Follow

Darkseid

Character » Darkseid appears in 1531 issues.

Uxas, famously known as Darkseid, is the supreme monarch of the ecumenopolis, Apokolips. Widely regarded as one of the Justice League's worst adversaries, the greatest enemy of New Genesis and one of the biggest threats to the DC Multiverse, he seeks to bend everything to his will and remake the cosmos in his image, while searching for the Anti-Life Equation, an equation which seemingly consists of immense power that has the potential to dominate all life in the DC Multiverse.

Does animated Darkseid get more respect than comic book Darkseid

Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hoboseid

A lot of people call this age by a name like  Modern/Platinum/Diamond Age, and some of us feel that the new age of comics has lost its connect to the past stories
     In your opinion is the old Darkseid any way connected to the animated one? What age is Darkseid in today and why do many of us readers think the new guy is not the same as the old?  

I never remember the old one losing so many fights !! That's why I can't respect him, a lame new guy in a different era.  Many of us who picked up the classic stories complain that guys like Darkseid was de-powered or dumbed down after the Silver/Bronze age of comics. 

It seems like even the animated weaker version of Darkseid gets more respect from WB and its animators than he gets in our comics. 
    EVEN THOUGH THE EPISODES ARE ALMOST EXACT COPIES OF THE COMICS 

So what is it that makes him more respectful? Better dialogue? The fact he wasn't killed by some random plot device? Or maybe its the way the big screen is a better way to tell the villain's story?  

Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hoboseid

watch this animated Batman beat him, its straight from the comic 
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE5RXhPwlKc
    but  as the clip plays out the bad guy fails with a measure of respect....batman outclassed him in a game of chess, but for some reason the original comic fails to capture the essence of this story like the movie can

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sydpart2

Forgive me but I haven't read much of Darkseid in comics. The most exposure I've had to him was in Final Crisis...That being said he seemed pretty powerful and just downright evil in that. I really liked the inner monologue that Turpin gave as he became Darkseid "trying to fight Darkseid is like trying to tackle the ocean." The way people talk about him in everything I've read and seen he seems pretty powerful, but just seems to try and keep control of himself at all times...

MrStatham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrStatham

I don't think Darkseid is better off in the DCAU than he is in the comic books, really - Both had a sort of fall from grace that was far from ceremonious. DCAU Darkseid gets battered by a ton of cheap shots from Batman, and then Superman 'cuts loose' and batters him for a while, whilst in the comics, Batman beats up Darkseid in hand to hand, during Loeb's Superman/Batman stories, right? One is done to make the heroes look good briefly, to make it look as though they have a hope of beating him - Note that Superman's pretty much pounded down by Darkseid before Luthor turns up with the ALE. The other? Loeb always had zero grasp of powers and levels and how two characters should face off. Look at his Hulk run. Not that he's entirely to blame, given Darkseid had pretty much been wasted in the DCU since Kirby left. 

Morrison, for my money, is the only person who recognises the proper worth of the character. I don't agree with the designation of Darkseid as a 'God of Evil', but the way the character is used, basically as an unstoppable force gradually forcing everything to his will, is perfect. Morrison's Darkseid is terrifying because he's everywhere. He's in all of us, not just this giant stone slab of a God, but everywhere, and he will not stop until all the lights are out in the universe and he can hear nothing but one voice; His own. So Morrison is the only one, for me, who really, really gets Darkseid.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DEGRAAF

I thought that he had been mis-treated up until Final Crisis. I thought they portrayed him well there.
    Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Herokiller12344

He does from me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.