Dark Reign jumped the shark with the Dark X-Men

#1 Posted by Tamed (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not typically a fan of Marvel 'big events'. However, I began picking up Dark Avengers since it started, and really enjoyed the fractured chemistry of the Dark Avengers. I liked all the spin-offs, especially Dark Wolverine. I liked seeing the in-fighting and Norman struggling to keep control of a bunch of people who, by rights, shouldn't work together..

However, with the last two issues, the series has gone steadily to shit. I picked up Dark Avengers 8 and was HEAVILY disappointed. The Dark X-Men storyline is murky and requires too much reading of the other issues, in my opinion. The purity of the premise has been polluted, and I have now lost any interest in what's going on. I guess they needed to throw the X-Men in there somewhere (this is Marvel after all) but this new team was so hastily put together and presented to the reader in the last few weeks that I'm struggling to see the point in it.

Anyone else got a problem with the introduction of the Dark X-Men or Dark Reign's direction in general? I hope Dark Reign ends well because I don't think I can keep throwing money away on this..

#2 Posted by danhimself (22444 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't had any problem with it at all and the only other book that you need to read is Uncanny X-men
#3 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I am really disappointed with the Utopia story arc, and can't wait for it to end.

#4 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

It's bloody awful.  Utopia is an island mansion off the San Francisco shoreline because Americans don't want mutants living among them?  How is this any different from hiding the public?  Or signalling to the rest of the world that they're all in one spot and ready to be attacked at home & caught off-guard in the middle of the night... yet again.  What was the point in Graymalkin Industries?  Why make this big deal about their fantastic new home in San Francisco if they were only going to move down the road a few months later?? 

#5 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how Dark X-Men was the first time we're seeing Cloak and Dagger in ages, and yet, they've had a total of 3 lines between them

Tandy: "Tyrone this is wrong"
Tyrone" "yeah Tandy very wrong"
Tandy: "yup it sure is."

#6 Posted by Tamed (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm hoping the focus goes back to Norman and his struggle with the Green Goblin. I was really intrigued by that, pre-Utopia. Seemed like a great way to show that he's not as in control as he seemed to be in the early Dark Avenger issues,  though now, he seems like an ungodly tactical genius with no mention of his struggles with the Goblin.

#7 Posted by Lifeguard85 (392 posts) - - Show Bio

Like some things, its a nice idea, ive always wanted to see the villains win at something, but its just so boring because its obvious that the good guys are going to win in the end.

#8 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe Karla upped his prescription.

#9 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7659 posts) - - Show Bio

I must admit, i am enjoying Utopia but it isnt quite as good as i expected it to be.

#10 Posted by OhTru (1583 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone still reading it?

Seems Nate is back next month

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.