Off My Mind: How Osborn's New Dark Avengers Team Avoids Past Mistakes [Spoilers]

• 111 results
Posted by G-Man (30672 posts) - - Show Bio

Norman Osborn is back, free and more of a threat than ever. This is a man that will go to any means to get what he wants. He may have been revealed to the world as being a bad guy but even being incarcerated couldn't stop him.

After the Secret Invasion started by the Skrulls, Osborn came out on top and was seen as a hero. This gave him the opportunity to create his own team of [Dark] Avengers. With each member evil member taking on a heroic identity, Osborn's scheme allowed him to fool the world for a period.

It turned out controlling the villains he selected wasn't as easy as he thought and his empire soon came crashing around him. With his newfound freedom, Norman is falling back into familiar territory. He's made the decision to create yet another version of the Dark Avengers, but will he make wise choices in who he recruits to stand against the heroes?

(There will be some spoilers for New Avengers #18 so be sure you read that first).

== TEASER ==
Dark Avengers, v 1.0

Following the same tactic as before, Osborn is seeking out those that have a grudge against members of the Avengers. Norman realizes what makes the Avengers work. He has spent time thinking about the team dynamic and how the different powers compliment each other and brings success to them. In an attempt to mirror that dynamic, he is selecting those that have a similar counterpart in the Avengers. He knows the psychological effect of who represents who could give him an edge when facing the actual Avengers.

The Power House

Norman's secret weapon in terms of strength before was Sentry. The problem was, Sentry proved a little difficult to control/manipulate due to his mental instability.

The original incarnation of Avengers had Hulk as a member. The brute strength he can deliver could be the deciding factor when facing superpowered enemies. For this reason, Norman tracked down Skaar.

As the son of Hulk, Skaar has some major daddy issues. His goal upon arriving on Earth was to kill his father. Despite the hatred inside, there was still some good that prevented him from completing this task. With anger still inside, his strength and skills will prove to be an asset to Norman's team.

There's also the fact that Skaar isn't exactly up to date on all the superhuman activities. He doesn't know how bad of a guy Osborn is and that makes him easier to manipulate.

The Archer

Hawkeye has always brought some heart to the team. His skills with a bow and arrow make him perfect for taking out enemies from a distance. Norman went with Bullseye the last time around due to his amazing skills with projectiles. The problem was Bullseye was too evil, as well as a bit crazy. Norman was able to use him but had to do some serious cleaning up when Bullseye killed innocents in public.

There is also some bad history between Norman and Clint so it makes sense that Norman would want to make this personal. Clint recently discovered that his brother, Barney, was actually alive. Barney surfaced with a deep hatred for his brother. Having similar skills to Clint will give the team a sniper while also giving a way to throw Clint off his game should the two teams clash.

The Web-Slinger

Spider-Man has been a recent addition to the team in terms of the overall history. He was quickly proven to be an asset in terms of having the skills and abilities needed to overcome the villains.

Choosing Mac Gargan (who possessed the Venom symbiote) was a mistake simply because Gargan is a failure. He has been defeated time and time again by Spider-Man with ease. The Venom suit did give him a slight advantage but it wasn't nearly enough when fighting Spider-Man.

And Norman Osborn hates Spider-Man with a passion. Trying to find a personal spider-counterpart could add to the satisfaction but there really isn't anyone he could turn to (especially since Kaine is turning over a new leaf). While imprisoned in a secret facility, Norman met Apaec, the Decapitator. With the nature of his powers and his disturbing appearance, he's bound to prove to be a match for Spider-Man.

The Berserker Mutant

Wolverine is another newer addition to the Avengers. Norman's mistake in choosing Daken to be Wolverine's counterpart was Daken isn't truly evil. He does bad things but they are to suit his needs. He does what he feels best benefit what he wants. Daken hated Wolverine, his father, but there was still some good inside that made it hard for Norman to fully control him.

Enter Gorgon. He is a deadly guy that 'almost assassinated Nick Fury.' He went toe-to-toe with Wolverine and nearly defeated him as well. With telepathy that allows him to see into a person's soul along with enhanced reflexes, strength, a healing factor and several different fighting techniques, it's no surprise he'd want to pose as Wolverine, especially since he caused him to 'die.'

The Chaotic One

When the Avengers had Scarlet Witch on the team, she added a wild card factor. With Dr. June Covington, aka Toxic Doxie, he has that unpredictable (and crazy) factor. June has the ability to manipulate her bones and joints but more importantly, she has a a neurotoxin in her blood that can kill a person in ten seconds.

This is where Norman's plan starts to veer off a little. There really isn't a firm connection betwen Toxic Doxie and Scarlet Witch. June also doesn't have a grudge against her or the Avengers. She's just doing it due to her romantic (ugh) ties to Norman.

The Rest

While not fully seen, there are a couple more members to Norman's Dark Avengers. Superia had a recent run-in with the New Avengers. After her defeat, she was incarcerated but a note with the Goblin symbol was slipped under her door. She definitely has a hatred for the team since they cost her getting the Infinity Formula. She will be taking the guise of Ms. Marvel.

Superia also brings another gift. She, along with AIM, managed to gain possession of Ragnarok, the clone of Thor that killed Bill Foster during Civil War. Once they get him fixed, it's going to add to their firepower.

And with that, we now have the NEW Dark Avengers.

He has less wild cards this time around. There are still a couple unknown factors but these members are ones he can trust a little more. They (mostly) have their heads in the game. Will Norman's new team be a match for the Avengers and New Avengers? If he's smart, he'll take them on one team at a time. Things are about to get ugly for the Avengers.

Staff
#1 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda like the older "flawed" roster.

#2 Posted by leokearon (1765 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish Osborn was actually leading the team in costume

#3 Posted by JMLG (135 posts) - - Show Bio

at the end of the #18, he asks where can he find decent suit of armor - so Iron Patriot is clearly coming back

#4 Posted by AwesomeAquaman (153 posts) - - Show Bio

These guys are chumps compared to the original Dark Avengers!!! ...but they still look interesting...!

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Guess what's gonna happen?

The Avengers are gonna kick his ass.

Can we please just stick with Stormin-Norman as Spidey's exclusive bad guy? He had his time in the spotlight.

#6 Posted by IronHerc (93 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe this is a stronger team. Not many well known but you can see they are deadly (How can gorgon be wolverine? does he have adamantium claws as well? don't know they guy that's why I ask). I find this team to be somewhat better and with a future iron patriot and ragnarok....things will be hard for our heroes

#7 Posted by obscurefan (274 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll admit that this lineup serves as good counterpoints to the Avengers and could be good villains, but I'm just so done with Bendis at this point. When I saw who he had on this lineup I realized he's a guy who just uses whatever he currently finds to be fun and whatever is hot at the moment, which can be fun if occasionally done, but he's done it so many times that his stories just seem like fanfiction at this point.

#8 Posted by save.me.now (207 posts) - - Show Bio

The original dark avengers were OK, with some notable exceptions as far as I'm concerned. Daken kinda sucks, I've been reading his solo book since issue # 1 and he hasn't gotten any better as a character. I will at least admit that it took wolvie a century or two to become the character he his today... so it should only take daken about twice as long. The best part of Gargan venom was his jokes, which were't even that great, he needs to stick to..not being venom. Sentry was an odd choice, but not to a ridiculous degree. I think it would have been interesting to have at least one original DA member aside from Norman but I still fully support a team of fresh faces for the Dark avengers.

#9 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@obscurefan said:

I'll admit that this lineup serves as good counterpoints to the Avengers and could be good villains, but I'm just so done with Bendis at this point. When I saw who he had on this lineup I realized he's a guy who just uses whatever he currently finds to be fun and whatever is hot at the moment, which can be fun if occasionally done, but he's done it so many times that his stories just seem like fanfiction at this point.

Hell, they are fanfiction at this point. I will forever stand by my statement that he and Geoff Johns are the same writer in different bodies. But that's a topic for another day. My reaction to this whole thing (and all of Bendis' Avengers work of the past 4/5 years)...YAWN.

#10 Posted by leokearon (1765 posts) - - Show Bio
@JMLG said:

at the end of the #18, he asks where can he find decent suit of armor - so Iron Patriot is clearly coming back

Hurray!
#11 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

@AwesomeAquaman said:

These guys are chumps compared to the original Dark Avengers!!! ...but they still look interesting...!

Yeah. And what ever happened to "The Revengers"??

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32871 posts) - - Show Bio

Why on earth would Gorgon join this team?

#13 Posted by fivestarga (239 posts) - - Show Bio

Fuckin A!!! Loved Osborn's first run and can't wait to see what Bendis does with him this time around. I'm subscribing asap.

#14 Posted by fivestarga (239 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone please, get the man a suit of armor. I love the fact that Osborn is hated even more than Cyclops. Two favorite characters, both getting the chance to shine, good times!

#15 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

Why on earth would Gorgon join this team?

Because Bendis is an idiot.

#16 Posted by bunkerbuster05 (303 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Reign is my favorite event of the past decade for Marvel. I love Norman Osborn, and Dark Reign was a year long birthday present. More Norman/Dark Avengers is always welcome!

#17 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Will they call this more evil and dangerous team..the DARKER AVENGERS?

Or wait, how about, the NEW DARK AVENGERS!!

someone put Osborn in a jail, for good this time. Quick!

#18 Posted by Chaos Burn (1776 posts) - - Show Bio

That Gorgon-as-Wolverine looks like his leg is gonna pop

#19 Edited by positronic (42 posts) - - Show Bio

OK, so Osborn has formed his new Cabal (Viper/Madame Hydra, Monica Rappacini, Gorgon, Superia, and himself). Combined with the forces allied with them (Hydra, A.I.M., The Hand outcasts, H.A.M.M.E.R.) this group may be even more formidable than the last. It would seem there are less wild cards (like Doom and White Queen) in this new Cabal. Since the Cabal was always secret, I think we can count this in the plus column on Osborn's part.

Then we have the new Dark Avengers (Superia as Ms. Marvel, Skaar as Hulk, Ragnarok as Thor, Ai Apaec/Decapitator as Spider-Man, Gorgon as Wolverine, Barney Barton/Trickshot II as Hawkeye, June Covington/Toxic Doxie as Scarlet Witch, and Osborn as Iron Patriot). Quite an impressive lineup power-wise, and they should prove easier to control (except for maybe Skaar) than the last group of Dark Avengers.

Now here's where I don't see how this is going to work. Previously, Osborn (despite his history as the Green Goblin) was accepted as the hero of the Secret Invasion. The real Avengers were still on the outs with the goverment due to the events of Civil War. But all that has changed now. The real Avengers have regained their status in the eyes of the U.S. goverment, and Osborn's crimes are publicly known. This isn't like the first time around, or like when Zemo assembled the original team of Thunderbolts with the idea of posing as good guys.

Osborn's new Dark Avengers can't even pass as close enough to the real heroes to fool people, since there are obvious physical differences -- Ms. Marvel is a blonde while Superia has black hair, Scarlet Witch has auburn/brown hair while Toxic Doxie's is blonde, Peter Parker doesn't have six arms, and if I'm not mistaken, Gorgon is way too tall to pass as Wolverine. So what then is the point (other than having various counterparts to match powers with the real Avengers) in trying to take on fake heroic identities? Without his former privileged position within the government, Osborn doesn't have the power base he once had, either. So how can they beat the Avengers if these new Dark Avengers will clearly be perceived by the public as bad guys? Does this make ANY sense to anybody?

#20 Posted by mrmisanthrope (103 posts) - - Show Bio

Another article that reads more like an advertisement.

"Enter Gorgon. He is a deadly guy that 'almost assassinated Nick Fury.' He went toe-to-toe with Wolverine and nearly defeated him as well." Ooooh, color me impressed. A villain who almost defeated the heroes he went up against, but didn't.

They're all nobodies. The only remotely interesting addition is Skaar, and he's still a poor man's Hulk. Also, I'm pretty sure one of the writers said at some point, there is no good in Daken, he's a sociopath. There's more good in Skaar than there is in Daken. None of these z-listers donning versions of Avengers costumes make this premise sound interesting, when people were getting sick of it the first time.

#21 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3549 posts) - - Show Bio
Notice some similarities?

I'm only just know hearing of Toxic Doxie. Does anyone else get the feeling that she's Marvel's attempt at Harley Quinn? Only with some actual powers and a bit more psychotic.

Both are blond doctors of questionable morals that are mentally unstable enough to not only free a lunatic, but sleep with him, too. Not to mention seem overly eager to do whatever he wants.

Their code names are sort of bad puns. Harleen Quinzel called herself "Harley Quinn". June Covington is a doctor who specializes in chemicals. She calls herself Toxic Doxie. That sort of sounds like a weird way of saying a doctor.

#22 Posted by The Stegman (23171 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok..this is just lame, the first time we got Norman's Dark Avengers it was pretty exciting and fresh, this just seems like a lame attempt (both by Marvel and Osborn) to try to duplicate success, and we all know it's not going to last

#23 Posted by G-Man (30672 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmisanthrope said:

"Enter Gorgon. He is a deadly guy that 'almost assassinated Nick Fury.' He went toe-to-toe with Wolverine and nearly defeated him as well." Ooooh, color me impressed. A villain who almost defeated the heroes he went up against, but didn't.

I only mentioned that in quotes because that was his claim. Superia even mocked him and replied "Everyones almost assassinated Nick Fury."

Staff
#24 Posted by Croi (160 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it just me, or does Daken... I dunno, lean a little to one side.

#25 Posted by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio

"This is a man that will go to any means to get what he wants."

What is it that he wants? I've only known Norman as the Green Goblin, and missed the whole Dark Avenger thing. Have his goals changed since his days as the Green Goblin? Is Norman after power, and world domination, or simply revenge? Do we even know?

#26 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
Gorgon killed Wolverine, then resurrected him as the Hand's pawn in Enemy of the State. He later defeated him and Elektra at the same time. He also killed Phobos, Ares' son during Secret Warriors. He's much faster and more skilled than either Wolverine or Daken could ever hope to be. Wolverine himself has admitted it, and killing him was a stroke of massive luck on his part.
#27 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of these characters I either didn't know about or don't care about. Gone are the days where a villain team is made of up a "best of" of a character's rogues gallery I suppose.

#28 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually excited by this new Dark Avengers, only because most of the characters that appeared in the Osborn miniseries especially June Convington.

#29 Posted by LordRequiem (1309 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to know how Apaec shrinks down to that size from a massive spider abdomen. Also the best thing about the first incarnation of Dark Avengers was that half of them [Sentry (Void was a separate personality), Protector and Ares] weren't really evil at all. Thses guys seem like the Z-listers, honestly the only ones I'd heard of apart from Norman was Apaec (in the prison) and Skaar. Couldn't Norman change his persona back to GG instead of being the Iron Patriot again? Or something different.

#30 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmm....Revengers, Dark Avengers, what's next? Vengeance Squad? An evil superhero team, how original! :P I personally preferred Wonder Man's Revengers.

#31 Edited by CombatSpoon86 (831 posts) - - Show Bio

Rinse, Recycle, Repeat. Bendis loves those methods. Nothing original from him anymore. Even though the team has some wildcard members, This won't be as good.

#32 Posted by JMLG (135 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xenozoic Shaman said:

"This is a man that will go to any means to get what he wants."

What is it that he wants? I've only known Norman as the Green Goblin, and missed the whole Dark Avenger thing. Have his goals changed since his days as the Green Goblin? Is Norman after power, and world domination, or simply revenge? Do we even know?

he wants it all - all the power in the world and every good guy having their noodles blown out

#33 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4692 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh.

#34 Posted by entropy_aegis (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

That guy is'nt Gorgon(atleast not logical for him),but maybe i have'nt sampled enough Bendis,he could very well do something stupid.Still now Norman has Hydra,Hand and AIM.Weaker leadership in the organizations may have aided Norman(aside from Gorgon i did'nt see anyone from the organizations worth mentioning).

#35 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis: Gorgon asked Osborn which Avenger he should be, and Osborn replied that he could be anyone he liked. The only slot worth filling would be Wolverine.
#36 Posted by entropy_aegis (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

@entropy_aegis: Gorgon asked Osborn which Avenger he should be, and Osborn replied that he could be anyone he liked. The only slot worth filling would be Wolverine.

I realize,but based on Osborn comment where he acknowledged Gorgons independence i would have thought that he would just stay in the shadows,instead of running around looking like a monkey.Terrible IMO

#37 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

@Morpheus_ said:

I realize,but based on Osborn comment where he acknowledged Gorgons independence i would have thought that he would just stay in the shadows,instead of running around looking like a monkey.Terrible IMO

I agree that it doesn't really make sense for Gorgon. It's not like he ever expressed any desire to kill Wolverine in revenge for their final fight in Enemy of the State, and he had ample time being alive to do so if he really wanted to. Also, he wouldn't need to run around in tights to accomplish it.
#38 Posted by entropy_aegis (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Morpheus_ said:

I agree that it doesn't really make sense for Gorgon. It's not like he ever expressed any desire to kill Wolverine in revenge for their final fight in Enemy of the State, and he had ample time being alive to do so if he really wanted to. Also, he wouldn't need to run around in tights to accomplish it.

What about that spider thing?How did he gain the symbiote,does'nt Flash have it?

#39 Posted by Vermillo (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok....Another run at the Dark Avengers really Marvel? Cant we try something I don't know different from a change instead of recycling old stories. I didn't care for the Dark Avengers because they didn't really do anything but pissed of the Avengers. I mean what really the point of having the Dark Avengers now? None. While the Dark Reign was a good run it wasn't because of Dark Avengers but on how the real Heroes had to fight back. Also They let Norman out of jail why??? The man haven't done anything right or original since being green goblin. He a poor marvel attempt for a Lex Luther. He just a copycat. So I don't know why anybody love or like him as a character? Also what up with all these characters with Dad issues lately? First Skar- Who as far as I read stop hating his father, Daken- Who just looking for a reason to exist. I still don't see the point in this character or why he still hate his Dad when it been proven over and over again that Logan had nothing to do with his mother's death or his upbringing. All he seem to be is a weaker version of sabertooth with wolverine blood in him. Sabertooth was a threat while Daken is just an annoyance. Also why would Gorgon be part of this when he own Hydra? Again I don't see any point of this except to annoy the real Avengers or to cash in on the post Dark Avenger run.

#40 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

@Morpheus_ said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Morpheus_ said:

What about that spider thing?How did he gain the symbiote,does'nt Flash have it?

It's not a symbiote, he just transformed him into a more humanoid form (the whole scene was a direct homage to Dark Avengers # 1). You should read up on Apaec, he's a total beast.
#41 Posted by entropy_aegis (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vermillo said:

Ok....Another run at the Dark Avengers really Marvel? Cant we try something I don't know different from a change instead of recycling old stories. I didn't care for the Dark Avengers because they didn't really do anything but pissed of the Avengers. I mean what really the point of having the Dark Avengers now? None. While the Dark Reign was a good run it wasn't because of Dark Avengers but on how the real Heroes had to fight back. Also They let Norman out of jail why??? The man haven't done anything right or original since being green goblin. He a poor marvel attempt for a Lex Luther. He just a copycat. So I don't know why anybody love or like him as a character? Also what up with all these characters with Dad issues lately? First Skar- Who as far as I read stop hating his father, Daken- Who just looking for a reason to exist. I still don't see the point in this character or why he still hate his Dad when it been proven over and over again that Logan had nothing to do with his mother's death or his upbringing. All he seem to be is a weaker version of sabertooth with wolverine blood in him. Sabertooth was a threat while Daken is just an annoyance. Also why would Gorgon be part of this when he own Hydra? Again I don't see any point of this except to annoy the real Avengers or to cash in on the post Dark Avenger run.

Grgon own Hand not HYDRA(or atleast that's the impression i got after reading this).

#42 Posted by entropy_aegis (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Morpheus_ said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Morpheus_ said:

It's not a symbiote, he just transformed him into a more humanoid form (the whole scene was a direct homage to Dark Avengers # 1). You should read up on Apaec, he's a total beast.

Spider Island,Osborn and Venom are on my "to read" list.Once i have the time,i will.

Gorgon:i almost killed Fury.

Osborn:everyone's done that.

PWNED.

#43 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis

Gorgon: I killed Wolverine and the God of fear.
Osborn: ...I can't even kill Spider-Man.

Seems more apt.

Osborn's mini was great. Apaec fights the Immortal Weapons and Shang-Chi in SI: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu.
#44 Posted by daredevil21134 (10934 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this idea

#45 Posted by entropy_aegis (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

@entropy_aegis:

Gorgon: I killed Wolverine and the God of fear.
Osborn: ...I can't even kill Spider-Man.

Seems more apt.

Osborn's mini was great. Apaec fights the Immortal Weapons and Shang-Chi in SI: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu.

LOL,is venom an ongoing or a limited series?

#46 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis: On-going. Good series, too.
#47 Posted by entropy_aegis (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

@entropy_aegis: On-going. Good series, too.

Thanks.

#48 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

What's the reasoning behind turning a giant Spider-God into a much smaller form?! It's like turning your tank into a motorcycle!

Also, it says a lot about Bendis if he's reusing this premise again with a much weaker roster. God, I dislike the Avengers/New Avengers now.

#49 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

.....Eh, I'll give it a try.

#50 Posted by DATNIGGA (1186 posts) - - Show Bio

why cant osborn just leave there orignal looks? lol i mean i know hes trying to be the avengers but... come one bro

im curious tho weres the green goblin?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.