Follow

Dark Avengers

Team » Dark Avengers appears in 445 issues.

Originally an idea concocted by Norman Osborn, the "Dark Avengers" were Osborn's own personal counterpart to the Avengers. The team has since become independent from Osborn's visions and mad quest for power.

Dark Avengers #12 Reviewed!

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Didn't he say he likes to dictate in the nude because the ideas flow better that way?

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By No_Name_
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " Didn't he say he likes to dictate in the nude because the ideas flow better that way? "
    Yeah. It distracts everyone he's trying to preach to....I guess
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dr. Detfink
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir: That was one of the funniest moments of Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts run leading up to Songbird giving Norman the ass kicking he deserved.  
     -----------------------

I hated this issue. I wrote a review explaining how pointless it was making Victoria Hand into a lesbian. At least in Rucka's Batwoman origin, we discover Kate's sexuality leads to her getting kicked out of the military and further fueling her anger to serve a cause she believes in. This was just an exercise into stupidity because Hand's origin served no purpose than appearing in a shirt and panties. Never mind the book never explained why Owen Reese went bad again. This is a reformed bad guy who saved every one in Secret Wars II. A little back story would have been better served. 

Overall Dark Avengers has been taking the Thunderbolts Ellis concept and just imitating it unevenly. I get Moonstone has been sharing her bed a lot but is there an ulterior motive? During Ellis' run he wanted to prove that a bunch of psychopaths could never function as a superhero team without turning on each other. In Dark Avengers, the personality quirks have no purpose. Give me something meaningful.
    SwaggaB0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SwaggaB0y

Norman didn't care if he was naked because he is packing heat.  (wink)

Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dr. Detfink: I just flat out stopped reading once Warren left
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6  Edited By Dr. Detfink
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir: you were wise to. I kept going and while Diggle tried as best he could, you know it's not a good sign when they had to use Agents of Atlas as an adversary.
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dr. Detfink: if you can't get Andy to save a black ops team oriented book you know your in trouble
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8  Edited By The_Martian

Why is Noh-Varr still appearing on the covers?

Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nobody: attempting to lure readers into buying
    Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Midnightist

I really hope something good happens with Sentry because I'm starting to feel like he's nothing more than just a fuctioning deus ex machina. Whoever writes him just has powers or details just show up out of no where

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AngelFrost

Noman is totally hot.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    "Didn't he say he likes to dictate in the nude because the ideas flow better that way? "

Yeah, and it was only funny ONCE. Now it's just.... overused.
    marvelboy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By marvelboy117
    @Nobody:
    i know dude like marvel i guess is getting cheap and dont want to spoil that noh varr left in issue 6
    marvelboy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By marvelboy117
    @Nobody:
    i know dude like marvel i guess is getting cheap and dont want to spoil that noh varr left in issue 6
    Pez85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pez85

Seeing the picture of Osborn (naked) standing with the Avengers made me think. Ms Marvel/Moonstone is willing to hump pretty much anything with a pulse. It disappointed me that we didn't see get all hot and bothered by Norman's.....ummm little Goblin? I think that would've been fantastic.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Babs: "It's a comic book and that's what they do!" ..... LOL! 

I wanna read this issue... so bad!!! I know Bendis is not a favorite for most, but I know he is capable of telling an awesome story! 
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Welcome back and it's nice to see things kick off with a review.  It's a harsh review as well. I'm curious what this would of gotten without those last two pages.

Well, everyone is already wearing skin tight outfits. Where are any of them going to pull a spare pair of pants? Though it is a little odd how everyone is just leaving him twisting in the wind.........literally. I guess Venom could of offered him a little symbiotic skives, but would you really want something alive such as that covering your nethers? It would of been a nice touch if as she was standing there node if everyone's heads were obviously looking as far away as possible to the sky.

Funny you should mention how Victoria has all her clothes removed. I wrote about that issue in a recent BLOG entry.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cmaprice
    @Pez85 said:
    " Seeing the picture of Osborn (naked) standing with the Avengers made me think. Ms Marvel/Moonstone is willing to hump pretty much anything with a pulse. It disappointed me that we didn't see get all hot and bothered by Norman's.....ummm little Goblin? I think that would've been fantastic. "
    It was good enough for Gwen Stacy. Heh.
    cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cmaprice

To be fair, if all of my molecules had been torn apart and put back together, I wouldn't worry about pants so much as other, more important concerns.

CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CosmicSpiral
    @Nobody: Good question, and I have no idea why.  

One thing I never understood about this story is why MM is so unhesitant to use his powers against people who invade his private space, but he needs to have an agreed-upon settlement to be 'left alone'. Could he not transport himself to some far far away place and recreate his ideal environment? He had no problem making his fantasy supporters. Another thing they missed (which would have been awesome to discuss) is finding out why he still wears that ridiculous costume after all those years inactive. Something being extremely repressed?
    DanN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DanN

@Babs:

I think they handled Norman Osborn's nakedness perfectly.  The only one to object was the lesbian, Victoria Hand, which augmented her character and also served as comic relief for the reader.

The characters not giving a shit whether he was naked or not reflects that they're adults, and not a bunch of little kids.  Plus, comparing how you'd feel naked in his situation doesn't quite work...women are far more self-conscious of their nakedness than men.  In high school, sports players shower naked together!  Couple this with the fact that all of them went through a bunch of molecular-level trauma, while also dealing with Sentry's insanity--can you really blame them for not focusing on something so insignificant?  It's a naked body for pete's sake, everyone's got one!

Good review otherwise.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Yung ANcient One

if i was tore apart particles by particles then put back to normal... NO Way am i gonna ask for anything else IM Lucky he gave me back anything... IMO that is... i be scared to ask

timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By timrothsays

Sentry's new powers? pff
    now he can destroy Asgard blinking an eye

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#24  Edited By SevanGrim

yeah i understood norman's nudity not really being an issue, and id like to assume MM took Victoria's clothes because he didnt trust her and was searching for weapons( its easy to assume with his power sometimes he just does things like that without thinking about it. also a symbolic "naked before you" situation i guess).
     My problem was that marvel had yet another Surrender. First Captain America, and now HAMMER. I know HAMMER was really just saying it to get  their AVENGERS and Norman back, but bottom line they really had squat. If Sentry didnt gain a new douchebag power then MM would have gotten what he wanted, and even worse, HAMMER would have given it to him. with their level of authority, that was a negotiation. And they surrendered. Why does Marvel seem to thing every American force needs to bend over and present? i dont like it.

and i laughed out loud in shop and almost bought this issue when i read about Sentry. It has always been only a matter of time before something like that was done to make Marvel's Superman into an UBERMAN. But once the giddy clutches of insanity loosened, i put the comic down and spent my money on a lovely Ben 10 watch instead. im very happy with my purchase. 

and id like to thank you @Babs. from now on, the S on Sentry's golden liddle midriff stands for "special".

drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By drawme

Great artwork.

Avatar image for hero_vs__villian
    hero vs. villian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By hero vs. villian

I can't wait for the Siege to end so Marvel will stop trying to screw me over by putting horrible stories like Dark Reign, and The Siege, and and charging extra money for a thousand awful tie-in books. Really, what they are doing is a shady practice, it's WRONG to do what they are doing to fans.

Avatar image for hero_vs__villian
    hero vs. villian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By hero vs. villian
    @drawme:
    That's the only good thing the book has ever had going for it.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Grim said:
    " yeah i understood norman's nudity not really being an issue, and id like to assume MM took Victoria's clothes because he didnt trust her and was searching for weapons( its easy to assume with his power sometimes he just does things like that without thinking about it. also a symbolic "naked before you" situation i guess).
     My problem was that marvel had yet another Surrender. First Captain America, and now HAMMER. I know HAMMER was really just saying it to get  their AVENGERS and Norman back, but bottom line they really had squat. If Sentry didnt gain a new douchebag power then MM would have gotten what he wanted, and even worse, HAMMER would have given it to him. with their level of authority, that was a negotiation. And they surrendered. Why does Marvel seem to thing every American force needs to bend over and present? i dont like it.

and i laughed out loud in shop and almost bought this issue when i read about Sentry. It has always been only a matter of time before something like that was done to make Marvel's Superman into an UBERMAN. But once the giddy clutches of insanity loosened, i put the comic down and spent my money on a lovely Ben 10 watch instead. im very happy with my purchase. 

and id like to thank you @Babs. from now on, the S on Sentry's golden liddle midriff stands for "special". "
    Is there anything in comics you do like or do you dislike everything?
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29  Edited By DMC

Now Norman knows what it feels like to be Doctor Manhatten.....sort of  : P
    Sandbox24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sandbox24

Namor must have left a lasting impression on Osborn with the whole "talking in the buff" scenes. ;)  

Glad to see we're finally getting some development with the Sentry. Up until now my interest in him has dropped considerably.  

Great review.  

Oh! P.S - I would offer Babs my pants AND my shirt in the event of her nakedness.    
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#31  Edited By SevanGrim
    @Vance Astro:
    yes. I like tons of stuff. You can read my reviews (almost all of them are positive), or idk do some recon and look at more than just the handful of my posts. whichever. your call.
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32  Edited By Comiclove5
    @AngelFrost said:
    "Noman is totally hot. "

Barh?
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Media_Master

So this is the nude Norman comic...

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#34  Edited By No_Name_
    @Sandbox24 said:
    " Namor must have left a lasting impression on Osborn with the whole "talking in the buff" scenes. ;)   Glad to see we're finally getting some development with the Sentry. Up until now my interest in him has dropped considerably.    Great review.   Oh! P.S - I would offer Babs my pants AND my shirt in the event of her nakedness.     "
    And I would readily accept them...but what would you do? You would be naked!
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    @Nobody said:
    " Why is Noh-Varr still appearing on the covers? "
    Cuz they want to confuse New Comers into making them think hes in the Team still... and Unsuspecting NOh-Varr fans will buy the comic... unless they know he isnt really there...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.