Would Daredevil Be As Cool As He Is If He Weren't Blind?

• 51 results
#1 Posted by Adriana_Fox (75 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to think of Daredevil as not being blind since it's kind of what makes him who he is, but what do you think? Would he be as cool if he could see? And what do you think it would be like if he could see? Would he lose his powers/super senses?

#2 Posted by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio

I find myself almost wishing Daredevil wasn't blind. I have no interest in reading about a blind superhero. :<

#3 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the fact that there are heroes out there with disabilities. They persevere and continue to fight the good fight. :)

#4 Posted by daredevil21134 (11860 posts) - - Show Bio

I sometimes forget he's blind lol

#5 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: same here. It feels like Marvel know it too; every so often they have to remind you of it, like this moment:

I think although it's a huge part of him, they do really well (most of the time) to not make it just a gimmick. There's so much more to DareDevil than "the blind superhero".

#6 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZEELLO said:

I find myself almost wishing Daredevil wasn't blind. I have no interest in reading about a blind superhero. :<

Can I ask why not?

#7 Posted by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio

@Imagine_Man15 said:

@ZEELLO said:

Can I ask why not?

It's kind of a downer. It also makes me slightly uncomfortable.

#8 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZEELLO: have you actually read any daredevil runs? If you've been put off by his disability, you really need to give the book a go. I'm pretty sure the fact that he's blind will be the last thing on your mind.

#9 Edited by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manbehindthewires said:

@ZEELLO: have you actually read any daredevil runs?

I haven't. If I were to, is there a particular book or story arc you would recommend?

#10 Posted by MatKrenz (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

If he wasn't blind then that's one less unique thing about him.

#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

No... That's kind of his thing...

#12 Posted by cattlebattle (12792 posts) - - Show Bio

He isn't even really blind though......

Its like asking if you think Batman would be as cool if he wasn't an ordinary human

#13 Posted by daredevil21134 (11860 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manbehindthewires said:

@daredevil21134: same here. It feels like Marvel know it too; every so often they have to remind you of it, like this moment:

I think although it's a huge part of him, they do really well (most of the time) to not make it just a gimmick. There's so much more to DareDevil than "the blind superhero".

That's so awsome lol

#14 Posted by comicace3 (5359 posts) - - Show Bio

@Adriana_Fox said:

It's hard to think of Daredevil as not being blind since it's kind of what makes him who he is, but what do you think? Would he be as cool if he could see? And what do you think it would be like if he could see? Would he lose his powers/super senses?

Hell no. The whole point of the character is to prove the guy is blind and can still kick ass. Which makes him BAWS.

#15 Posted by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

The interesting about Matt is his blindness.

@ZEELLO: Both Frank Millers and Bendis run are both great. A good place to start is The Man Without Fear, you can find it as a trade, however it is maybe not the book for you since it is a origin story it deal with his blindness.. Maybe Born again or the first Bendis TPB (there are 3 volumes) is are better choice for you.

#16 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as he had his enhanced sense I don't see why not. Being blind just makes him more interesting, but he would still be interesting if he could see, just not as much so.

#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio

He would still be cool but he would lose a little something. His blindness is something I find interesting about the character. His sense wouldn't have the same impact as far as interest if he could see, unless they gave him some type of ability involving sight, like X-Ray vision or something. 

#18 Posted by Joygirl (20004 posts) - - Show Bio

If he wasn't blind he'd just be yet another ninja in the endless ranks of them.

#19 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZEELLO: Like Tupiaz said, Miller and Bendis stuff is great. My personal favorite single issue, if you're wanting something with little continuity to worry about, is Daredevil #191. Where DD is sat at Bullseye's hospital bed forcing him to play an involuntary game of russian roulette with him...you soon realise his blindness is the least of his problems lol

#20 Posted by ComicKID777 (287 posts) - - Show Bio

No.Its his thing an it is one of the things that makes him so cool an interesting.

#21 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really. I like the fact that Daredevil is blind because it's rare that you see any superheroes with disabilities in comics and Daredevil is a rare superhero who has a disability that works to his advantage.

#22 Edited by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

If he wasn't blind he'd just be yet another ninja in the endless ranks of them.

If you put in the retrocon yes. I think it is more possible Stan had given him X-Ray vision or something like that since the ninja mythos in Daredevil came much later when Frank Miller took over.

@Manbehindthewires said:

@ZEELLO: Like Tupiaz said, Miller and Bendis stuff is great. My personal favorite single issue, if you're wanting something with little continuity to worry about, is Daredevil #191. Where DD is sat at Bullseye's hospital bed forcing him to play an involuntary game of russian roulette with him...you soon realise his blindness is the least of his problems lol

Brilliant issue. I also like the filler issue 219 by Frank Miller when Daredevil doesn't appear in the story at all. A person that looks like Matt is solving crime/corruption in a little town in New Jersey. I have written a blog about it, you can read it here: http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/tupiaz/daredevil-issue-219-and-the-daredevil-mythos/87-85991/ Also 265 comes to mind. interesting issue taking advantage of The fall of the mutants story (Now when the two paperback trades will be released i think i will give it a go).

#23 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: are you following DD:End of Days at the moment? DareDevil only appears in it once (which is when he's killed) and the rest of the plot has been entirely Ulrich! Again some of the best DD I've ever read and he doesn't even need to be there, let alone blind!

#24 Posted by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manbehindthewires said:

@tupiaz: are you following DD:End of Days at the moment? DareDevil only appears in it once (which is when he's killed) and the rest of the plot has been entirely Ulrich! Again some of the best DD I've ever read and he doesn't even need to be there, let alone blind!

As I'm a trader I wait for the trade. The story though seems to be pretty interesting and then it is like an all time best Daredevil team (sadly without Frank Miller). I'm pretty sure I will buy this trade on release.

#25 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: Such a great team, they really complement each other. Can't be missed!

#26 Posted by chalkshark (1189 posts) - - Show Bio

There have been stories, throughout his long publishing history, where Daredevil's sight was, briefly, restored. The last one I remember was this one.

#27 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Without his disability he would still be cool but overcoming it is kinda what makes him not only great but it defines him.

#28 Posted by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

@chalkshark: It reminds me of this blog by Christine http://www.theothermurdockpapers.com/2012/03/sometimes-in-my-dreams-i-can-see/ She has a lot of nteresting blogs about Daredevil. One of several fan sites for daredevil worth checking out.

#29 Posted by Cap10nate (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the fact that while blind he can still 'see' better than just about anyone with his radar sense. I'd say his other hightened senses make him far from handicapped. Aftr reading a lot of Bendis and Brubakers run, he has become one of my favorite characters. Once you read the stories, you see his afflictions are far worse than no sight. It's kinda why I am enjoying Waids run because it is nice to see him happy after the years of abuse he has endured

#30 Posted by chalkshark (1189 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: Thanks. I'll look into it.

#31 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6487 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure. People would make fun of him a lot less.

#32 Posted by RideASpaceCowboy (527 posts) - - Show Bio

Of all the superheroes in comics, Daredevil is the one I would least want to trade places with. I'd rather be my regular human self and be able to see than have even Martian Manhunter or Dr. Manhattan's powers and be blind, and Matt Murdock is nowhere near either of their levels. It's for that reason that I've never liked the character and would prefer for his sight to be permanently restored (or better yet, enhanced like his other abilities).

Heroes with other disabilities I have no problem reading. Xavier is my second favorite superhero after Superman, and I read comics with women in them all the time.

#33 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, DD might lose something if he gained his sight. I mean, it's a part of the character that I don't think should be changed. I can't think of a specific reason, but I don't think DD would feel the same if he could see. *shrug* 
@RideASpaceCowboy said:

Heroes with other disabilities I have no problem reading. Xavier is my second favorite superhero after Superman, and I read comics with women in them all the time.

Oh man, I really hope that you just worded this really badly. 
#34 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#35 Posted by lewismcgregor (78 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil without his blindness is like Wolverine with out Adamantium or Ironman without the suit. It's a core part of his character. Not just for his superhero moments but for the emotional parts of Matt s life too.

#36 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

Oh man, I really hope that you just worded this really badly.

Haha I had to double-take when I saw that too!

#37 Edited by RideASpaceCowboy (527 posts) - - Show Bio

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

It's for that reason that I've never liked the character and would prefer for his sight to be permanently restored (or better yet, enhanced like his other abilities).

Some ideas for how his sight and other senses could be enhanced are outlined on my post in the Create Yourself as a Superhero thread. I chose this power set for myself because I already have supervision (20/10, twice as good as perfect vision for a regular human) in real life, and it seemed like a natural evolution for how my powers would continue to manifest (though how laser vision surgery would grant me Superb Hearing or Superb Kinesthetic Proprioception would take quite a bit of sci-fi gibberish coming from a highly talented writer). Below are the powers I think would work as well for Daredevil if his sight were cured.

• Superb Optics: Ability to see the entire electromagnetic spectrum, as far as the Hubble Space Telescope, and objects mere nanometers in size.
  • Superb Hearing: Ability to hear sound of any frequency and visualize the noise to perform echolocation.
  • Superb Electroreception: Ability to sense electrical fields
  • Superb Magnetoreception: Ability to sense magnetic fields
  • #38 Posted by daredevil21134 (11860 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him blind

#39 Posted by darktiger (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

He would still be cool but he would lose a little something. His blindness is something I find interesting about the character. His sense wouldn't have the same impact as far as interest if he could see, unless they gave him some type of ability involving sight, like X-Ray vision or something.
    #40 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil would be lame if he could see. I don't understand why people keep wanting to heal characters with disabilities. If Professor X, Barbara Gordon, and the Chief are immobilized, keep them that way. Same thing with mute Cassie Cain. It makes them unique and interesting.

#41 Edited by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio
    @knighthood said:

Daredevil would be lame if he could see. I don't understand why people keep wanting to heal characters with disabilities. If Professor X, Barbara Gordon, and the Chief are immobilized, keep them that way. Same thing with mute Cassie Cain. It makes them unique and interesting.

Well I think with Babs, she got paralyzed after everyone already knew her as Batgirl. Charles was paralyzed the very first time we see him in comics and Cassie I believe was mute because of the events of her childhood so I can understand people wanting Babs to walk and be Batgirl again. It took me a very long time to accept her as Oracle. In fact it wasn't until Batman: Battle for the Cowl that I started to prefer that over her ever walking or being Batgirl again. Daredevil wasn't born without sight but he was blind before he became Daredevil. I'd rather him remain blind. 
    #42 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

@Adriana_Fox:

No...otherwise he would be like Nightwing...

#43 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio
    @chalkshark said:

There have been stories, throughout his long publishing history, where Daredevil's sight was, briefly, restored. The last one I remember was this one.

He could also see in the very last arc of the Vol.1, "Flying Blind". 
    #44 Posted by daredevil21134 (11860 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@chalkshark said:

I believe in a story with Moondragon his sight was briefly restored as well

#45 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio
    @daredevil21134 said:

DD was getting obscure at that point.
    #46 Posted by daredevil21134 (11860 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@daredevil21134 said:

DD was getting obscure at that point.

true

#47 Posted by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

@Vance Astro said:

@chalkshark said:

What issue was that?

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

It's for that reason that I've never liked the character and would prefer for his sight to be permanently restored (or better yet, enhanced like his other abilities).

Some ideas for how his sight and other senses could be enhanced are outlined on my post in the Create Yourself as a Superhero thread. I chose this power set for myself because I already have supervision (20/10, twice as good as perfect vision for a regular human) in real life, and it seemed like a natural evolution for how my powers would continue to manifest (though how laser vision surgery would grant me Superb Hearing or Superb Kinesthetic Proprioception would take quite a bit of sci-fi gibberish coming from a highly talented writer). Below are the powers I think would work as well for Daredevil if his sight were cured.

• Superb Optics: Ability to see the entire electromagnetic spectrum, as far as the Hubble Space Telescope, and objects mere nanometers in size.
  • Superb Hearing: Ability to hear sound of any frequency and visualize the noise to perform echolocation.
  • Superb Electroreception: Ability to sense electrical fields
  • Superb Magnetoreception: Ability to sense magnetic fields
  • Daredevil can already sense the magnetic north pole it is touch upon in a early issue of daredevil. I think issue 9. Daredevil has an echolocation and this is heavy connected to his radar sense. Under water it works like SONAR (i believe this was touch upon in a Frank Miller issue, But not sure). Net time do more research before you demand change. It seems like you don't know DD that well as a character.

@knighthood said:

This.

#48 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil with sight wouldn't be all that daring, would he? Not to mention, he's a role model for anyone who's ever faced a disability.

#49 Posted by NiKva (94 posts) - - Show Bio

His blindness maybe affects his ability to crime fight. I flinch when I see things moving fast in my peripherals, so its possible he could, too.

Being blind probably aids him into being the man with no fear.

#50 Posted by daredevil21134 (11860 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice is blind

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.