think anyone can defeat him on their own.  Maybe the Spectre, he was on the JSA right?

3.Everyone calls Thanos a rip-off of Darkseid..why is that? Is it because they both make stupid smiley faces when they are getting pummeled?
 Thanos was technically created after Darkseid, and since they look similar and have similar motives and similar roles in their universes.  But I did hear Thanos is an homage.  Its like Namor and Aquaman, Aquaman was created after Namor was created.  Also the X-Men and Doom Patrol were created at the same time, one right after the other.  It sometimes happens.
#16 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Varies from writer to writer, but Darkseid is supposed to be one of the big threats in the DCU in the same way Galactus or Thanos are at Marvel. 
2. The Spectre (Hal Jordan I think) beat him and took over Apokolips to redeem it, but relinquished it back to Darkseid when he realised the planet itself was corrupt and would corrupt him.

#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91366 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheJuggernautpunch said:
" @Vance Astro: One word . Use " Search " . That helps . I swear . "
Actually take the time and go to Dakseid's bio..then go in there.come back and copy and paste the answers to my questions.Since that helps so much... 
#18 Posted by Vance Astro (91366 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" So what is it that makes Darkseid more powerful than Superman? Is it his strength or other abilities?  "
Other abilities. Darkseid is the most powerful God in DCU, more powerful than Zeus, Ares and the like, and as such has a wast range of abilities. His staple is the omega effect. The omega effect is a transmitted through a pair of eye beams which can twist, turn and home in on their targets. Once they hit their target, they can basically do anything, from hitting them with massive amount of force, enough to hurt guys like the Spectre or Anti-Monitor, transmuting, evolving, devolving, teleporting or just disintegrating the target. That's what happened to Batman at the end of Final Crisis, the Omega beams transported him through time to the stone age, wiping his memory in the process. They're very powerful.

" So what is he to Superman if not in his rouge gallery? Is he just an arch enemy? "
He meant to say that Darkseid is a new Gods rogue, rather than Superman's rogue. Darkseid might care about Superman as an annoying thorn in his side or something, but destruction of the New Gods is always his primary objective. Of course, some writers have forgotten that, leading to the above mentioned over exposure as a foil for Superman. "
Ok.Thanks.I have more questions but I will post them later. 

@Everyone..thanks for the input.
#19 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @Gambler said:

" 2. Didn't Batman technically "beat" him? "

Short answer: Yes, with a God-killing bullet. "
Batman also technically beat him by threatening to blow up Apokolips, but not before Darkseid smacked him upside the head.
#20 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:  No Prob. Happy to help.
#21 Posted by Vance Astro (91366 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cosmic Sentinel said:
 The Spectre (Hal Jordan I think) beat him and took over Apokolips to redeem it, but relinquished it back to Darkseid when he realised the planet itself was corrupt and would corrupt him. "
So you would have to be Spectre level to beat Darkseid?
#22 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
The fight between Spectre and Darkseid was relatively short, and Spectre was quickly victorious. He simply could not permanently kill Darkseid due to his divine status.
On the other hand, Darkseid still hurt the Spectre, and was capable of doing the same the Anti-Monitor as well.
#23 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: You'd have to be near that level. The combined Guardians of Oa or the more powerful New Gods like Orion (Darkseid's son) or Highfather power. Doomsday trashed Apokolips and Darkseid and all he could do was send him to another planet. Superman beat him by flying him into the Source Wall.    
#24 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cosmic Sentinel said:
" @Vance Astro: You'd have to be near that level. The combined Guardians of Oa or the more powerful New Gods like Orion (Darkseid's son) or Highfather power. Doomsday trashed Apokolips and Darkseid and all he could do was send him to another planet. Superman beat him by flying him into the Source Wall.     "
Huh? Guardians and Highfather, okay. Orion is not nearly as powerful as Darkseid. Doomsday and Superman beat the aforementioned avatars.
#25 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom: I've read a lot of comics with Darkseid in, and this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say these are avatars. Highfather is stalemated with him in power though I admit, Orion is a stretch. Superman didn't beat him with raw power (and he was close to the Sun), he boom tubed him to the Source Wall (which traps gods more powerful than Darkseid) and Superman seemed to think he was beaten. 
#26 Posted by MrDirector786 (43636 posts) - - Show Bio

To be perfectly honest, the time Superman beat Darkseid in the Superman/Batman: Supergirl storyline was bad writing if you ask me. There were so many things confusing about how they tricked Darkseid into thinking he killed Supergirl and Superman somehow got put into the mindset to beat Darkseid or something like that, Superman somehow opening up a boom tube, and then Superman defeating Darkseid in general. Others as strong as Superman such as Supergirl and Lobo couldn't even phase Darkseid with their punches but somehow Superman was able to hurt him which really doesn't make sense.

#27 Posted by MrDirector786 (43636 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, and the worst part about the top scan I have is that it was written by Jeph Loeb and the instance where Superman defeated Darkseid by sending him into the Source Wall was also written by Jeph Loeb. So one instance, he depicted Superman as being able to hurt him then Supergirl, whose just as strong Superman, somehow can't hurt him when she punches him. And she was mad at the time too because that was right after Darkseid escaped the Source Wall and threw Superman into it for revenge and then she rescued him, so she obviously wasn't pulling the punch.

#28 Posted by Vance Astro (91366 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice scans MrDirector786.

#29 Posted by MrDirector786 (43636 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" Nice scans MrDirector786. "
Thanks
#30 Posted by danielddavis (105 posts) - - Show Bio

Neat.

#31 Posted by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

@Porlos
said:
"@Klandicar said:

" @the creator said:

" @BatDance: Was there any real point to this thread other than to drag the name of Darkseid through the mud, as you normally do ? Is it a vendetta you have against him ? "

He's already been dragged through the mud, literally. "
How is this guy considered Thanos's DC equivalent?  If that was Thanos he would self-destruct with a thermonuclear device due to embarressment...but Darkseid just takes being dragged around like that.  Guess he is used to losing by now since that is all he seems to do recently.  So weak.   "

ouch!

@Vance Astro
said:
"I haven't read alot with Darkseid in it   "

be glad 

These days Hobo gets owned like a punk
#32 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" I haven't read alot with Darkseid in it and I don't really know what he can do.So I'm going to ask some questions about the character and see if I can get the answers I need.  1.How strong is Darkseid? He's a Superman rouge.Is he someone that Superman can beat or does he have something over Superman that allows him to win? 2.Is there any superhero or member of the JLA or JSA who could beat Darkseid alone? 3.Everyone calls Thanos a rip-off of Darkseid..why is that? Is it because they both make stupid smiley faces when they are getting pummeled?  "
1. Depends on the point in the series if he is Stronger, Equal, or Weaker than Superman. But Superman more often than not needs help to beat him. So I would say the Majority leads to say he is Stronger than Superman.
2. Not that I can think of.
3. Because he is a blantant rip-off of Thanos. but Marvel and DC do that to each other all of the time.
#33 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

1.Darkseid is by far stonger than Superman.He isnt a Superman rogue.He is a threat to the whole DC universe

2.Superman has beaten Darkseid due to PIS only.Batman has beaten him with prep, but he shouldnt lose to any Superman level guy.

3.Darkseid and Thanos have something in common.They both want to take over the universe and seek great power beyond imagination.We could say he is a rip-off

#34 Edited by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

@caligula: Darkseid's first appearance in comic book: November 1970

Thanos's first appearance: February 1973

Who's a blatant rip-off of who now?

#35 Posted by Vance Astro (91366 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668 said:

@caligula: Darkseid's first appearance in comic book: November 1970

Thanos's first appearance: February 1973

Who's a blatant rip-off of who now?

Jack Kirby created the New Gods and the Eternals which are Marvel\DC's versions of each other so I'd assume Thanos only ekists by 1 idea be transferred between two companies. I wouldn't say Thanos is a rip-off but he is most likely Marvel's equivalent of that character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.