Follow

Dark Horse Comics

Publisher »

Dark Horse Comics is one of the largest independent comic book publishers, best known for Hellboy and various Star Wars titles.

Review: Predators #2 of 4

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

No Caption Provided
    Predators is a four part mini-series adapted from the upcoming film produced by Robert Rodriguez. The comic is published by Dark Horse Comics. 

The Good

When you pick up this issue, you don't just get one story- you get two. Generally I am not so crazy about issues that have more than one story (like Brubaker's Cap which contains a second story focusing on Nomad) but for whatever reason, the second story in this issue held my interest. In fact, I may have enjoyed it more than the first. I think the reason I did not mind this being a two part issue is because the stories are so closely connected. The second part is probably the more interesting of the two and follows the character played by actor Adrian Brody in the upcoming film. Interestingly enough, the artistic adaptation of the character looks exactly like the actor, as you can see based on the cover art. In this second story, you get the sense that the character is a hired gun,  and that while he has done this countless times, he is struggling with the ethics of his actions and his responsibility. I love character development and thought provoking stories where characters are self aware and self analytical, so I enjoyed this.

The Bad

If you do not read the first issue in this mini-series, then you might be completely lost when it comes to understanding the first part of the story. In general, the first part of the book was relatively boring and consisted of a drawn out scene of arguing and fighting between two men. Not exactly my cup of tea. The narrative showed no indication of why they had been fighting, either. This could scene could have easily been condensed to two pages, as it felt rather drawn out. The art is not terrible, but I was not blown away. 

The Verdict- 3.5/5

The first part in this issue is not a good reflection of what is happening in the story. I enjoyed the second story because I felt there was considerably more depth than the first, and I felt I cared about the character- which is important if you want to write a good comic. The book is not bad, however, and I will say I was entertained. It has made me look forward to the Predators film, produced by Robert Rodriguez and considering Rodriguez was directly involved with the making of this  comic, I have relatively high expectations for the film. Fans of the Predators franchise will definitely enjoy this comic.
    RiceFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RiceFox

I wish there'd be more Predator projects that didn't rely on the need for human characters.

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By The Devil Tiger
    @RiceFox said:
    "I wish there'd be more Predator projects that didn't rely on the need for human characters. "

@RiceFox:
    Excellent idea !
    Preacherl2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Preacherl2k

I still want to see the movie due to who is directing it!

Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aquamariner

Read the first issue and it SUCKED beyond belief! A complete bore. NOT picking this one up, but I'm deffinitely watching the film. 

I think that some Aliens or Predator comics miss the whole concept behind the characters. These films work because of interesting characters in interesting situations facing off against superior monster-like creatures. But these creatures are always sorrounded by mistery and shadows, and not ONCE do we get that in this comic book. In my opinion the whole 4-part prequel is just a boring quick-cash maker and does NOTHING for the film. 

And what is up with humans in Predator gear?! I've always hated that!

Yaujtapool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Yaujtapool

Its a pretty good comic, but the movie is what i am anticipating .

Blacklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Blacklight

Did the 3rd and 4th of this predators comic come out yet?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.