Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Wolverine and Dakan discuss the ways they're double crossing each other as Romulus pays a visit.

THE GOOD
    Stephen Segovia is an excellent artist, with a great European style to his curves. The line work just flows smoothly throughout - - it's a shame he didn't have better material to work with. Way and Liu write some tight, sparse dialogue, even though it's lot more minimalistic than it ought to be.

THE BAD
    Something I was going to point as being off-putting about this book was the number of strange, kind of inappropriate low angle panels of characters' faces, practically looking up their noses.  I was going to blame Segovia for it until I realized that it was probably a case of him trying to find ways to make long talking head scenes visually interesting, because this issue is full of talking heads. Seriously, there's even a double-page splash of Wolverine talking at a coffee table. Sure, it's well-drawn, but that's almost example of self-parody. This wasn't an issue of decompression - - this book is just padded.  Also, I haven't been keeping up with Dark Wolverine, so I don't know when Romulus was introduced or who designed him, but the splash page revealing him had to be one of the most unintentionally goofy images I've seen in a while. His "claw gloves" are laughably impractical and his whole get-up makes him look like Sabretooth redesigned to look "extreme" in the worst 90's comics.

THE VERDICT
    This is an example of good writers and a good artist whose talents are dulled by padding. This storyline is supposed to be four issues long, but if the pacing continues like this, I think it's only going to be about an issue and half of plot. It could be enjoyable if the decompression were used to show some breathtaking "money" splashes, but instead we get double spreads of... Wolverine talking at a table. And I'll say again how silly Romulus is.   

2/5
    KingLoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By KingLoki

Not so good, eh?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Ouch. I thought it was better than that.

here's a better rendition of romulus.

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NXH

Is it me or does Stephen Segovia's art looks very simliar to Leinil Francis Yu  's work?

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By doordoor123

I picked this up and sped-read it. No idea what was going on. Can someone tell me where i should start reading Dark Wolverine... (sorry i dont read much marvel)

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

loved it, alot. very well executed.
    this did however stray very far from anything going in this series, and was
    actually a continuation directly off of the current arc in Wolverine Origins, 
    so persons who havent read that might get thrown for a loop.

Nefilim927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Nefilim927

I was kinda disappointed with the whole overall reveal of Romulus in general, but I did like this issue.  I don't mind an issue without too much action but at the same time I really wish this artist was used for a more exciting issue.
    Avatar image for the_ace_of_knaves
    the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By the ace of knaves

Romulus has gotta be the lamest looking anything in comic book history. Who the hell designed him? Stevie Wonder? Looks terrible.

And this book was boring as hell. Blatantly just a filler until the next ish.

Gennadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gennadius

I agree very boring it was like an episode of youre favorite serie where 2 people end up in the same room and they show like important things from previous episode's but then youve seen this episode and the important things like 10 times.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.