Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4766 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Why is he so popular?

spideyfan69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By spideyfan69

I honestly don't see what is so great about him. His powers are weird, his villains aren't all that impresssive, he cheated on his wife that he drove insane. and the guy just seems like a psycho. Can anyone tell me why they like this guy?

Joesoef95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Joesoef95

He's one of the most consistently well written character in Marvel. Try reading Born Again story by Frank Miller

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Because he's a consistently compelling and intriguing characters that has had a wide variety of writers do extraordinary comics with him as the central character.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Because he's a consistently compelling and intriguing characters that has had a wide variety of writers do extraordinary comics with him as the central character.

This...and he's blind, and you'd be a jerk to say anything bad about a blind guy.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By daredevil21134

@Joesoef95 said:

He's one of the most consistently well written character in Marvel. Try reading Born Again story by Frank Miller

Exactly.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By daredevil21134

@Vance Astro said:

Daredevil's popularity in the 90's-Early 2000's>>>>>>>>>Daredevil's current popularity. I'll tell you what makes him so popular when he's doing better.For now his hovering around "canceltown".

Are his sales low?I

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @daredevil21134 said:

@Vance Astro said:

Are his sales low?I

They are up and down, but yea. They've been pretty low since Brubaker's run. 

@spideyfan69 said:
    I honestly don't see what is so great about him. His powers are weird, his villains aren't all that impresssive, he cheated on his wife that he drove insane. and the guy just seems like a psycho. Can anyone tell me why they like this guy?
    What's weird about Daredevil's powers? They work on the scientific theory of the other senses being heightened if one is lost. Stick trained Daredevil to be able to use radar sense which is basically maps out Matt's surroundings in his mind so that he knows what's around him. Daredevil doesn't have many villains left, alot of them are dead,crippled,or in that grey area between hero and villain. That's why Mark Waid is creating new villains for him. Daredevil also shares villains with Spider-Man and considering that Spider-Man is superior to Matt and many ways and his villains are tailor made for him, it IS impressive that he is able to fight well against those characters. Matt didn't drive his wife to insanity, Mr.Fear did. He went and saw his wife faithfully even though she hadn't made any progress. Yes, he did end up cheating but chances are, Milla was never going to come out of it. I personally like Daredevil because he does more with less. Without eye sight, without gadgets and technology, and without the same level of training and intellect other street levelers have, Daredevil always makes a way. He's well respected among other heroes for what he does, he's interesting, and not overpowered. His story doesn't come without tragedy and heartache. In short, I love a good underdog story.
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TDK_1997

He is a well written character that delivers interesting stories and moments and deserves to be so popular.But right now he is actually not that popular.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Funrush

@Vance Astro said:

Woah. I thought ATM it was one of the best-selling titles.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By daredevil21134

@Funrush said:

@Vance Astro said:

Nah,people just overreact to it

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RoboShark

Waid's been killing it on DD since he got on.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Vance Astro said:

Oh thank god
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By daredevil21134

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Vance Astro said:

Oh thank god

He' still probably not going to be taken off the book

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @daredevil21134 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Vance Astro said:

Oh thank god

Can't they give him someone else to make a joke out of and give it to Ruka?
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By daredevil21134

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Vance Astro said:

Oh thank god

Well,Rucka is leaving Punisher.I wouldn't mind Greg Rucka or Remender to write him

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By SoA

his current series kinda lame . but daredevil is a modern day ninja , he is pretty cool but like i said his new series is lame , you should check out older stuff

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @daredevil21134 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Vance Astro said:

Oh thank god

Well,Rucka is leaving Punisher.I wouldn't mind Greg Rucka or Remender to write him

Yea after War Zone, I would love him to come to DD. Wonder what he will actually be writing. I doubt Remender would do DD now since he's going up in the world. 
    Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Katie24

@daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@Vance Astro said:

Waid just won a ton of Eisner awards for his work and all the critics agree that his Daredevil run has been great. It ranked 55 on the Previews Bestsellers Top 100 list, beating out Wolverine, FF, Mighty Thor, Invincible Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Venom,even Deadpool. So I doubt it's anywhere near "canceltowns" zip code and I would hardly call it overrated. It's fine if you don't particularly like the character or Waid's run on the book, but that doen't mean ever one else is overreacting to it. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just sayin.....

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By daredevil21134

@Katie24 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@Vance Astro said:

Waid just won a ton of Eisner awards for his work and all the critics agree that his Daredevil run has been great. It ranked 55 on the Previews Bestsellers Top 100 list, beating out Wolverine, FF, Mighty Thor, Invincible Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Venom,even Deadpool. So I doubt it's anywhere near "canceltowns" zip code and I would hardly call it overrated. It's fine if you don't particularly like the character or Waid's run on the book, but that doen't mean ever one else is overreacting to it. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just sayin.....

Personally I hate it,but if you like it, its fine by me.It dosen't surprise me that a lot more people like DD these dyas since he's acting like Spider-Man

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Funrush

@daredevil21134 said:

@Katie24 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@Vance Astro said:

Personally I hate it,but if you like it, its fine by me.It dosen't surprise that a lot more people like DD these dyas since he's acting like Spider-Man

How's he acting like Spiderman?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By daredevil21134

@Funrush said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Katie24 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@Vance Astro said:

Personally I hate it,but if you like it, its fine by me.It dosen't surprise that a lot more people like DD these dyas since he's acting like Spider-Man

Making jokes when he's fighting.But there other things that annoy such as him wearing a sweater that says"i'm not Daredevil".Tongue kissing a Mob bride after crashing a wedding.I could go on but i'll stop here.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Katie24 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@Vance Astro said:

Making jokes when he's fighting.But there other things that annoy such as him wearing a sweater that says"i'm not Daredevil".Tongue kissing a Mob bride after crashing a wedding.I could go on but i'll stop here.

Waid took one of Marvels only crime/noir inspired books and scrapped everything that made it different and turned it in to a generic superhero/spider-man clone book
    Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Katie24

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Katie24 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Funrush said:

@Vance Astro said:

Waid took one of Marvels only crime/noir inspired books and scrapped everything that made it different and turned it in to a generic superhero/spider-man clone book

I disagree. I really enjoy it and I think it will go down as one of best Daredevil runs.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Katie24 wer you a fan of DD before this run?
    Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bogey

It's because of Ben Affleck

doomsilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By doomsilver

I don't really like him that much. His powers are cool, And Shadowland was alright because of the street-level heroes.

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chronus

Daredevil is popular? I actually thought he was an underrated character with a much smaller fanbase compared to other Marvel characters.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Yeah I dont get it either. All the blind acrobatic martial artists with super senses in my neighborhood are really popular to and I'm like, why?

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I would have to say because he fights for the little guy. He's a lawyer who works for practically free and nearly his entire comic book career he's been exclusive to one neighborhood in New York. Also his power set is pretty dang awesome.

Avatar image for captaincockblock
    CaptainCockblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#31  Edited By CaptainCockblock

Marvel has always taken pride in starting the trend of characters who are 'flawed'. Daredevil is the very definition of that. As Frank Miller put it, "Most superheroes are defined by what they can do. Daredevil is defined by what he CAN'T do." Despite everything that goes wrong in his life, everything that has gone wrong, most of which he blames himself for, and rightly so, he always finds a way to get back up and face it. Despite the living nightmare he wakes up to every day, he manages to overcome and fight for what's right. Not to mention, he's always in the fight. Both of his identities are constantly engaged in stopping injustice. He gives himself 100% to his cause despite the incredible toll it takes on him personally, and he deals with the consequences of that choice every day, especially when he fails. So no, Daredevil's not perfect. He's not always going to be able to save everyone, and because of the choices he made, he's not going to live a happy life. He's human.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By daredevil21134

@Gambler said:

Yeah I dont get it either. All the blind acrobatic martial artists with super senses in my neighborhood are really popular to and I'm like, why?

lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.