Follow

Dark Horse Comics

Publisher »

Dark Horse Comics is one of the largest independent comic book publishers, best known for Hellboy and various Star Wars titles.

Is there a "Dark Horse" universe?

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By HaloKing343

Hellboy/BPRD and Aliens/Predator and the different Star Wars lines are the only things I can think of that cross. Is there an actual finite "Dark Horse Universe"?

Avatar image for richard_s__preston
    Richard S! Preston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Short answer: No. Long answer: Not really. Dark Horse is rather like Image, in that whenever there is a crossover between titles, it's generally more a one-off thing, although I believe they did have a stab at a "DHU" in the 90's (don't quote me on that). Also, BPRD is more a spin-off of Hellboy than anything else, albeit a very well-written one.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Richard is right in a sense. Dark Horse lines are mostly self-contained. But Hellboy and BPRD are in the same universe, self-contained in their own line.

Argantyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Argantyr

Dark Horse comics had a Universe that was titled 'Comics' Greatest World' in the 1990s and it appears to still technically exist, it's just rarely used. Such characters who were featured in this sort of multi-title universe included such characters as Ghost, X, Monster, Titan, and more. To be honest, the characters were pretty well written, unlike the obnoxious creations that got Image off the ground such as Supreme, Troll, Youngblood, etc. I actually discovered this after I decided to do some research on an issue I'd found called 'Comics' Greatest World: Monster' which was part of a 12 issue series, each one debuting a different character that would go on to make up such a world. The three most popular characters had to be Titan, X and Ghost [Whom had a crossover with Hellboy and even Batgirl!].

It's likely that this project flopped as Image was at the time starting to establish itself under Liefelds EXTREME era of comics.

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#5  Edited By TronHammer

It would be wonderful if Dark Horse Comics continued to produce comics featuring their own characters.

I wonder if they don't do that because they feel it would not make enough money or if it would interfere with creator owned comics and licenses for Star Wars and others.

Vicc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Vicc

Ironic, isn't it Dark Horse? It was low sales that drove Comic's Greatest World off and now it's low sales that'll give us the chance to enjoy Dark Horse Heroes once again... One little advice though from a customer since 1991. The current Ghost series is, any way you look at it, a flop. The first story arc's quality was mediocre at best. If you keep letting this happen, the next thing that'll be driven off is the company itself. It's the perfect time to bring in a new creative team.

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Is Captain Midnight owned by Dark Horse Comics?

Or is Captain Midnight only licensed by Dark Horse Comics?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.