Follow

Daredevil

Series »

A Netflix series set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The First Half of Daredevil Delivers Greatness

• 73 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Warning: There may be a few spoilers here.

The wait is finally over and Daredevil season one is up on Netflix. Many fans breezed through the first season this past weekend. It was hard not to, and we're here to talk about the first half of this first season, all the way up to episode six.

While we did do a review of episode one, which you can check out here, Daredevil is a tough show to review episode-to-episode because this plays out much more like a 13-hour long movie over anything else. There's no "villain of the week" aspects to the show, which a lot of other super-hero television series heavily rely on.

In summation, Daredevil revolves around multiple elements of Hell's Kitchen, with the main focus around Matt Murdock, an emerging vigilante in his section of the city. While he's kicking butt at night, during the day, he has his own law offices with buddy Foggy Nelson and secretary Karen Page, and they're.

On the "bad guy" side of things, Wilson Fi.... (We don't say his name) is one of the folks in charge of the criminal element within Hell's Kitchen. He's part of an organization and people running drugs and rebuilding the city after the battle of New York in the Avengers film. His right-hand man is Wesley who has Nelson and Murdock on retainer as their lawyers. We've now come full-circle.

Six episodes into Daredevil, it's clear Marvel really knows what they're doing with this show for numerous reasons. This fits extremely well into the shared cinematic universe Marvel has spent years creating, but Daredevil stands out as its own, singular piece because tonally, it's completely different from all of Marvel's other films and television shows. Essentially, Daredevil breaks the MCU that we've been seeing for years. The show is dark, gritty, and truly puts off the vibe of what it's like to be a street-level vigilante.

Being Daredevil sucks and that's apparent in the first few episodes. He's beaten down, cut, and has to spent time getting patched up by Claire Temple, and that character is a mixture of her Marvel counterpart and Night Nurse. For every tiny thing Daredevil does for the good of the city, it comes back at him, two-fold and that's the story that's delivered for Claire Temple. She gets caught up in Daredevil's war on crime because she's trying to stitch him up.

One of the most fun fight scenes to watch since Old Boy (The South Korean version, obviously)
    One of the most fun fight scenes to watch since Old Boy (The South Korean version, obviously)

The fight scenes are brutal to watch. They will leave you as tired as Murdock after each one. While there are a few moments where it gets extremely gory, like the bowling alley scene or the very end of that same episode, but Daredevil doesn't overdo it on the grittiness or adult-related content. Sure, there's some blood here and there and on occasion, someone has to take a road flare to the stomach to cauterize a wound, but it's those small elements that make this show feel even more real, like this could be happening right now, aside from the super-powers.

We can't talk about how great these scenes are without mentioning the hallway fight in episode two. It's a single shot and spans over the course of the whole fight as Daredevil takes on a few baddies. The cinematography and choreography are top notch here and while a single shot fight scene may seem a bit bland, the action will keep you on the edge of your seat.

While Daredevil is an extremely cool character and beating up bad guys is great, part of the broad appeal of this show is the team dynamic between Murdock, Nelson, and Page. We're seeing these characters come from nothing and try to establish themselves and their new firm. It's completely captivating and surprisingly some of the best parts of this show, especially as we watch a relationship between Nelson and Page start to blossom.

The actor that takes steals the spotlight for the series is actually Vincent D'Onofrio as the Kingpin AKA Wilson Fisk. D'Onofrio's portrayal of the character can easily be described as "vicious man-child." Whether he's slamming a Russian man's head in a car door or taking an art gallery owner out to dinner, D'Onofrio is captivating. It's hard to take your eyes off of him because there's this feeling that at any moment, he could lose it and seeing how we've seen how far he's gone for someone interrupting his dinner, what happens if someone betrays him or doesn't give him the right order at a restaurant?

The first half of the season has Daredevil sporting a black outfit and mask. This is before he became "Daredevil" though, even though he's referred to as "The Devil" by one of the Russian mobsters earlier. The costume really works well and has a cool, casual look to it. This seems like the Avengers have inspired someone else to fight crime, but Matt hasn't had time to really put together a costume yet. I love the mask and the fact it covers up his eyes. It adds a new element of fear to this costume. What kind of crazed man covers his eyes when going into battle?

While Matt does explain his powers to Claire later on, the way the show covers Matt's powers is pretty simple on works extremely well. We get to see Matt focus on sounds and at times, smells. The series shows he has much better hearing than anyone else, numerous times, without flat-out coming out and saying "I got really good hearing!" Later on, we get to see the world through Matt's "eyes." He describes it as "the world is on fire," and that's what it looks like. Again, this is a great exploration of his powers without over-explaining it to the audience, over and over.

No Caption Provided

On top of the great story, solid acting, and fantastic script, the show looks beautiful. After seeing what Playstation Network's Powers had to offer, which isn't bad, but doesn't have as professional a look as it should, there was a little worry about DD, simply because it is on a subscription, streaming service. How much were they willing to put into the show? Well, DD looks awesome. It doesn't have the same cinematic look as other Marvel films, which is a good thing, but this show does have more of a John Wick look to it, and that's perfect for what Marvel and Netflix are trying to achieve.

So what's not to like about this show? There's actually little to really complain about here. Sure, Charlie Cox's American accent drops on occasion and this is a show you have to watch from episode one to thirteen, without missing anything, which is also something great about the show, but this first half of the season is the best thing we've seen in the way of comic book television.

The first half of this season works as a great complete piece building up to something bigger. The show has a tremendous flow and has mass appeal. More than just comic fans are loving this series and drawn in for the long haul. Everything from the writing to cinematography to the fights scenes are extremely well-crafted in the first half of the season. Again, this is not only a show you need to watch but one that's worth the price of Netflix alone.

No Caption Provided

Stay tuned for our review of the second half of this run.

mikeg1965

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Heck', I'd be willing to help "Kickstart" a Season 2 if they had to. :)

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

totally agree. i have 2 episodes left to watch and i don't have a single complaint about it. From the brutal fight scenes to the excellent story, this series has not dissapointed me. I hope it doesn't end with Defenders and gets a series 2.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Finished it all yesterday, it's just so damn good, all the way through.

SaintOfKillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have 3 episodes left but it's safe to say that Vincent D'Onofrio is hands down the best marvel villain yet, and I know that's not saying much (I hope this changes with Age of Ultron and Ant Man) but his character really is the best part of the show BY FAR.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have a bout 5 episodes left but I love this show, it is plain great. The fight scenes are amazing and the acting is great, I have no complaints.

mikeg1965

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, we can say with certainty that Marvel can "do" Dark.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

The whole show is fantastic but my highlights are:

That fight scene

All of episode 7

The "I am the ill intent" speech.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That single shot fight scene is one of my favorite fight scenes in recent memory.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This show may be, for me, the best comic book adaptation done yet. The first episode just dragged me in so much that I ended up finishing the series yesterday and the only complaint I have is that it's over and I want more. The fight scenes in this show are incredible but what I really ended up loving the most is the characters. Wilson Fisk was done so well and like Matt said you're constantly wondering when he's going to snap and kill someone around him for some small reason. I also ended up loving Karen Paige, she's just got this great charm that makes you fall for her really quickly. My guess is that there's going to be a love triangle between Foggy, Matt, and Karen in season 2 and with the reviews and love this show has been getting all over the web my guess is that season 2 will be announced really soon.

WilliamYates8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never watched a show that has made me want to rewatch it immediately after finishing until this came out. I don't have a complaint about the series. D'onofrio lived up to the hype I've had since they announced his casting. Of course THAT fight scene was incredible but the one in episode 9 took the cake for me.

SaintOfKillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: I really hope they don't do go the love triangle route, love triangles are right up there with things like amnesia when it comes to lazy writing tropes.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great stuff my only complaint is that Wilson come of as a big man baby at time

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it's as much an origin of the Kingpin as it is to DD, but I just can't get behind his portrayal of the character as the Kingpin. What he did as an actor was awesome, but I don't see how that character would be capable of getting into the position of power he was in. I mean, you can possibly assume he was more of a menacing figurehead of their evil conglomeration, and his "assistant" was the real brains behind the operation, but then that just makes the character even sadder.

Other than that, I think the show is amazing and I absolutely love how Ben Urich and Stick are portrayed.

mikeg1965

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mikeg1965

The only Character I absolutely didn't care for was Owlsely. He just seemed so "flippant" & "silly" about everything that even I wanted to smash his head in a car door. He didn't seem like the "type" of person Mr. Fi- "Our Employer" would put up with for even a second. Especially at the Big Party/Fundraiser Episode.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jonny_anonymous: Episode 7 was your favourite? I loved Stick and it was a great episode but I think my favourite episode was episode 9 that being said I haven't seen the last 2 episodes.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sasquatch888

this show is amazing ...they raised the bar on what a "superhero show" could be...highly recommended ...other superhero stuff seems silly in comparison ..no complaints and if I could give it ten stars I would ...I was blown away

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikeg1965: really owlsley was the one of my favorite characters in the whole show and its not like fisk had a choice he was the only one that could handle the money

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@loki9876: Yeah it was just so great to see Stick, the Hand and Stone because it's been so long since we have seen any of these characters in the comics.

mikeg1965

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus:

Oh' I absolutely agree with that, no doubt. His Character was supposed to be irritating and he certainly was :)

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the final episode now. It has been great. "Gripping" is the right word to use. Loved it and can't wait for more.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

The Stick episode is the greatest comic book adaptation ever

I did not stop smiling

Also, though not in the first half, the finale was unreal

symbiotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alkusanagi:

Yep. I had the same feelings towards Fisk. I think it was what they were going for, but I would have preferred him to look supremely confident in front of the sub bosses even when he felt like things were falling apart. He seemed like a baby throwing a tantrum and honestly didn't seem capable of holding a large crime organization together. His assistant was much more menacing. Wesley should be the boss and Fisk should be the strong arm henchman based on this portrayal. IMO of course.

I like how they showed some new layers to him, I just wish he looked like someone who could run a crime organization when he was with the others. He certainly didn't seem like someone whose name you couldn't even speak.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it's as much an origin of the Kingpin as it is to DD, but I just can't get behind his portrayal of the character as the Kingpin. What he did as an actor was awesome, but I don't see how that character would be capable of getting into the position of power he was in. I mean, you can possibly assume he was more of a menacing figurehead of their evil conglomeration, and his "assistant" was the real brains behind the operation, but then that just makes the character even sadder.

Other than that, I think the show is amazing and I absolutely love how Ben Urich and Stick are portrayed.

This is just Fisk starting out as a crime boss though, he worked for Dante Rigoletto before he "retired" at the start of the show.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did have complaints and it wasn't perfect, but I loved it.

Also, that fight scene had me (mentally) screaming Old Boy. It obviously had some influence in it.

This was a great show and I hope a 2nd season comes soon.

SaintOfKillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alkusanagi: @symbiotic: What I liked about fisk was that at the beggining of the show i thought that the whole "we don't say his name" thing was the classic "he's the big bad in the shadows" kind of thing. But after learning more about this version of Kingpin you can see that even though he is really smart he still has these really human insecurity issues. And that's WHY he keeps everyone away from him to the point of not allowing anyone to mention his name but he's also smart enought to make that work in his favor.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Just watched through episode seven. It's good, though it is darker than I prefer most of the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When is season 2 coming?

SaintOfKillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SaintOfKillers

@jayc1324: Unless they fast track it we'll probably have to wait until all the other marvel shows are out (AKA Jessica Jones, Luke cage, Iron Fist, and Defenders) but Daredevil will probably appear in almost all if not all of those shows.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I don't believe they have any plans to do season two yet. They are first doing season 1 for Daredevil, then Jewel, then Luke Cage, then Iron Fist, and then do a final season will all of them coming together as the Defenders.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The bar has been set for superhero shows and its Daredevil.

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Flippin awesome. I am having a real hard time thinking of any TV show that I have liked better.

Fights are fantastic, story is compelling, heck even the theme music in the opening credits is dramatic and compelling and Vincent D'Onofrio should get the best actor emmy for his portrayal of Wilson Fisk. No one else should even be nominated because what would be the point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintofkillers: I'd rather just have more daredevil honestly. I don't want his show to end just so he can be in the defenders.

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is hands down my favorite adaption of any chatacter ever

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably like the only person who thought the show was good yea,but I had some issues with it like some of the acting was kinda bad to me aside from Matt and Fisk characters they were amazing and well the last episode to me felt like a let down,and the suit just did not jell with me at all.I personally liked the black ninja one better.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

DO a PODCAST on DAREDEVIL PLEASE
    ~MiB

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#36  Edited By amazing_webhead

I think I'm like 7 or 8 episodes in. Loving it!

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

This is HANDS DOWN the best comic book TV show we've had yet imo. I love Constantine, The Flash, and Agents of SHIELD but Daredevil is in a league of its own. I would dare say that this Daredevil show has tied The Dark Knight as my favorite comic book adaption of any medium. It was so brilliant and it is exactly what I wanted out of a Daredevil (best Marvel character) show. It very much felt like Frank Miller or Bendis Daredevil, which is my favorite version of the character.

Timotheus316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't help telling people how brutal it is. PG-13 language with NC-17 violence. I watched 1-4 in a sitting and 5-6 last night. May try to round it out today. The show is great. Marvel and Netflix have outdone themselves this time. I can only hope Power Man in whatever incarnation they use will be just as good.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig said:

This is HANDS DOWN the best comic book TV show we've had yet imo. I love Constantine, The Flash, and Agents of SHIELD but Daredevil is in a league of its own. I would dare say that this Daredevil show has tied The Dark Knight as my favorite comic book adaption of any medium. It was so brilliant and it is exactly what I wanted out of a Daredevil (best Marvel character) show. It very much felt like Frank Miller or Bendis Daredevil, which is my favorite version of the character.

you are so correct ...everything you said

GeneralTekno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing indeed, this was.

But what's important to remember, other studios - this wasn't a hit because it was dark and violent.

It was a hit because it adapted a character appropriate to that tonal context.

You hear me, WB?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who was Stick talking to at the end of his episode ?

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

I'm halfway through and I'm absolutely loving it, this is what a comic book TV show should be like. The look and feel is a breath of fresh air to the MCU and has massively diversified the universe, but most importantly it's nailed Daredevil and his 'world'. Also I would say that Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin is my third favourite character adaptation behind RDJ's Iron Man and Kelsey Grammer's Beast.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show is excellent 10/10.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is exactly where I am at too. I'm on episode 7. Thats crazy

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said this to a buddy of mine on Facebook. If Daredevil ends as strongly as it has been in the first 10 episodes, I don't know for sure that Avengers is going to be the top comic property put to film this year.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I want you to know why I'm hurting you. It's not just the boy... it's because I enjoy it."

"He was in the hospital for months. And I slept like a baby."

Some bad@$$ lines in this.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I demand a DD vs Cap fight!

Make it happen Marvel!

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SilverPool

@risingbean: Tbh I didn't think it ended in any sort of grand way. The episodes after 7 were just good (that really says something about a show when an episode was ONLY good). The first 7 episodes were unbelievable though and even including the whole season I'd say it's the best thing Marvel has put out on screen. Same might go for Fox and DC.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the hints of Foggy and Karen. Matt doesn't need to get all the women.

John_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The show is awesome. I hope the rest of the Netflix Marvel shows, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, The Defenders, are exactly like this.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.