Darkseid Avatars?

#1 Posted by stevon (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard a lot of unsourced (without actual on panel feats) claims that Darkseid hasn't actually shown up in person since COIE, and didn't reappear with his full power/without the use of an avatar until Final Crisis.

There have been images, I think, from Mark Evanier's New Gods work that shows the New Gods of Apokolips and New Genesis as giant beings that could easily destroy a planet, and their avatars are actually created by boom tubes. This also happened in a Supergirl comic, where she fought some of the gods as large giants on Apokolips.

I've also heard that after Grant Morrison got his hands on the New Gods, he retconned all of their appearances and claimed that they never actually appeared in full form (or, at least, Darkseid didn't) until FC, and Darkseid's true form is this thing:

So, does anyone actually know how the New Gods, or at least Darkseid's, avatars work? How powerful is the true Darkseid and what feats does he have? Are the pre-crisis Darkseids, from Great Darkness Saga and original Kirby stories, avatars too? if that's the case, were the stronger feats of Darkseid, like the feats from Great Darkness Saga, fighting the spectre, transmutation/cheating death (Justice League 183-185), and timeline manipulation, just really strong avatars?

#2 Posted by BlackWind (5991 posts) - - Show Bio

@stevon: The true Darkseid, just being on our lower level of existence was making the universe collapse. Just by sitting on his throne.

#3 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind said:

@stevon: The true Darkseid, just being on our lower level of existence was making the universe collapse. Just by sitting on his throne.

#4 Posted by stevon (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank for the answers. Anyone happen to have any Kirby penned Darkseid feats?

#5 Posted by BlackWind (5991 posts) - - Show Bio

@stevon: I highly recommend checking KMC. A guy named Desaad has a beautiful Darkseid respect thread, showing him as he is meant to be seen.

#6 Posted by stevon (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind: Thanks, will check it out!

#7 Edited by COBRAMORPH (1554 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant better not have made Kirby's original versions just be "Avatars" of anything he made.

I'm sorry, but I dont think Grant, or even Alan Moore or Frank Miller have done anything on the same level as Kirby, Stan Lee, Bill Kane, Finger. They didnt create anything, all they've done is leech off their work.

Werent they supposed to just be a pantheon of modern day gods? Darkseid shouldnt be any different than Typhon, Set, or Loki.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.