The Best Issue of Daredevil Yet (review)

Posted by etragedy (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

The fourth issue of Daredevil is even better than the one before - and, up to this point, the best issue of this series so far. Joe Orlando has really upped his game on the artwork. There are still a few panels here and there that seem less than great, but overall, there's more good artwork in this issue than any previous issue. Daredevil's movements look so fluid and dynamic in most of the panels that you can really visualize exactly how he's executing every punch, leap, and judo throw.

Stan Lee's writing of Daredevil as a hero-in-progress is also nice. Just last issue Daredevil decided that he had to have a way to carry his street clothes with him, and a few panels were devoted to him making a special hood to conceal his clothes and shoes in a backpack like 'hood' that he could wear. But this issue, when it's torn open in combat, he decides it's too much of a liability. Likewise, he continues to modify his cane to suit his needs.

Even better is that with this issue, Stan comes up with one of the most interesting villains he's ever created - the Purple Man. The Purple Man is able to affect people's mind, making them comply with all his requests. This leaves Daredevil, Matt Murdock, a man who believes in the rule of law, in quite a quandary; after all, the Purple Man has broken no law - it's not a crime to ask people for things!

The downside here is that we're starting to see the beginnings of Daredevil's billy club as a catch-all, do-anything device. While it's clever when he pre-plans something like getting confessions on a concealed micro recorder, or specially modifying it ahead of time for a particular villain (as he does in this issue); it's really annoying when he just suddenly uses it in completely convenient new ways, such as bending it into a boomerang and throwing it (as he also does in this issue), or perfectly throwing it to hold wide elevator doors, etc.

But between the unique threat of the Purple Man, and the character development in the Matt-Foggy-Karen love triangle, this is a solidly good early issue of Daredevil.

(recommend this review here)

#1 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh wow -- the Purple Man. Talk about one of the most controversial villains ever.

#2 Edited by etragedy (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: I find him really interesting. Especially when Matt Murdock tries to find a law against asking people to give him things - and finds that he actually isn't breaking any laws and will have to find some other way to defeat him!

I know that some of his later appearances like 'Fear Itself' were controversial (is that what you were referring to?), but I find him much more interesting than other mind control villains like Puppet Master.

#3 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@etragedy:

Yep -- in Fear Itself and also his part in Jessica Jones past (in ALIAS). His daughter Persuasion always interested me as well since like her father, she initially used her power to get people to like her in a romantic sense (her being born is due to his influencing her mother) and that abuse of power is creepy.

#4 Posted by etragedy (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: I only read a couple issues of ALIAS, but now I'm going to go read the whole series - that sounds super creepy and awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.